1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Test: CPU Core count and RAM scaling in ACC, AC1 and R3E

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Daniel Costa, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Coanda

Coanda Alien

interesting. Do you know the name of the process? I don't see it...

2. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

You could maybe use XTU to switch it off in Windows without going back to bios. Not sure specifically if it has a HT option from memory but likely it does.

Coanda likes this.
  3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Thanks mate ill check it out :cool:

4. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

It will be the biggest one mate

5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

That would be the system idle process. I am not sure I want to kill that.

6. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

It's AC2-Win64.Shipping.exe on mine

7. chavalot

chavalot Rookie

Very good tests.
    Can someone check if with 4 ram modules you gain frames on using 2 modules?
    On the web tomsxxxxxxxx.com published a test that at least with the new ryzen gained performance using 4 modules instead of 2.

DazzyD70 likes this.
  8. seb 6th gear

seb 6th gear Simracer

If you want to create a small batch

wmic process where name="AC2-Win64-Shipping.exe" CALL setpriority "above normal"
    Powershell "ForEach($PROCESS in GET-PROCESS AC2-Win64-Shipping) { $PROCESS.ProcessorAffinity=21824}"

You define your affinity by adding the thread values of the threads you want to select
    [​IMG]

If your CPU thread count allows it, try to avoid first Core (Thread 1 and 2) as Windows as a strange tendancy to use it a LOT thus reducing the single core performance headroom left for your favorite sim!

Krassmus, Neilski and Daniel Costa like this.
  9. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Nice! Do you have any kind of test data to indicate how much of a difference this makes?

10. seb 6th gear

seb 6th gear Simracer

I started to use only 5 threads based on Daniel Costa first post in this thread that's the data, and the reason I set the process to above normal priority is just that I want to game to be served first when it requires CPU power otherwise for the Windows task scheduler all tasks are made equal and served as such. And if you spread the apps you chose to launch yourself accross the cores and threads that is a warranty you'll get everytime the same thing.

11. gt362gamer

gt362gamer Gamer

Seems that RAM speed does matter a ton. Now I'm regretting having bought 2x8 gb ddr3 at 1600mhz to change my non-oc'd 2x4gb ddr3 at 2133mhz, as it seems 8GB is enough. I changed the ram to improve frametimes in Forza Horizon 3 while using a 2GB 960. I changed it to a 4GB 960 and now while playing it all my PC barely uses a little more than 8 GB in total... Should I upgrade my ddr3 to 2400mhz? Is it worth it? Someone could make a benchmark with an i5 4690k (or i7 4790k without HT enabled, I don't think 2MB more of cache should make much difference) to test if it's worth it? I just hate stuttering too much, it's too noticeable. But when it happens, sometimes the cpu is not maxed out, but the gpu isn't either, so it must be a RAM speed bottleneck. I would have never imagined that an oc'd i5 4690k (at 4.3ghz) would bottleneck that much a middle range 2015 gpu...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  12. seb 6th gear

seb 6th gear Simracer

@gt362gamer if I were you I'd try to sell your CPU/Mobo/RAM as a bundle and buy a cheap B450/2600X/16Gb DDR4 3200 bundle...
    Investing 100 bucks in a DDR3 kit to remain sub optimal is pointless, sell your bundle 150 add 150 and now your talking... and you have possibility to swap your CPU to a better AM4 down the line when your finance allow it.

Shiraz Dada likes this.
  13. gt362gamer

gt362gamer Gamer

Well, If I buy it second hand and sell my sticks the change would be around 20-30 euros, and If I buy new, around 50. Not 100. Since I am pretty close to 60fps I was just wondering if it's enough to reach it. It may not be the best buy price/performance, but right now I don't have money to change everything. If it helps: my cpu now scores 630 points in Cinebench R15, which is slighly faster than a stock i5 6600k and at 7600k stock level.

14. hozes

hozes Rookie

Ram speed matters, but in your case ram speed above 1600mhz has no effect, cause the cpu you mentioned, i5 4690k, is support ddr3 up to 1600mhz

15. gt362gamer

gt362gamer Gamer

That's spec support. Using that as a reference, I shouldn't be able to run my i5 to 4.3ghz, but 3.7ghz (when using all cores considerably).

16. I know your situation very well but I've to agree with @seb 6th gear here. It's basicially a waste of money to stay with the old system and not worth the investestment.
    Anyway not exactlty what you asking for but I've done some benchmarks and comparsions before upgrade my system to the one in my signature.
    I5-4670K@4.0GHz:
    [​IMG]
    I7-4790K@4.4GHz:
    [​IMG]
    Imortant in this case is the CPU result.

Here a comparsion of the cores/threads usage of the I7 HTT on/off:
    [​IMG]Maybe it's useful :)

Greets After_Midnight

gt362gamer likes this.
  17. hozes

hozes Rookie

Its k cpu, unlocked so 4.3 ghz in its specs, but ram speed is sth else, blck speed may impact the ram speed, bot the cpu multiplier.

18. Neilski

Neilski Alien

I disagree - the CPU result you show here is showing a multithreaded comparison. AC isn't that great at using extra cores, and if you look back at post #1 you'll see one graph that shows it saturating at 4 cores and another which shows it gaining no advantage at all from turning on HT with 4 cores.

@gt362gamer's OC i5 should be fine (it really should be very nearly on par with a stock i7-4790K) and I'm not able to explain why it isn't - the RAM speed might be playing a part though.

19. gt362gamer

gt362gamer Gamer

Maybe it doesn't help that I don't have a gsync monitor (as I can see that the frametime is spiking, even when the counter is "60fps"). Also, I'm testing the stuttering in offline mode with other AI drivers. I think it runs slighly better on multiplayer, but still I feel sometimes that stutter. Seems that setting the priority of the game in task manager above normal reduces a little bit the stuttering (if the game is at 56-57fps, it will run at 59-60fps), though I couldn't find a way to fix that setting to not be forced to set it each time I run the game, apart from using Process Lasso, but it had a limited usage for free version. Also it doesn't seem like a very good fix as testing the cpu on cinebench R20 on that setting will crash, and sometimes even on R15 will too, apart from the stuttering not being completely gone. I'll post later all the game settings here, but the most important: 1080p, some effects disabled, mirror resolution mid, mirror quality low, mirror distance 70 metres, showing 19 other cars max.

All settings: https://imgur.com/a/W0CSvLj

Sorry about the spanish in Nvidia Control Panel part: basically I have set x8 anisotropic, vsync on (as 99% of framedrops are cpu related and they look even worse with the tearing adding up, so I don't like adaptive here), best performance settings for texture filtering and pre-rendered frames at 1 with low latency mode off as it claims to give better perfomance vs on.

PD: and a correction, seems that my cpu is not exactly at the level of a stock i5 7600k on cinebench r15, but slighly slower. My cpu is in the middle of 6th and 7th i5 gen stock scores according to this video:

20. Maybe you got me wrong here. The "Imortant in this case is the CPU result" is related to the 3Dmark results.
    And I've to disagree. I don't have to look at at post#1 because I've done the tests for myself. The I7 with HTT off will give you the same stuttering experience as the I5. Turn HTT on and it will give you a much smoother ACC even with higher settings.

And I've to disagree again because this is wrong in case of ACC. Like I said I've done the change from I5-4670K to I7-4790K and you'll never get the same performance with the I5. Never. 4 cores/threads are not enought for ACC.
    It's the oposite of the statement in post#1.