1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Realistic Seat/View position

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by HomieFFM, Nov 17, 2019.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Racer

Cravenor and uelas_77 like this.
  2. Cravenor

Cravenor Gamer

Simpulse101, HomieFFM and uelas_77 like this.
  3. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Racer

but jokes aside, I really asked him if he could do a video about this seat position stuff,
    don't know if he read it, but maybe hes doing something (or he is just having fun xD).

4. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

He is trolling the trolls who are posting comments how his iracing seating position is giving them cancer and how he should be using dashboard view for best expirience etc etc.

5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Not on twitter but if someone could ask him for a good side on photo of his actual seating position similar to the Austin Martin earlier in this thread that would be handy.

HomieFFM likes this.
  6. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Racer

Holy Cow guys,

I have to share something with you... I was driving around and something felt wrong,
    I was missing Apexes, spinning around and so on. I also couldn't setup the steeringwheel somehow realistic, it always wasn't 100% right,
    the horizon was not where it should be, but my real steeringwheel was in the correct spot compared to the virtual car.

That was so frustrating that I started to measure the distance to my Monitor again, directly from my eyes to the screen, to a millimetre accuracy.
    I'll checked the FOV calculator again and noticed I had to add 10cm distance, the FOV went from 23° down to 21° ... that doesn't sound much, but it made a hell of a difference!

The distances felt right away realistic! Lining up the steeringwheel with the car resulted in a much more accurate position in relation to the horizon! I was driving so much better I couldn't even stop the practice session xD

So before trying to make a good Steeringwheel position doublecheck your FOV, it's freaking crucial you wouldn't believe! (Monitorheight and distance still also important!)

What I also found very helpful: go to the settings and map some buttons for the seatmovement (forward, backward, up, down).
    Pitchmovement is somehow not possible to map, but for that you can still use the viewing setup menu.

When you are using the normal viewing setup menu for backwards for example, the distance is limited to 60, but when you use the mapped key for backwards you can move without a limit.
    That way I could use the headrest and seatbelts as landmarks to get a much more precise position for the head.

I'm very happy with the result, it feels so nice to drive now!

IMG_20191122_005451.jpg

Cheers.

Edit: I'm actually too far away with the seat position on that picture look on the next side for updated settings)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Gopher04 and grandepunto like this.
  7. Jynnantonix

Jynnantonix Simracer

But in VR your view is like real life, so I would absolutely use proper head position.

HomieFFM likes this.
  8. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Racer

I'm not using VR anymore but I also would definitely recommend a proper headposition, the fact that you can look left and right and directly to the apex makes this a no-brainer.

If you are used to the wrong/too high headposition and then try a realistic one it can feel very strange at the beginning. So everybody who is saying he can't drive like that should give it more time and practice.

It's the same thing as with the correct FOV settings. Coming from the arcade like FOV position you will say "WTF?!" at the beginning, but once you get used to it you will never go back to the wrong FOV.
    (Which doesn't mean you can't drive with the wrong FOV, your brain can adapt to that wrong vision and you still be able to break hotlap records.)

Still this feature feature with the crosshaires would be something very helpful, even for VR users, to get the headposition more easily correct:

I still don't know how this looks like, because I never raced in AC, coming from raceroom, directly jumping into ACC.
    But we maybe should try to request this feature. Because the headposition has such a big impact on your racing experience, that I think this would be a big improvement.

But I don't know if any of the Devs reads all of these posts.

Otherwise I'm now getting good results with using the seatbelts, headrest and the virtual steering wheel pylon as reference points. The view angle + height seems quite realistic (look at my last post)

Greetings :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    fnegroni and Maciej Malinowski like this.
  9. Trifighter78

Trifighter78 Rookie

I have the same problem. My 27 inch triples are 580mm away from my head. Based on this I have a FOV of 32. When I try to adjust the camera, so that the steering wheel in the game has the same size as my wheel, I can not bring the camera
    far enough back.

10. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Racer

Did you mapped the buttons for moving seat forward, backward, up and down? Because only using the mapped buttons you can move the position with no limit.

