1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Unreal

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by el_goe, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

As far as I can remember, a Kunos teammember has reveiled this numbers some time ago in the tripple thread. I was a frequent reader for having tripples (and oculus cv1) but wasn’t able to use untill “true tripple” multivieuw rendering was present. Both tripple as VR users represent a very low number of the total amount of users. Another fact that was revealed is that the casual forum readers here dont represent the majority at all (talking about equipment and ways of use).

LATE4APEX likes this.
  2. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

Polls are meaningless unless the sample that responds is a representative sample of the community overall. But of course they tend not to be. If we run a poll about “is VR important to you or not” here, then it firstly only samples from people registered on the ACC forum (a hardcore subset of the ACC user base)and secondly , it’s self selecting, so the people who choose to respond will be disproportionately interested in VR (typically because they’re VR users already, occasionally because they’re haters).

3. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

4. lordpatou

lordpatou Simracer

All that kknd off poll are biased, only Kunos can tell us how many players use VR.

5. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

Sorry but a poll which has less than 250 respondents out of the many thousands who use racing sims can’t possibly be seen as representative of the user base.

6. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Damn, its 50 short of your made up number of 250.
    Will have to bump my own thread to try and get a few more respondents.

Polls only show a snapshot of what is real.
    Whether you have 100 or 100,000 respondents, it should still give a good (rough) idea.
    However the more that respond the more accurate it should be.
    But this till can depend on what group of people are asked to respond.

If we ran this poll on Steam it would be different, if we ran it on Oculus Home it would be very different, if we ran it on a Call Of Duty forum it would again be different, if we ran it on a F1 Codemasters forum it would be vastly different.
    A poll can target the audients it wants, to have the results its looking for.

7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

8. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

That is a poll made in a hardcore simracing community full of people that are frustrated race car drivers. If you make a poll about sexual orientation in a gay bar the results would make you believe that almost all humanity is gay. Polls don't work that way if you want them to be meaningfull, if you go to steam hardware survey you discover that the VR total users are less than 1% of the total user base https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/. Only kunos knows the real amount of VR users in their sim, but I tend to believe that it's closer to the steam poll than to the racedepartment poll because it is a lot less biased.

Goony8, LeDude83 and GCCRacer like this.
  9. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Of course if you carried out the same poll in Steam you would get a different result.
    Steam is full of different games and Sims are only a VERY small fraction of them.
    Why would I go into a general gaming site to find out what 'sim racers' mainly race on?
    Going in to a sim racing forum is the obvious choice when wanting to know sim racers opinions surely?

So, you believe that the amount of ACC racers using VR is 1%?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  10. Tristan Cliffe

Tristan Cliffe Simracer

Pretty sure he didn't mean that 250 is the threshold for a relevent result, but that your poll just had less than 250 responses.

After_Midnight, LeDude83 and vortex19 like this.
  11. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Yeah... I would say maybe 1.1% of steam users are sim racers, so that 1% for users with a VR headset is actually a fairly significant number.

As a fun fact more people on steam use VR headsets than Linux.

PS, if Steam has 90 million monthly active users and 1% has a VR headset that’s still 900000 headsets. Not sure how big the sim racing market on PC is user wise but I doubt it’s too much over the million mark

Thug likes this.
  12. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

Yes it does have less than 250 (its actually on 214 now).
    If it had 250 then he could have said it had less than 300.
    I may have misread it, but it looked to me as though 250 was a threshold when he wrote 'less than 250 cant be seen as representative'.
    I may be wrong though, so willing to stand corrected.

13. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

250 wasn’t some sort of threshold. I meant that results from such a small sample size are virtually meaningless unless the maximum number of people who could possibly take the survey is also very small. I was tired and couldn’t be bothered to accurately add up the total number of votes! In a recent poll on one of the flight sim sites, the results gave the impression that most flight sim enthusiasts used VR whereas more reliable evidence (an external survey with over 15,000 respondents - an excellent sample size) showed that this was very far from the case - only 11% actually used VR for flight simming. I’d be very surprised if more than 20% of sim racers used VR.

LeDude83 likes this.
  14. alex bonner

alex bonner Racer

Considering SPS has been in the UE engine since before 4.18 and the reason Kunos said UE was good because it has all the assists I would say if there was a ROE they could get it working. If your not going to use the tools they are provided with then yes I’m saying they are holding back a proven VR technology that has worked wonders in other titles it was implemented within. Most likely because of cost.

What makes you think they can’t do it?

15. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

Seriously? You really think they’d sabotage their own sim for VR users if it was possible to easily make it much better?

Because they haven’t? Kunos is made up of a passionate set of devs and I just can’t believe they’d ignore an easy optimisation.

16. marcos1988

marcos1988 Racer

Aaaaaaand back to reality Alex!

17. alex bonner

alex bonner Racer

Yes. I’m saying they could if they wanted to but for whatever reason they decide not to. I’m sure they have their reasons and I’m sure they are valid from a business point of view.
    UE4 supports SPS and has done since 4.11. It’s been there all along.

What makes you think they can’t implement it???????????

18. Serge M

Serge M Alien

It’s in a different branch of the Unreal engine. For whatever reason Unreal runs the VR branch separately, not sure what’s involved with having an ACC build for that but if nothing else maintaining two different builds would not really be viable, especially for a small studio like Kunos.

Instanced stereo is another thing, pretty sure that would be enabled but that’s a guess

This is what everyone wants for VR:https://developer.nvidia.com/vrwork...i-lens-matched-shading-and-single-pass-stereo

Sadly absolutely no one has built a game with that branch of Unreal for whatever reason

GCCRacer likes this.
  19. Spunge84

Spunge84 Rookie

Happy New Year Vortex.
    Maybe we should look at the bigger picture and think about it objectively.......I don't think Alex is suggesting they're sabotaging their own sim whatsoever, but he makes a very valid point in a very fair way about the current state of the VR side of the game.
    If the technology is there to enable them to make the game perform better for VR users, and they're not using it, then they're absolutely holding back a proven technology and as a result the progress of that game.
    Why? well that's for Kunos to explain and as Alex has already said, they may indeed have a valid reason for doing so. But surely the game has been out for long enough for them to have at least started to implement some VR optimisations, or at least have given the community an insight on how/why these things might not have been possible so far if they haven't.

It's not really fair to respond in such a way to suggest that Alex, or any other VR user for that matter, is being unreasonable or is asking for the world, when the technology to get there is already available to use to get the game to a workable VR state at a decent quality.

VR is no longer a tiny little minority and as has been mentioned before, as the technology is becoming more and more affordable, available and better quality, more and more are making a move to using it. I think we all agree that the devs at Kunos are some of the most dedicated in the business, and i fully expect them to carry on doing a great job with the game. I've been part of the journey from day one of the beta, and the game has come on leaps and bounds since then. It'd be nice to think that maybe the devs are now focusing a little more on VR now that the Base game has been brought up to the level that it has.

alex bonner and houssen like this.
  20. Turk

Turk Alien

I'm slightly surprised VR is so high. Although, when I look up the price of ultrawide monitors they aren't significantly cheaper than a mid range VR head set. Out of the 3 high end display options ultrawide, triples and VR, VR is fairly easy to implement, it's not going to cost desk space like a big monitor would and opens up more gaming options. So VR is probably getting more and more attractive as an option. Especially in comparison to triples. Triples and VR are obviously harder on the PC hardware.