1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

i7 6700K + 2070 Super is good for 1080p 144hz?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Gio07, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Gio07

Gio07 Racer

Hi everyone,

i want to upgrade my GPU from my little gtx 950. I was thinking about the 2070Super to get a large number of fps and take advantage of my future 144hz monitor (which I should buy along with the card).

My only question is, can my CPU handle the 2070S without being a bottleneck?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality Oculus Quest + RTX 2070 - VR unplayable Aug 24, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Any Help appreciated Reverb 2070 super May 14, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality SOLVED: Not able to get stable 45fps on oculus rift 2070s 7700k Apr 1, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Looking for Settings to HP Reverb - RTX 2070S - Ryzen 2700X Mar 7, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Change 4770k for 9700k/3700X for my 2070super? Feb 5, 2020
    Chit Chat Room RTX 2070 Super vs RX 5700 XT Jul 24, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Huge lags with RTX2070 Apr 17, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars RTX 2070 major stutter in ACC Dec 21, 2018

3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I'm afraind it can't :-(

With a good compromise of settings, this GPU should produce good FPS for a 144 Hz 1080p monitor...an AVG of 120 should be possible. But I guess the CPU will bottleneck this to something around 80 - 100 in many scenarios, regardless of GFX settings.

So you'll have to upgrade the CPU to take advantage of the 2070s. Or you make a middle step to an RTX2060S. It will be a better match for the CPU and you could still get the 144 Hz FHD monitor.

Getting high FPS in ACC is expensive, unfortunately. IMO it's better to aim for something around 100 FPS and buy a monitor for that.

Gio07 and After_Midnight like this.
  4. Ecnelis

Ecnelis Alien

Gio07 likes this.
  5. Gio07

Gio07 Racer

Of course, I don't want to go to 144fps, more than anything else I'd like to have something more than the "simple" 60fps, let's say from 90 up, better if between 100 and 120. Are you saying that 2070S is wasted anyway?
    Does the bottleneck also depend on the resolution? I mean if I would opt for a 1440p would the situation be different?

6. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

The bottleneck is a very dynamic thing, of course. If you go to 1440p, the GPU will have to work harder but not the CPU. So that will balance out your system somehow. But didn't you want high FPS? I suggest that you first set your priorities, which you actually did by saying you wanted 90+ FPS. Your CPU can get you within that range, actually. Now you need to consider the resolution and GFX level you want to have. An RTX 2060 Super will float your boat for 1440p, IMO, with decent graphics. With 1080p it will even be enough for high/ultra graphics. For 4k you should really get the 1070 Super.

Gio07 likes this.
  7. Gio07

Gio07 Racer

My goal is to play high/ultra detail ACC with 90fps. I thought that if I held on to 1080p resolution it would be easier to achieve that goal, while at higher resolution I would have to compromise on one of the two factors. But I hadn't taken into account my CPU (which I can't really upgrade at the moment) which would be a bottleneck at 1080p. So with that in mind, it wouldn't cost me anything to switch to higher resolution (maybe even with a 21:9 monitor) if this allows me to avoid bottlenecks and play high/ultra detail and high fps.
    This bottleneck talk has me a bit confused. :confused:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  8. Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader Hardcore Simmer

Lets simplify it a bit.

Lets say the maximum fps the 2070S can deliver at 1080p is 110
    And the max fps it can deliver at 1440p is 90

This game is more CPU bound than most racing games due to the AI. CPU performance therefore can draw down your max fps.

So in theory if the 2070S can deliver 110 fps, your CPU being not the fastest may bind it down to 90, or 80 even.

However if you were to run it at 1440p, being the GPU can't do more than 89-90 fps, your CPU's lack of performance won't hold it up much if at all.

Now these are made up numbers, but people treat the word bottleneck as if its going to be a disaster for your game playing. The reality is, if you are satisfied with the "90 fps" you will get out of that combo, then its fine. The game isn't going to feel different, it isn't going to stutter or be unplayable.

The only time that type of thing does happen is if the bottleneck is massive say if you were trying to play the game on an old Athlon X3, with a 2070S.

esox71 and Gio07 like this.
  9. Gio07

Gio07 Racer

Thank you! Is more clear now! :)
    My fear about the bottleneck was about the consequences it would create for the gameplay, like stutter and so on. If in reality the only disadvantage is not being able to use 100% of the power of the GPU is not so bad. At least when I can upgrade my CPU I'll have a future-proof GPU in the hands!

Rogue Leader likes this.
  10. aaaape

aaaape Racer

overclock the heck out of it till then :p I really didn't notice a difference going from a 7700k oced to 5ghz (which is barely faster than what yours do) to a 9700k@5ghz. which has 8 physical cores with my 1080ti which is also close to what you want in performance. this sim loves single core performance over cores/threads over a certain amount. your cpu should be able to OC that 6700k to 4.9 with decent cooling

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Gio07 likes this.
  11. Rogue Leader

Yes if you plan a CPU upgrade some day then its a no brainer, get the GPU. If you said thats never going to happen or it will be years before that happens, may as well downgrade a bit to like a 2060 which will deliver similar performance at 1080p with the CPU bottleneck. Just not worth the extra money.

Gio07 likes this.
  12. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

But I always found CPU bottleneck in ACC felt very unsmooth. It's why I upgraded to the i7.
    I also disagree with the single core thing - I OCed my 7600k and it didn't increase FPS, at all. ACC starts to shine with 6 physical cores, IMO.

@Gio07 you can test the FPS that your CPU can provide, already by running some tests in 720p and with minimum graphics.

13. Rogue Leader

I agree regarding the cores should have mentioned that, ACC has no problem using 6 of my 8 cores on my 3700X, others have reported that as well. Its very much not a single thread biased game.

14. aaaape

aaaape Racer

I worded it wrong or didn't elaborate enough. It does like speed but I guess what I'm trying to say is there is a point where there are too many cores. No point in getting a 10/12/16 core cpu. Like if amd. I don't think anything above a 3700x is worth it.

15. bartouze

bartouze Gamer

my i7 2600K from 8 years ago take it nicely ai 1080P but im not in 144hz on my rtx 2060 oc

16. Rogue Leader

Agree, it only uses 6 of my 8 cores on my 3700X and it doesn't max all of the cores only 2 of them. a 16 core CPU won't perform any better, but there is performance to be had over a 4 core CPU.

17. Gio07

Gio07 Racer

I tried something different. Keeping all the details to a minimum (which is what I can afford with a gtx950), and playing alone at a SPA in clear weather, I can get 60 solid fps. Now I tried to do some test races, hiding opponents from the graphics settings (maximum 3 opponents visible) so as not to affect the framerate by the low GPU power, and understand how many AI opponents can handle my I7-6700K.
    The result is that he can handle 35 opponents without problems with solid 60fps. 40 pponents is the limit for a fluid experience(with some very slight drop of some frames and some almost imperceptible micro stuttering). At 45 opponents becomes unplayable, I was able to do a few laps and even some battle, but certainly only for testing purposes, the experience can be defined as poor and practically unplayable due to the continuous stuttering at all moments of the race. At 50 opponents the situation became disastrous, it was like playing through a powerpoint slideshow, with stuttering lasting several seconds each and with a permanent warning indicating a cpu usage > 99%.
    I think 40 opponents (that only weighed on the CPU having them hidden by the graphics settings) is a good result, which is also why I'm surprised that a CPU like that is already old for some modern GPU.

At the moment I'm undecided between the two, maybe I'd be better off with the 2060Super watching my 550W PSU (EVGA Supernova 80 Gold Plus), but we'll see.

Rogue Leader likes this.