The other thing is you have more general viewing positions. Third person, cockpit with driver, cockpit without driver.

It's very important to know if you are trying to use the view setup menu for cockpit with or without driver, the numbers for the same position will be different. So if you use 60 distance with driver and you put 60 distance without driver you won't end up at the same position.

So start with button mapping and then try to use the cockpit view without the driver and steering wheel. Go back until you see the headrest and seatbelts, now move to the position where you can imagine the head, stay there and use pitch in the view menu and use the virtual steering wheel pylon as a reference point. Adjust maybe a little bit up, down, back and forward again (but not too much!) .

Now you should end up in a realistic position if your FOV is calculated correctly and your triples have the correct height position (when you are sitting straight you should be looking directly in the middle of the screens without looking up or down)

(Edit: In order to get the headposition more correctly look a few posts below for updated settings)

11. Trifighter78

Trifighter78 Rookie

When I do so I get the seat-ears into the picture, so I canˋt see out of the window = triple screen for nothing.

HomieFFM likes this.
  12. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Racer

Alright, I have to thank you, because of your triplescreen problem I noticed I was too far away with my seatposition.
    On my pictures I'm actually almost at the back of the head (thats why you just see the seat-ears).

So in order to move in front of the head where the eyes actually are you can use the headrest/seatears.
    Screenshot_20191124-223331.jpg
    (you see the eyes are at the end of the seat ears, so that's where we want to go!)

The seat ears actually help to get the correct headhight and eye position much more easy!
    01.jpg

- move back until you see the seat ears
    - now use the lateral position change (in the view settingsmenu) to move to the left
    - also use the up and down button to be in the middle of the seat ear
    - move in small steps forward, then again... left, forward, left (you always have to see the seatear)
    - repeat this until you reach the end of the seat ear (you just see one small piece of it)
    - now push it once more forward (should be a very small step) and the seat ear should be gone
    - stay there and just use the lateral option to go the right until your real steeringwheel is centered with the virtual steeringwheel pole ( lateral = 0 )
    - you can change the height + tilt a littlebit - but not too much

this is the result with a single screen 35'' 21:9 compared to reality:

comp.jpg

For triplescreen it should be even easier:
    You can use the left and right monitor and just move forward until the seatears are gone (but also should be right on the edge).
    Depending on how big your monitors are or how the position+angle of them is, you are still be able to see the seat ears a littlebit.

on the other side keep in mind: In some Cars you are actually see the end of the seat side ears in the peripheral vision (but not the whole ones ;D)

13. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

Isn't it unrealistic and detrimental to use screen area to display wheel and dash when your screen is placed beyond your sim wheel and dash?
    Adjusting what is called 'seat position' to reflect 'screen position' would seem to me to be making better use of your display/s.
    Stated differently, drivers don't see a second image of their wheels within their windscreen space. Move your views forward unless your screen is in front of your wheel (VR).

14. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

It's just a way to adjut, using steering wheel as a reference, after setting it up u just turn it off and u drive without it but u need it as that reference point for setting up your position in the virtual world at the first place

HomieFFM and Max Doubt like this.
  15. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

HomieFFM likes this.
  16. trutya

trutya Simracer

he has some point in general :D
    but it's the opposite for me. i "sit" as far and high as i can because of the single monitor. i have to see the mirrors sideways...

anyway just a question: how can you set the speed of looking left/right? earlier it was faster, not it's very slow, and that's annoying.

17. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Mine was very slow after 1.1, but now it's fast again. It changed back after one of the hotfixes. Weird that your is still slow... I didn't change any settings.

18. trutya

trutya Simracer

on the old PC it's fast (1.1.2) and last week i installed it clean to the new one, it's slow since it's been installed, same version (1.1.2)
    i didn't find an option anywhere to set it...

19. semil

semil Rookie

It seems as if for dashboard view look left/right is fast and for cockpit view is slow. If I'm not mistaken ofcourse

20. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

That's certainly how it was for me initially after 1.1, but now both views look left and right quickly. :confused:

EDIT: Not complaining. Fast is best. Just don't know why some people still appear to have a difference.