1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Unreal

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by el_goe, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Voodoo 2

Voodoo 2 Rookie

VRSS is supported by Robo Recall which is an unreal 4 engine game. So i think there should be hope for ACC

2. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Hardcore Simmer

From what i've heard VRSS doesn't work with deferred rendering, only with forward rendering. So same issue with MSAA ... doesn't look like ACC is gonna support it, at least not in it's current form.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  3. While trying almost every combination of console variable seems to make very little difference to the performance i get in ACC (specifically in VR), one line does produce a huge boost in frame rates.

r.forwardshading=1

I'm not at all familiar with Unreal engine, but assume this enables a forward rendering mode (of sorts) ?
    Unfortunately, it also breaks quite a lot of the lighting, and other effects, but the performance difference on my Ryzen 7 1700 / RX480 is huge.

Does this at least give some evidence to support how much improvement could be made in the future, wether in ACC or another title, if the prefered VR branch was used?

alex bonner, Cote Dazur and LeDude83 like this.
  4. Tristan Cliffe

Tristan Cliffe Simracer

Or maybe it just shows that the lighting and other effects require reasonable processing power, and by 'breaking' them you leave more overhead for the remainder?

GCCRacer likes this.
  5. Typer

Typer Simracer

Assuming that setting switches from the Deferred Renderer to the Forward Shading Renderer, Epic say:

Switching from the Deferred Renderer to the Forward Renderer may provide you with an increase in performance for your project.

The forward renderer can be faster than the deferred renderer for some content. Most of the performance improvement comes from features that can be disabled per material. By default, only the nearest reflection capture will be applied without parallax correction unless the material opts-in to High Quality Reflections, height fog is computed per-vertex, and planar reflections are only applied to materials that enable it.

Leveraging these options in Epic's new VR game, Robo Recall, the forward renderer is about 22% faster than the deferred renderer on an NVIDIA 970 GTX.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/ForwardRenderer/index.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Voodoo 2

Voodoo 2 Rookie

r.forwardshading=1

Grade ausprobiert. Performance top, leider Nachts unfahrbar ; (

7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

So the performance increase seems to be real. According to what @Typer posted, the settings default to something very low. It would be interesting to have a list of those settings and then increase them, manually until ACC gets usable, again. Seems like a good community job.

8. X_Racer01

X_Racer01 Racer

Very good
    I think we should create a new topic in the vr section for more visibility by dev kunos

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    LeDude83 and alex bonner like this.
  9. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

o_O

It would be interesting to have a list of those settings [/QUOTE]
    You will find every possible variables in the free unreal documentation,
    f. e. https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/ForwardRenderer/index.html

here:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html

or here:
    https://digilander.libero.it/ZioYuri78/

But what is it good for to have more fps at sunny daytime, but at rain or night it's undriveable in this case?

10. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

That setting is VR only or also improves fps without VR?

11. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

It's not VR only. But as said it does break things like lights, hence the performance gain.

Up to Kunos to provide a proper forward render version... but I can't imagine the performance gain will still be there once the lights are adapted. There's already relatively few shadow-casting dynamic lights with the deferred renderer, despite being faster with many dynamic lights.

12. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

Guys, that ini line doesn't change the rendering method, all it does is turns off AO, shadows and lights, which of course gives you a performance boost because well you turn them off completely.

13. houssen

houssen Racer

unreal engine is trying to solve the problems of vr de acc?

or he really doesn't care what's happening

14. Shooter80

Shooter80 Racer

@houssen to which problems do you refer?

15. houssen

houssen Racer

the msaa is not implemented
    with the valve index I cannot exceed 45 fps with acceptable vision performance

alex bonner and LeDude83 like this.
  16. Rudski

Rudski Alien

You should read the whole thread and find what the devs have said.

Here's what Ari said earlier.

Andrew_WOT and Ak1504 like this.
  17. houssen

houssen Racer

I think I'm one of the people who read almost every thread

msaa is not implemented

Real or not ?
    when acc can somehow be able to implement it the vr can work perfectly

Ale Robles likes this.
  18. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

ACC uses deferred renderer in UE4 which doesn't support MSAA, that's why it's not implemented.

19. bullet800

bullet800 Gamer

For Oculus.
    Try add this to Engine.ini :

[Oculus.Settings]
    PixelDensityMin=0.5
    PixelDensityMax=1.0
    PixelDensityAdaptive=true

I changes min to 1.5 and max to 2.0
    FPS seems to be more stable.

20. Kapucha

Kapucha Rookie

But you can add an option to specify how view frustums are applied from camera point of view and just make it happen in bigger distance from the camera especially swithing from she smallest frustum to the second one is too close to the camera/observer and if somebody is using small fov this distance should be also compensated to it. It could be also great option to disable this directional light csm at all.

It could be also good to experiment with Dynamic Shadow Distance for Movable Light in Unreal Editor.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Tr51 and Ak1504 like this.