1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Dynamic Weather Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by MsportDAN, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

A couple of things that you might haven't considered.
    It's a probability, sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not... but besides that; If you set random weather and go out and start a session, you get say rain. So quit, back, start again... this does NOT randomize the weather again, you will get the same identical weather as before!
    What you have to do, is go out of the session, weather UI again, select clear, select custom (or disable/enable the random weather), out, start again. This will re-randomize the weather.

I know, it's a PITA, but that's how it works for now

Dookie, DaveS78, Tiger Feet and 4 others like this.
  2. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

Oooohhhhhh

Thanks for the reply.

Kopiller and Aristotelis like this.
  3. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

good to know.
    Thanks Aris

Aristotelis likes this.
  4. earlyapex

earlyapex Hardcore Simmer

The dry tyres are too effective in light rain now.
    I had a race at 2019 Hungary Sprint championship in the Ferrari.
    I started on purpose in 27th, track was "green" but wet looking, small puddles and it was raining lightly whole race. I selected default safe preset with dry tyres. I presume AI all selected wet setup + wet tyres as that was the games default selection for me.

So at 100% AI skill on the first lap, I went from 27th to 15th after 1st corner, overtook another two AI at the chicane sector 2. I went on to finish the race in 6th. Hmm...

I tried the same race but this time with wet setup and wet tyres and the tyres overheated badly and my pace was few seconds worse off. The ENG message said wet tyres were optimum in both race tries but to me selecting slicks in the light rain is best even if they only reach 50C you'll be fine once you have proper pressures.

The AI pit logic is terrible with the weather also, some pitted twice, once in the pit window and one outside the window. Some pitted 5 mins from the end of the race dropping out of the points from 4th. As a result of all the AI crazy pit routines, I moved up from 9th to 4th in the race I used wet setup/wet tyres in. A very different race/feeling from the wet tyres to dry tyres. Either the slicks are too good in wet or wet tyres are not good enough.

Piret2000 likes this.
  5. I disagree with you. I had a race in Misano, sunny weather and wet track.
    Me, Gold Saw and Nobel started with dry in first 3 positions, many others started with wet.
    We were completely destroyed by the guys with wet, until they destroyed their tires after the track was completely dry. So wet tires are always faster.

Gopher04 likes this.
  6. earlyapex

In my 2019 endurance race at spa, with real weather selected, I was running on slicks with light rain, the engineer came on telling me wets were now optimal so I pitted and was 4 seconds slower than with slicks. I changed back to slicks and regained my pace.
    The game said wets were optimal as soon as the track status changed to damp, yet it was faster to run with slicks in damp conditions even though there were the usual puddles at piff paff, radillion and la source rivers,etc. It didn't matter how wet the track got, the track status never went wetter than damp even though it was raining light for hours on end and slicks remained fasted tyre contradicting the ENG message.

In earlier versions of the game, it would have been definitely a wet tyre race, but now no.
    I feel the tyre updates in 1.2: - New wet tyres model: less adhession grip, slower laptimes, better control in sliding situations
    have gone too far with the wets and now have made them almost useless until you get medium rain/saturated track. It might sound right, but in game it doesn't look right.

So what happens in this situation of engineer saying to take wets, do the AI all take wets also? If they do that explains why I was 4 secs faster than the lead AI when I was on slicks, then he pitted presumably for dry tyres eventually and was 4 secs quicker again, matching me.

Wolf WolfZ likes this.
  7. earlyapex

Again at Spa 2019, once the rain had stopped, track returned to "optimal" within 5 mins even though the puddles were still there at radillion, la source etc. Surely optimal means dry track, fully rubbered in. A bit too quick for that seeing as it had rained for hours, should have been green for a while.

Wolf WolfZ likes this.
  8. The initial event conditions are always very similar: rain or drizzle. I miss a sunny morning from time to time. And sure, I randomize the initial weather every time.

9. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

What I am still concern, is transition from one weather state to another. Yesterday I was online at Barcelona driving, clear sky and all of a sudden clouds appear from no where, so it was quite a shock. They surely have to work on that part.

GRFOCO and earlyapex like this.
  10. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Yes true.
    It's good that the weather system can allow situations like we have now (quick switch between clear to rain, and viceversa) but this should be an exception, not the usual weather transition.

I also have seen only quick weather change, i've done race where for about 30mins there was clear sky, and in almost 2 or 3 mins the conditions changed dramatically into storm or black/cloudy sky.
    Always.

I've never seen the sky changing from sunny to cloudy in 20 or 30 mins, gradually.

11. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

I don't talk about quick switcing, but of a suddent appearance. From nothing to clouds just like that. Not much clouds, but sky has been all filled up with white clouds (second before ther has been a complete blue sky). I know its not a big deal, but I noticed it, thats all.
    And 2nd thing you noted it, changes are made very fast, maybe too fast, thats not so real. But I guess they want to show dinamics of the weather :)

12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

What was the time multiplier on the server? If an hour goes by every few minutes then that would explain the sudden clouds

13. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

Not sure, but 30min was sunny the same I suppose.

14. earlyapex

ENG message to tell me what tyres are optimal is wrong in version 1.2.3
    In version 1.1, you could rely on it to know when to swap tyre compound but now, no.

I did a quick race at Brands, started with medium rain on a dry track. Track status at race start was green. The game selected wet setup for me and the tyres overheated massively to 130C in 2 laps.
    I restarted the race so same setup with dry tyres instead. The ENG message came up at beginning of race, saying wets were optimal. I know they weren't from first race attempt. Pressures stayed in the slicks until 10 mins passed and track status changed to damp, then would have been the optimal tyre switch time.

It was better how it worked in 1.1 before together with the tyre behaviours and cross-over points.

15. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

whats exactly changed about 1.3 in the weather tabs seems the same to me.

- "Randomize" button is now part of the Custom weather group.

MARCOITA20 likes this.
  16. earlyapex

[1.3]
    I still feel like the slicks are too good in the wet and the wet tyres are not good enough. Even at 25% rain intensity, slicks offer more grip at 23psi than wets at 30psi.

This leads to a long period driving in rain on slicks before you reach the cross-over point to switch tyre type.

But the small changes to tyres in 1.3 have been a step in the right direction as well as a more accurate Eng message of when wet tyres are optimal (usually the lap after message is optimal) but it hasn't gone far enough yet .

17. earlyapex

I did back to back tyre type swaps in a wet race at Paul Ricard basically to see if the ENG message was right. It wasn't. I ran for 45 mins.

When lapping in light rain, the track never got wetter than "damp" even though there was standing water in the usual places and the rain never let up. I had no issue going 100% throttle through all the puddles with slicks. Message came up saying wets were optimal so I switched and ran some laps, it was a little safer but not faster. I then switched back to slicks while wets was still "optimal" and made a new personal best even though I was on the wrong tyre.

Track looks wet with puddles too even though the game says it's only damp therefore it allows the slicks to work too well. Medium rain and heavier only requires wet tyres.

18. earlyapex

I did a race that had medium rain from the beginning and the game selected wet setup with wet tyres for me. Fine, so I ran like that for 45 mins and the track status didn't get wetter than "damp". The tyres wear rate was high even though they were at 80C they should have performed fine but the rears were tail happy by now so I pitted and changed to slicks, so now I was running tyres at 40C and the car handled much better and was 1 sec faster than wet tyres in the medium rain that had been coming down for the past 45 mins.
    Only thing worse about the slicks was a little longer braking distance, approx 5m. Lateral grip was way better than wets.

19. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

will the random weather be fixed in offline. its still always wet.

20. Roy_33

Roy_33 Gamer

Did you try going into the weather setup screen before a race, if you dont do that every race you start has the same weather as the race before, it gets regenerated when you go to the weather setup screen