1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Who's at Fault? - Discussing Racecraft and Incidents

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by m_box97, Jan 15, 2020.

1. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

As the devs allow us to use this space to discuss incidents please follow this simple rules to keep the discussion clean and constructive:
    - Don't use the thread to be mad at other people
    - Provide a replay from the helicam or chase cam
    - Avoid having the names of the drivers displayed in the replay or in your comment

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to another episode of "who's fault is this". I had this contact today on the CP server and I'm not sure if someone is to blame or was just an honest racing incident.

My view on the incident is that the McLaren is alongside so has the right to keep the inside, the Aston gives enough room but the McLaren overshoots slightly the braking point and goes wide. What's your opinion on this one? Did the McLaren went wide or did the Aston close the door to much? Let me know

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    ledoubiste likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Who's fault was this... Jun 11, 2019
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Default wheel settings? who's using it? Nov 15, 2014
    ACC Multiplayer Ability to "Find / See" friends / who's racing Jan 25, 2020
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Who's using G29 for this game? Oct 11, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Who's donnie..?! Jun 29, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Could anyone who's played gtr2 help me? Nov 23, 2014
    General modding discussion Career 'who's better?' Nov 3, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Server admins - who's using amazon cloud servers? Sep 10, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Tips on driving the EXOS 125 s1 (Chargingcar, anyone who's good with it ;) Jun 5, 2014
    XBox One Discussions Restore AC restore car default setup Dec 16, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Which setup does the AI use in ACC? Is it the default setup or a different one? Nov 24, 2022
    ACC User Interface Default keyboard shortcuts not working Nov 19, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Can you change default car setups using Content Manager? Nov 3, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error - so many since v1.8+ - please HELP [faulty RAM module] Sep 27, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Keep getting Fatal Error [faulty RAM] Sep 12, 2022

3. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

I would say, the McLaren has not enough overlap to claim track position and should have backed out.
    But very tough decision.

eracerhead and m_box97 like this.
  4. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

IMO the jaguar took the line I'd expect in that situation and yes the Mclaren went wider than I'd have expected. I think the Mclaren had every right to be there challenging but carried to much speed.

m_box97 likes this.
  5. XettMan

XettMan Hardcore Simmer

The Aston could have given a little more space.
    If a car is alongside me, I always try to stay as far away as possible from the other car.
    But it was a little bit optimistic from the McLaren to try an overtake in this position. I am not sure he had the claim.

6. Psit

Psit Alien

Aston is at fault :) , but this could be avoided.

#snajdan and m_box97 like this.
  7. According to @Minolin: Aston "was in front for this corner and has the right to choose any line he wants". Also the McLaren seems to be a bit too late at the brakes to stay at the left side (inside line) of the corner.

Yes of course and if the McLaren take the corner on the inside like expected the Aston would have the advantage in the next corner. But giving the McLaren a bit too much space at this point means the Aston will loose his position.

Summary: I'd blame the McLaren for overshooting the corner entry. While the Aston is turning in already the McLaren is going still straight.

m_box97 likes this.
  8. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

Identical to the first case analysed in the video below.

However, in your case, I suppose the 720s could have used a little more left track (some space still available), inclusive to try to protect a bit more from a possible contact, giving all the room possible for the Aston to make the turn.

Nonetheless, remember that it’s always much easier to make an assessment of an incident in the replay, while choosing different perspectives, play speeds and rewinding to repeat it, than at the moment, when the drivers have to judge what the other driver is doing and manoeuvre the car in a split second decision, which carries risks of either not having the precise notion of where the other car is exactly, or the manoeuvre made can be more imprecise than desired, thus having an incident which caught them by surprise.

m_box97 likes this.
  9. eracerhead

eracerhead Hardcore Simmer

If I were the McLaren, I'd have given up my claim to that corner earlier, in order to try and slingshot the Jag on the exit. He had a marginal speed advantage, although not enough to claim the corner. And the Jag would be forgiven for not seeing him there, or expecting him to be.

tjr and m_box97 like this.
  10. lordpatou

lordpatou Simracer

If this Jag didn't hide hereself in an Aston shape, maybe 720 could have avoid the crash.:p

jfb33, Dobermann92 and m_box97 like this.
  11. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

Not necessarily.
    The next turn is to the right and the one to follow is again to the right (there is a very, very slight left in between but not relevant enough).

