1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Unreal

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by el_goe, Sep 13, 2018.

1. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

UE4 is a good engine, better than most. If any one can come up with a faster anti aliasing algorithm for high detailed moving images , please let the rest of the world know. All the 'better performance VR games currently have lower quality graphics, in terms of lighting and shading' , did you watch the shadow project over the weekend and see the difference in quality between ACC and the rest !

2. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

A 1080ti is good for 100+ fps at 1440p with mostly epic. Use dsr or custom res to implement on a 1080p screen, it will then be available in graphics. You can res scale on top of that a bit depending on target fps.

3. J.Seyerle

J.Seyerle Rookie

I think unreal works well but I have a high end system (i9 and 2080ti using 32:9 1080p) and the low frame rate (mixed EPIC and HIGH) are what makes me spend my time in other sims. RRE, RF2 and IRacing might not not look as great as ACC but they still look good and I have butter smooth gameplay.

If ACC has a long life maybe next gen video cards and unreal optimization will make ACC also butter smooth. We will see.

4. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

What do you consider to be low frame rates? With the system spec you have you should have no problems at all with good FPS.

5. Stains

Stains Simracer

What Sims do you play?
    rF2 is maxed out at 4k
    AMS is maxed out at 4k with massive AA
    AC is maxed out at 4k with extra FX in CM
    R3E is maxed out at 4k
    ACC is mixed settings (mostly ultra) at 4k but resolution scale at 80%
    So for me ACC is the hardest to run! It definitely looks the best but that beauty takes power to run.

6. Stains

Stains Simracer

I play at 4k and KTAA looks bad! TAA has issues but it definitely removes aliasing but leaves ghosting where KTAA leaves aliasing but has no ghosting. The whole reason for AA is to remove aliasing, KTAA failes at that.

7. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

I think ACC is great looking and running actually very smooth on my machine at least. i7 8700K, 2080ti, 2560x1440 res, everything set to epic (no mirrors) and i achieve witha field of 16 cars always between 90 and 130 fps. Given how good this game looks i think its a very good framerate.
    I wonder if they will implement always the latest stuff the Unreal engine gets updated with. Couple days ago for example i saw upcoming foliage. Will the current one be replaced with the new one? How frequent will the engine updates of Unreal go into the actual games that use this engine?

8. J.Seyerle

J.Seyerle Rookie

Less than 100.
    If I turn off mirrors i have th3o, 90-120 but I like mirrors so they must be on.

9. Ak1504

Ak1504 Racer

I don´t understand why so many people think/say UE4 looks bad, performs bad ect...

ACC actually runs better than RaceRoom for me. And the graphics quality and details are insane in comparison. Amazing whats possible with UE4.

I made 2 clips to show the fps and ingame settings with identical settings of 24 AI, Nürb GP at noon, same car, same start position even identical FoV.

Here are some pictures to see the insane details in comparison:

(Includes player and AI cockpit comparison viewed from the free flight external camera!)

https://abload.de/gallery.php?key=jUJC2hJb

And all that+the features of everything dynamic in ACC is really impressive for me :)

So i hope Kunos will stick with the UE4 !

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

Very cool comparison!

Would agree, ACC for me runs very much equal with other current-gen titles (4K, 2080S, mix of epic and high settings about 60FPS in good weather, or at worst 50 if very complex scenes with rain and many lights).

That's pretty much par for the course for any game released in 2019 I own. It also seems in a reasonable relationship compared with AC1 feamerates and level of detail.

RF2 by comparison pushes far less detail, for sure it's faster. But thats comparing apples and oranges.

Tim Larsen and Ak1504 like this.
  11. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

I came across a neat trick in the RD forums. I previously had resolution scaling set to 150% in game which, although I didn’t really notice it, had dropped my FPS quite low. By using the Nvidia sharpening available in the Nvidia control panel I can now drop the in game sharpening to 100% but still have the picture looks as good yet I gained at least 20 FPS. Well worth trying, particular if you’re on a 1080 screen and wanting a good combo of a sharp image plus good performance.

12. eracerhead

eracerhead Hardcore Simmer

What was your in-game sharpening set to, previously?

13. XzzDSA

XzzDSA Racer

When you turn up everything to 11. UE4 as Kunos has implemented it, looks fantastic.
    Unfortunally, no real PC can actually run at an acceptable and competitive framerate for this to be possible.

When turning back down the graphics, game still can look great, but my biggest issue with it, from a driving PoV. Is clarity.
    Seems like the only proper fix currently implemented is upping the resolution scale past 100%.

From my tests at about 150% you get a really really sharp image, even on objects that are far away, thin line textures on the asphalt and so on.
    But already at 110% it seems to have a noticable difference.

I'm still testing all sorts of different combinations. Basically trying to reach the same sort of clarity that AC1 has, while still having the game run great (100fps+).

As has been stated earlier by devs, they chose UE4 so that they could focus on gameplay. From an outside perspective I have a hard time figuring out if this actually turned out to work that way for Kunos.
    Or if they had to spend a lot of time anyway on 'fixing' stuff in the engine, to fit their needs.
    So much so that they might as well should've stuck to their in-house tech, and developed that from AC1.

What I'm hoping for the future is that they prioritize the playability/clarity and feel of the game, over the outright eye-candy(even though it's nice and makes for some beautiful screenshots).

GRFOCO likes this.
  14. Geoff holden

Geoff holden Rookie

15. Geoff holden

Geoff holden Rookie

It will get better but you will have to wait for 3080ti. They upgraded the graphics but they did know it would be a blurry mess. Single player on epic settings is great but jittery. If you turn settings down to mid , cars start floating. For me high is ok but other cars are blurry when they get a few feet from you. I'm running 2080ti with i7 8700. Hp reverb. Dont look for it to get better in vr before upgrading graphics card.

16. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thank you so much for bringing facts to the table of this discussion!

f_deutsch, GCCRacer and Ak1504 like this.
  17. romandevision

romandevision Simracer

I think that R3E looks good enough for the game of 2013.

Is it strange to compare of the game 2018 or I don't understand something?

18. Ak1504

Ak1504 Racer

Yep you missed the point. ^^

romandevision likes this.
  19. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

The point was to show that even though R3R is based on an older engine it does not really perform that well on current systems and it also looks dated while not performing well too - while ACC looks great and in relation to how good it looks it also performs well.

20. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

One man’s low frame rates is another man’s great performance. For me, the FPS is less important than smooth, stutter-free graphics.

LeDude83 and Mogster like this.