1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dynamic Weather Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by MsportDAN, Apr 4, 2019.

1. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

If we talk about forecast yes, we can have way better solution in comparison to what we have now. And to me as player, also now is a "high-priority" to have a proper weekend forecast.
    Obviously not 100% sure, and not hour by hour prediction. Could be enough to have morning/midday/afternoon/nidnight prediction with a variable level of accuracy and bla bla bla.

But anyway, forecast is a thing.

Weather is a whole different story and i prefer how is working now to slots system. Slots are the worst weather system, see rf2 and pcars.
    If you run 1hour race and it's raining in the beginning, you already know that rain (the same rain) will remain at least for 1/4 of the race (15mins) because of slots.
    If in the middle of the race weather is changing sun->rain or rain-> sun, you already know that it will remain in that way at least for 15 mins... and so on for every possible weather changing.

What we have now is a total dynamic system that produces variable and unknow final results.
    Variable and unknow.
    This is the meaning to have a believable weather system.

What we need now is a better dry/wet option (right now random = rain in almost every race) and a better forecast system.

romandevision and tjr like this.
  2. the_stig90

the_stig90 Racer

I miss a percentage display how wet the surface is actually.

And is the weather on big tracks everywhere the same, for example in spa it could be dry at la source, and heavily raining at les combes, if the rain comes from south

It would be damn cool to have these scenarios, weather arriving from a direction and not everywhere the same at the same time

3. Turk

Turk Alien

I hope every one realises this weather discussion is describing settings that were never supposed to be part of the current system and scheduled rain is a new concept that more than likely isn't coming to the game any time soon.

As far as I'm aware the weather isn't hugely adjustable beyond the settings of clear, cloudy, etc.. etc.. The variability just lets your current setting wander towards one of the other settings, I don't know if you can even tell it a direction to wander (warmer/rainier) so it's all very random. As it's random it could be hard to give a weather prediction, maybe it's possible I don't know but we've gone down an alternative path to the one ACC is on.

4. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

this is not possible in acc, end will never be.
    It brings too many works in many areas to be possible in acc.

5. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

Not sure if this should go in this thread or elsewhere but does anyone else think the pace of the AI in wet conditions is much faster relative to their dry pace?

I'd setup a 12 hour race at Spa with dynamic weather, 50% variability. Around the 2hrs 30min mark rain arrives and cars which I'd put a lap down in the dry (98% skill, 0% aggression) are now catching me up and punting me off the track (a whole other matter!). When I wasn't getting shunted off my lap pace had dropped from 2min 22sec in the dry to 2min 31sec in the wet. The AI seemed to have a lot more grip in the higher speed corners and were braking as if the track was dry.

Freddie Seng and earlyapex like this.
  6. henkjansmits

henkjansmits Simracer

Yeah a forecast combined with a variability slider would be a good way of setting the weather.

My main problem ATM is that on public servers only around 1/30 of the typical 20-30 mins races or so has any rain. That is a pity given that rain is well done and interesting. I think that is somehow related to the way Kunos let's you configure servers.

7. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Simracer

Yes, it's been mentioned here and there by me and other people but I'm not sure Kunos will do anything about it....another reason why I don't use dynamic weather.

8. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

im still shocked only a few of us realise the wide open issue with offline random weather. People talking about forecasts and that, but the fact that if you do a random start track conditions you will 99% get a wet start with some amount of standing water. Please KUNO realise this issue and rework the system to pick between yes/no for wet start, then give the amount of wet after choosing yes to wet?!

Yes I can just adjust the slider manually - but what the point in that?!

9. In the championship options, what does real weather mean? fixed weather?

10. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

It's supposed to replicate the conditions of each actual race weekend. No idea how accurrate it is.

11. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

It replicates the conditions of the actual race weekend, in terms of chance of rain, cloud cover, variability, etc. It won't give you the exact same weather that occurred.

Freddie Seng likes this.
  12. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

I think this weather could do with revisiting on the competition servers. Having storm conditions really discourages people from sticking around. Just done a race at the Nürburgring in which I and one other driver stuck it out.

Qualifying was wet (OK only five of us on the server at this point). We transition to the race and only two of us take the grid in heavy rain conditions. The first 20-25 minutes was OK as we found our pace, low 2:12's as I trailed by 6-7 seconds. Then the race started to transition to yellow storm conditions where it stayed for the rest of the race. I took the lead around the 35 minute mark when the other driver had a spin at the left just after the Schumacher S. There's a nasty river that forms across the track just after the overhead gantry. Unfortunately for me all the rain made me desperate for a pee and I had to stop around the 42 minute mark for a quick trip to the toilet. I re-joined behind where I stayed for the rest of the race, a spin on the penultimate lap causing damage leading me to crawl round on the final lap. By the end our lap times had dropped back to the 2:23's!

The point being, in my view, when conditions get this bad it's no longer about racing. It's solely about surviving the conditions and while this might a fun challenge the first time you encounter them the novelty quickly wears off. I was on a public server at the weekend running Spa where the race started in storm conditions and that was practically impossible to stay on the track for me and so it transpired most of the other drivers. I was driving the Porsche 991.1 on both occasions.

