1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving Technique Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Karsten Beoulve, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Nebulozny

Nebulozny Racer

This whole setup debate, yes they can help you reach faster times but in the end...its all in your hands (and feet). Reminds me of old guitar player debate about gear, people buying all sorts of stuff to sound like Van Halen, setting up string heights and guitar necks, discussing his technique in micro details...but then you see him on Tv playing some crappy guitar on a KMart amplifier and still sounds amazing and is fast as ever.

I stopped chasing lap times and accepted that I simply don't have enough time on my hands to devote to proper training and building up of lap times, and probably not that super talented for this as well. I drive in the evening, after work and playing with kids, I have hour maybe to enjoy the game, and that's what I do...enjoy the racing.

I am happy in the midfield and getting lapped by the aliens all the time, but still enjoy racing in this game so much, the sounds, the feel...it's amazing. Being the "slow" traffic is also part of racing in real life, it puts up another challenge for aliens to keep their positions. I raced Bathurst last night and was having constant battle with one guy for P15...it was awesome, fair and proper racing, no crashes or getting pushed by idiots.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    NicolasRehner, M96, Whitestar and 8 others like this.
  2. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

There is arguing now you are pushing it .

3. mystek

mystek Racer

I read what did You write KodiaRok and for me Barcelona is one of the hardest (technically) track in this game (and AC1 as well), I really like this track, I played a lot on it, but I noticed is hard to drive exactly same racing line 3-4 laps in row, where on other tracks (Monza, Nurb etc) is simple for me. I'm not bad driver but I'm not good as well (1:48:600 Monza, 1:55:700 Nurb), on Barcelona I have 1:45 but usually I do 1:46:000-500 about. Anyway I think is stupid to trying do lap times like aliens do, seriously. Try to enjoy racing, not focusing (specially) on lapping. Results will come sooner than you think. And second thing - with my PBs on Multiplayer (I'm using Quick Join usually) you can be really competitive and easily can beat for 1-5 position. I'm playing this game from December 2019 or January, not sure, and I met maybe 1 or 2 really fast drivers (1:44 on Barcelona in quali, but he didnt win race I remember, and on Monza I saw guy with 1:47 or even 1:46), but quali is different than race. Driver good in qualifications often is not so fast in race and of course fighting for 1st place but not doing 2-3s advantage per lap, but for example after 20min race he is faster than you by 6-9s.

Conclusion is - play more with other players and enjoy racing :)

4. Laky Tom

Laky Tom Rookie

I've heard some "pros" say that its really beneficial to stick with 1 car, as over time you will learn how it behaves at all times and will understand changing setups better. Currently I have 168hours in ACC and I've spent a lot of it just swapping cars looking for the right one, but I find a huge amount of negatives in each one. I cannot look at any of them and say "yes, this one is good everywhere".

The issue is that due to all the random BoPs in this game I'm faster on every track with a different car . Doesn't matter if I'm good or suck at Ferrari, its still my fastest Barcelona car, while also being one of my worst Misano cars for example. Then I'm randomly over a second faster on Zolder and Zandvoort with the Jaguar, compared to other cars, but its borderline trolling to use it on most tracks.
    Is it even possible to have your best times across all tracks with 1 car? Granted you actually take the time to experiment and give all the cars a proper try.

5. Turk

Turk Alien

I think that's by design though. The organisers want it that way.

I've been pretty much sticking to the Aston Martin, I'm just comfortable with it, I'm not great at setups and don't have much time to race, so I don't want to be back into the learning phase by trying different cars every time I get a chance to race. I'm no pro though, I'm doing it for consistency benefits rather than outright pace.

6. iVG

iVG Alien

Absolutely stick with one car and setup is not done overnight. By the time you set it up for the first couple of tracks you'll know so much more. Cars aren't balanced on per track basis so it's normal to have good and bad tracks. Stick with one machine and learn to take advantage of the strengths and mitigate the weaknesses.

7. Laky Tom

Laky Tom Rookie

Tried the same for the last 2 days, only driving the Aston but I cant find many positives besides being forgiving. Its lazy on the straights, oversteers easily and 1st gear is too short.

My most driven are Ferrari and McLaren, I like the precise driving style more, but I just cant pick them on some tracks cause I'm 1-2seconds off of my pace compared to another car.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  8. Turk

Turk Alien

Yeah, I'm not saying the Aston is the best car or anything, I just liked it and kept picking it. I've been considering making a change, I did like the McLaren but I was a bit apprehensive about getting too dependant on it. As far as I know it's not an official SRO car and as such doesn't have the same restrictions, so its a sort of cheat car. Maybe that's changed, or I picked it up wrong, but that would be my next choice. I had considered switching to the BMW for no particular reason too.

