1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How can Epic buying out Quixel help ACC?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Stains, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Stains

Stains Simracer

Quixel have a huge library of photogrammetry assets and they are available for UE4 games for free if developers are using UE4!
    How can Kunos use this massive library of near visually perfect assets in ACC?

anthony galmiche likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Blurry textures on anything other than EPIC Apr 26, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars cars floating with shadows other than epic Nov 11, 2020
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Nürburgring GP Sprint Race / GoPro Triple Screen / Epic Video Settings Test Jul 8, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Epic vs High Textures Apr 24, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Shadows appearing in front of car on EPIC settings - Video example Jan 11, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars rain visible outside only on epic settings Nov 6, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars I set Epic graphics and... Oct 11, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Uneven Shadow details outside "EPIC" Jun 2, 2019
    ACC General Discussions This game is epic! Apr 20, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Is AA needed in 4k Epic? Dec 29, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Epic Games vs Steam - Which Distribution Platform for ACC? Dec 15, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Textures will only load on the "epic" setting Nov 28, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Tires and Displays dancing/jittering on TAA Epic (fine on TAA High or lower) Nov 16, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Textures not loading under EPIC settings Nov 16, 2018
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Horrible graphics unless epic settings Sep 16, 2018

3. edcoronag

edcoronag Gamer

Nah, I don't think they would spend time in changing or adding 3D assets. Also, it might impact performance, so no. :(
    But maybe for AC3 or their next thing. Maybe when a RTX 4080 Ti exists and there's a new title in development, we can have the better assets, the ray tracing and all. :) Would be so nice!

4. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

It could definitely improve the visuals even further, no doubt. It's got potential to improve their workflow too. But obviously they've already built everything and I don't believe rebuilding that is where their priorities should be set - optimising what's there would be where I would spend time on, since Kunos just about manages to get the game to run as is. If the game ran better (and no matter what some imply I'm of the opinion it definitely can run better) people would be happier with what's there. Especially those using VR.

5. F4celess

F4celess Gamer

If anything Megascans would be more attractive with their new pricing. I think I heard Kunos longing to develop their own engine/tools again after this UE4 adventure, so chances are they won't capitalize much on the Megascans-Epic relationship.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  6. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

The quality of megascans assets is incredible, but I don't think there's much stuff that would make a significant difference to a circuit-based racing sim.

7. Turk

Turk Alien

I wonder about that. I'm a lay person but it seemed to me like they put a lot of work into the UE engine which does kind of put them at an advantage in that they understand an industry standard better than their competitors. There are probably advantages to sticking with UE. But if it's not suitable for sims, it's not suitable. Kunos know best.

I would have concerns that their graphics engine would be a step down from what can be done by UE.

Although, maybe their time with UE has shown them some tricks that they can transfer over to their own engine, that they wouldn't have known about without using UE.

8. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

You say that and yet look how ACC looks compared to previous "gen" racing games like AC or rF2. Does the increased detail of the assets really make no difference? I think not.

Obviously graphics aren't the most important part of a racing sim. But there's definitely cases where I see low poly models and low-res textures still in ACC, so you do sometimes notice it and that can take you out of the experience.

9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I learned about photogrammetry first in this wonderful (and visually most beautiful) game The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and then again the Spa track of Raceroom uses it in parts, too. Yes, it looks awesome in 2D. When you are aware of it. In Ethan Carter, you were aware, at Spa you hardly take notice, because the action is too fast-paced, you do not hang around in a place for long enough to admire it, but you want to hush by as fast as you can, right? So I wonder whether it is worth it in a racing game, because it comes at a hardware cost, no doubt.

Also, I am not convinced that as a VR player I want a racing game again being done with U4E, there are deficits in ACC that seem to be linked to the engine that exist until today and that I do not have in AC1 or RR.

For a new AC franchise, better give priority to a completely different, maybe even in-house-made engine.

Talking from a VR point of view.

10. Stains

Stains Simracer

Do you think new graphics cards will have the power to eliminate these problems of VR and UE4? If we have enough processing power ACC would be fine in VR!

11. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

I was referring to the type of assets rather than the detail. Megascans overwhelmingly caters towards organic or rough looking assets - the type which are very difficult to do without photogrammetry. Having looked through the library I don't think there are many examples which would *significantly* benefit ACC.

New GPUs will be accompanied by new VR headsets, so unless software development gets ahead of hardware we'll still have the same problems.

12. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I am no coder or technical expert. I did not mean performance issues anyway. My VR experience in ACC is smooth and I can and will not complain about the frames, they are fine, but there are graphics artifacts that I understand (by reading) to be problems deriving not from performance deficits of the hardware, but being implications of the graphics engine. If that is so, more powerful hardware alone will not change that. Only another graphics engine - or altering the existing one, which would be Epic's job, not Kunos'.

Better hardware will be needed when VR headsets show up with higher resolution.

13. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Plenty of track detail that's covered by exactly that. From things like ground textures to concrete barriers.