For the race just gone I'd learnt a few lessons so had raised the ride height 10mm at the rear and 15mm at the front setting the wing to max. This definitely helped in keeping the rear in check but did lead to some high speed understeer. I was having to lift for the kink on the back straight under heavy rain when the other driver in the new Aston Vantage was able to keep it flat. Which highlights the other problem. The default wet setup, at least in the Porsche, is in my view only good for conditions up to medium/heavy rain. Any prolonged heavy rain or worse and you have to be making changes just to keep it on the track. Not very welcoming for new/inexperienced players.

Unless Kunos have secret plans to introduce red flags or safety cars where the race is neutralised until the conditions improve I'd vote for conditions no worse than heavy rain on official servers.

romandevision and Kefuddle like this.
  13. Kefuddle

Kefuddle Racer

Totally agree. Strorm conditions offline makes little sense and is rediculous online. Those are red flag conditions in reality. Spa is undrivable unless always starting the race with a full soft, high ride height wet setup, even with slicks. There needs to be an option for the maximum intensity, which realistically is currently what ACC understand to be somewhere between medium and heavy rain.

mister dog likes this.
  14. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

The issue of Kunos allowing undrivsble conditions in race was raised earlier and so far I didnt here their opinion on that subject, despite unswering some other questions which are not as important. I would assume that they have other things that they take care first. Their team is small and most likely person who is responsible for weather is busy with other things. In any case, yellow storm and somewhat white storm are considered as red flag conditions in RL. I certainly hope they will look into it. Another thing that I would like to raise is TRACK WETNESS. My understanding that all tracks have good drainage system and even when there is a heavy rain, wetness shouldnt raise depending on how long the rain is on. After some time wetness of track should stop raising because drainage takes all incoming water after certain point. Some tracks have worse drainage which should lead to more wetness, while other tracks have excellent drainage and even if you throw heavy rain on them their wetness will not go too high. As it stands now I am not sute that it works that way, as I feel yhe longer and heavier the rain the more wetness there is.

15. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

Did half a race earlier at Zolder, everyone else had quit by half way so there wasn't much point hanging around. Qualifying took place in storm conditions, I just nabbed pole right at the death. The right/left/right chicane was something of a lottery and there was another river across the track just before the hairpin where you had to exercise a lot of care. This time the race started with heavy rain and eased to medium but by the time conditions were more manageable the few that were on had all left. Just looked in on another one going on now at Hungaroring to see what the weather was doing. Once again storm conditions in practice!

That's the last three competition servers I've joined all with storm weather at one point or another.

16. earlyapex

earlyapex Hardcore Simmer

I'm doing spa 24hrs with real weather and the rain came in very suddenly like an on/off switch at eau rouge and by half way down the kemmel straight, message stating wet tyres were optimal was already up.
    The rain didn't creep in with a few spits of rain at first, didn't seem realistic and I saw this before in a sprint race at silverstone, identical on/off rain like I drove into a wall of it and two turns later, optimal tyres were wets.
    And then the AI don't lose as much grip as the player ruining the AI % setting that was balanced in the dry.

17. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Maybe there's a problem in ACC in this regard, always a possibility. But sudden rainfall like an "on/off switch" is something that exists in reality as well... Not to mention localised rainfall you'd be driving a car into at speed.

18. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

"Thunderstorms have no place in racing games"

Looks like SRO didn't get the memo.

[​IMG]

19. khrop

khrop Racer

I think the current system, while great (please don't put slotted weather in!), needs a lot of tuning.

I attempted to do a CP race tonight, Zolder - 14 people turned up. Practice on friday was dry with a very warm track, but it started raining at the very end of it. Then on Saturday qualifying session started out in dry again, but started to rain 10 minutes in, and by the end of that session a yellow thunderstorm icon appeared and it started to pour. The race was also set to take place on Saturday but an hour afterwards and.. it started in full-blown thunderstorm with literally undriveable conditions. I set my Merc's TC to 11 but it didn't help much, the traction control was acting constantly even in 4th gear going down the straights. Needless to say, most of the server left after just 15 minutes because everyone was just sliding around on the track, spinning out, plain dangerous.

Setting up the servers for our league has been a PITA already. People were angry that last season the first random weather race was in thunderstorm for one tier but the sun was shining bright for the other tiers. We had the cloud level set to 0.25 and the randomness at 3, with no rain level set. I think the system is way too delicate as of now. I don't think that it is possible right now to set the dynamic weather values so that there is a possibility of an overcast, grey sky but with no rain pouring down. Anything over 0.3 cloud and 3 randomness just bumps up the thunderstorm possibility levels (taken from Minolin's spreadsheet from a thread in the MP forums) to 11%. 0.4 cloud bumps it up to 25%. It's way too easy to tip over the weather using very low values into very extreme scenarios. Now we're testing the weather settings for an upcoming round and we already had sessions where it would be storming for the whole race. I'd be okay with some occasional flash thunderstorms where it would rain heavily for 10-15 minutes, maybe force people to take rapid decisions in regards to pitting or gambling, but not where the conditions are so bad that the whole track becomes a skid pad for over half a day.

Cascader likes this.
  20. Gopher04

Gopher04 Simracer

This is where PCars 2 got something right, their real time weather system was excellent..I'm not worried about duplicating the weather conditions from a particular season, just want what we have to be better tuned and more random, and for me get rid of Stormy conditions and such dark effects.