But I think no matter what car you pick it's going to be weak on some tracks and good on other tracks, and the challenge is making the most of it on the tracks where it suffers. In the real series it's a bout the performance over the season, not just one race.

9. NeZzaJJ

NeZzaJJ Rookie

Lol I feel the literal opposite. I mainly drive the rarri but I feel like it’s straight line speed sucks compared to forgiving me with corner speed and balance. So I switched to the Vantage to try and practice FR with worse cornering

10. Laky Tom

Laky Tom Rookie

For sure, Ferrari and McLaren are not good straight liners either, never said they are, though I'm not sure how you're getting better balance in an Aston compared to Ferarri, those are the main positives of mid engine, even weight distribution.

From what I've seen I think AMG and Porsche are the best all-rounders (Porsche requiring more work to be put in), but since they make up 90% of all lobbies (sometimes true for Ferrari aswell) I'm kind of a hater of those 2 and refure to drive them. But the few times I did test them, I realized they are miles ahead of some of the other cars sadly as even with first timing them on some tracks I was instantly beating my personal bests or being close to it. Would definetly choose one of these but having the whole grid drive 2 manufacturers is a bit boring, guess I'm sort of a hipster in that sense.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  11. Goes To 11

Goes To 11 Gamer

I thought that I heard the AMG was hard on fuel. Is it still good for longer races requiring refueling? Any other cars close to those two?

12. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

Not sure I've even driven all the cars in the game. Maybe through the special events but I drove the Lambo in early access. Then once v1.0 hit and I started the career mode, ending up in the Porsche I've driven nothing else since really. Tested a little in the Audi (only because I drive one IRL and thought I ought to give it a shot out of brand loyalty) and decided I didn't like it. So Porsche it is :)

13. douwgZA

douwgZA Rookie

Hi all

Great thread for us trying to improve.

Quick question, what is the effect of changing the steering ratio setting in mechanical grip? Changing from 16 to 12 turns as an example. Does it mean th car turns more with less steering input?

Thanks!
    D

14. Coanda

Coanda Alien

yes

15. Rioku

Rioku Racer

My ratings:

TR 93
    SA 85
    CN 83

But my CC (car control) is 56

I know i have to slide less, but if i do i also do slower times.

I´m a bit agressive, but don´t know how to race other way.

How can i improve my CC?

16. iVG

iVG Alien

Go on options and set your rating to show only CC. It will give you corner by corner indication as to where you are going too hot. Use less steering. GT3 slicks have around 5 degrees of operating slip angle for maximum grip. There's not point in turning the wheel more during understeer.

Rioku likes this.
  17. Nebulozny

Nebulozny Racer

I had a great race last night, Aussie server, Nurburgring and funny enough I followed one guy very closely, he was faster than me...and I managed to get my lap time a second better than my usual ones. I guess that guy showed me how fast I can go in to some corners and I drove behind him like crazy "If he can go that hot in...I can do it to". I was at his bumper for the whole lap, no setup changes, just following a fast guy. Then I guess he got back in to his real pace and left me in the dust. :)

18. Laky Tom

Laky Tom Rookie

How should I brake? Ive always just slammed brake and downshifted gradually when the rmp allowed. Yesterday I read from a guy saying its best to just brake and then downshift multiple gears at once when youre close to your desired speed.

I did a bit of testing today but havent seen much difference, anyone experienced with this that can clear this out? I always thought gradual downshifting is better, lower gears have stronger engine brake, dont they?

Also what exactly is brake bias for and whats the benefit of either going low % or high %?

19. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

I don't think, engine braking has a huge impact. But I prefer gradual downshifting because it helps me finding a good rythm on the lap.

Brake balance can help you to put more braking force to the front, where the most is needed but it can result in an unstable rear under braking.

20. SimGuy_1

SimGuy_1 Alien

First mistake spotted, you only slam the brakes or throttle when you got 100% confidence that car has that grip.
    No one can guess at 100% accuracy on how much brake pressure the car will take for that all you can do it practice,remember the current capacity and experiment for slightly better results.
    Yes you have to be hard on brake but at the same time precise depending on corner type.
    Simple rule of thumb the higher speed the corner is the earlier you brake and you use brake more smoothly and opposite of this better for slower corners.
    As for downshifts i don't really think about it too much it happens automatically for me
    My tips would be ->>

•don't downshift as soon as rpm allows let the rpm fall down little bit (Also if you downshift too soon the car will lose its momentum and you don't wanna lose momentum in these cars as they are quite heavy)

•don't downshift while trail braking.

Brake Bias is quite simple

•If you decrease it(low %) the braking distance will be less meaning you can brake in shorter amount of space BUT if you reduce it too much the rear will lose grip too early even before the front tyres have run out of grip
    Simple answer would be run as low as you can handle or the car can handle.

Laky Tom likes this.