The Aston would have the preferred line for the following right turns.
    Probably the 720S would have difficulties to create a real overtake opportunity between turn 5 (where the incident occurred) and turn 7, inclusive.

devil in me and After_Midnight like this.
  12. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

Thanks everybody for your input. With one 24" 21:9 screen I found difficult to leave just the right amount of space in this kind of situation, this time I thought I got that right and wanted a second opinion. The move from the McLaren was ok I think he just braked too late or too little.

Luis Branco and After_Midnight like this.
  13. Yes of course :) That's what I wrote:
    ...and if the McLaren take the corner on the inside like expected the Aston would have the advantage in the next corner.[/QUOTE]

But going much more at the outside of turn 6 (point of incident) makes it by far more difficult to stay fast without touch the grass and going off track.
    It's really depending to the McLaren to stay more left at the inside line instead of trying to push the Aston wide to the outside line.

That's my opinion. :)

Luis Branco and m_box97 like this.
  14. henkjansmits

henkjansmits Simracer

Don't agree there was enough overlap but you can argue that the McLaren had to stay little more to the inside. I would say incident.

m_box97 likes this.
  15. trutya

trutya Simracer

50-50 for me... Aston could have given a little bit more space but McLaren seems to understeer a bit into the Aston aswell.
    total race incident for me

m_box97 likes this.
  16. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

If the Aston gave more space then he would have had to slow a little and also he would be into the marbles. In which case there wouldn't be any point contesting the corner in the first place. He got it just about right I think. It's a small error and I'm sure not intentional but definitely the Mclarens fault. Interesting subject though almost worth it's own thread , not sure if Kunos would agree?

After_Midnight and m_box97 like this.
  17. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

Yeah I'm pretty sure that I would have lost the position if I had left more room. The next corner is too close and you need to exit wide to gain on the straight.

18. Dobermann92

Dobermann92 Racer

I think it is a clear racing incident. The McLaren was pretty much alongside of the Aston, then both of them turne into each other, the McLaren bcause of late braking and the Aston because he didn't leave enough room. If there is a door you should go for it but know when to back out or when to leave enough room to the other.

m_box97 likes this.
  19. Turk

Turk Alien

It's difficult no matter what. I'm in VR and find sometimes I'm looking at a car on my left and a car comes up on the right and I have no idea he's there. Bar using an external view it's pretty difficult to know where everyone is.

20. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

Hello:),
    so i just did that race and it was very fun and close :D until the end when I did catch this guy, I tried to overtake him a few times but he was defending and defending hard. I feel like he forced me wide a few times not leaving me space: caused that first spin, and made me lift (T1) or even break (2nd time into 2nd chicane), also he did cut this first chicane twice and just continued like it was nothingo_O

I love close and hard racing myself and I race hard too, as you can see I take every oportunity I get but I always try to keep it within the rules:),
    After our last contact that was also a bit fault on my side (tho I am not sure) he got DT probably for 4th cut warning, but that blocking and bumping he did afterwards:eek:, that was just too much and made me create this post

He also started insulting me after the race that I drive bad, and started bragging how he won fair and square with me, he was pissed after DT of course so I just didn't feel like arqueing with himo_O

I'll post here a clip and I want to hear your opinios guys;), I dont really know what to think and I dont want to judge because I was the involved in it as much as he is, so write what you think of this whole situation:D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Salvatore Amato and chksix like this.
  21. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

Please use this thread to discuss racecraft and incidents.

m_box97 and Maciej Malinowski like this.