1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Weekly Hotlap Challenge 168 – Low level flying

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Totall Wrytoff, Feb 29, 2020.

1. F1415182235

F1415182235 Hardcore Simmer

It is possible! I found this out just a few hours ago.
    In the pause menu, press Y to adjust controls, then press the menu button to modify the controls. In there you'll see an option for MGU K Recovery that has no button assigned. Press the menu button to assign a button. I set mine to A by replacing it with the ABS adjuster.

2. Stan Getz

Stan Getz Simracer

Stan Getz
    3:17:651
    PS4

Oke, oke, need some more laps

Attached Files:

3. Chaos_Chris

Chaos_Chris Hardcore Simmer

Yep that is recovery, goes up in 10% increments , but not mode..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. moodyryder

moodyryder Hardcore Simmer

Ok. I'm on Ps4 but I think the console versions are made the same way. You'll have a "start" button instead of "options" and "A, B, X, and Y" instead of our "x, o, □ and ^"

365gt, Pretend racer, Neilski and 2 others like this.
  5. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Urgh, humans surely aren't meant to go this fast whilst touching the ground. Bloody things.
    Had 2 laps on meds, got to 2.59.9, then switched to softs and crashed a couple times trying to get the boost right onto the s/f straight then hit this one first clean lap on softs.
    Would benefit from correcting PSI and maybe notching down 7th gear if it can take it without hitting the limiter.

Leif
    PC

No need to change modes gents, set to low preserve and forget, boost before the start line and then don't touch it again until the big uphill section towards the end of the lap, you should have enough left to give it a nice squirt on the way up, should gain you about 3s up the hill there so more beneficial than any other part of the track.

upload_2020-3-6_21-48-20.png

6. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Hmm, do you really mean 3s? Thats sounds like a LOT :)
    If you use it on the hill I guess you have nothing left for the final section, but maybe it's still worth it?

7. F1415182235

@Chaos_Chris
    My mistake. I meant MGU Delivery.
    [​IMG]
    I swapped the Engine Brake with the Delivery.

8. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Well that was compared to previous lap on meds but yeah the delta just went from about level to nearly 3s ahead boosting up that hill.
    The default gear ratios seem to be optimised for boosting so its really flat with no kers on that section. Thus probably can mitigate some of that with better gearing.

9. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Kk, ta. I just did some experiments and I was gaining huge amounts by boosting (a second or so) on the hilly section but then losing more or less the same amounts on the final section - not yet really sure which is ultimately quicker :D

10. @LeiF , Cracking lap time, considering car type, track and flappy paddles!
    But, if left on Low Preserve, with no button pushing, (for me) the energy allowance empties as you go up the hill and is all done before you get to the flat left turn. Are you getting all the way round on Low Preserve?
    If so, I'm jealous!:)

LeiF, 365gt and Pretend racer like this.
  11. Pretend racer

Pretend racer Hardcore Simmer

pretend racer
    pc
    [​IMG]

After trying quite a few different combos for the mgu, I think Leif has it right. I set my PB using Low Preserve and pushing the button up the hill. All the other modes just seem to make you faster somewhere else on the track, just not faster overall.

Totall Wrytoff, Neilski, LeiF and 2 others like this.
  12. LeiF

LeiF Alien

No tbf it did run out whilst going up the hill but I think I was already at over 200mph when it ran out. I just don’t see how using it anywhere else can be more beneficial, because gravity!

Totall Wrytoff, 365gt and Neilski like this.
  13. moodyryder

moodyryder Hardcore Simmer

Improvement
    moodyryder
    Ps4

20200307_101719.jpg

Low preserve doesn't work for me. Power has all gone before the big hill. I must be doing it wrong somewhere, maybe too much wing and drag.

I think I've optimised my lap using the strategy I favour. Tried several times and hitting 58.4 consistently but never really going any quicker.

There's obviously more time there but I don't think I'll find it. I could try different boost strategies but can't really be arsed to start again.

Anyways, to get within a second of PR on a three minute lap is a special result for me.

14. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Welllll, my tentative theory (unproven, and barely tested!) is that you're only getting partial benefit from the energy on the hill because there isn't a very long run before you're back on the brakes. Also, deploying energy at high speed is sort-of a waste because most of it's eaten up by drag with only a small speed/time benefit. However, using it when the car is going very slowly is a different matter entirely.
    Unless I'm mistaken (in which case stop reading now! :D), this car is a bit of an oddball, with the ICE powering the rears only and the electric motors powering the fronts only. If both power units powered the same wheels (either 2 or 4 of them) then using the boost at very low speed would also be pointless because the available torque would overwhelm the available grip. However in this beast, the available front longitudinal grip is entirely wasted whenever you're accelerating with only the ICE so pulling out of the hairpins is massively quicker if you have a little boost left over, because you're using the grip from all four wheels and almost none of the energy is wasted on drag because you're hardly moving :)

This hand-wavy explanation is partly based on actual physics but is also something I've simply had to concoct to help myself understand how the final slow section was SO godawful for me when I had no boost left. I was thinking "but the car can't use all the power at low speed anyway so wth!?" until I remembered to check the transmission configuration.
    I *think* it more or less makes sense but buyer beware :p ;)

My suggestion would be to try leaving some boost until the hairpins and see what happens to the delta. When I have run out of charge by the time I arrive to the first hairpin, my delta for the remainder of the circuit (relative to a lap where it ran out at/after the second hairpin) is usually over a second to the bad. Right now my money is on the ultimate best lap being a stupidly easy "low preserve" all the way around. If there was just a tiny bit more energy to spare, then manually deploying it somewhere would no doubt help a lot. As it stands though, it sounds like many people are struggling to not run out before the hairpins anyway...

Totall Wrytoff, 365gt and LeiF like this.
  15. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Sounds reasonable! I might do a lap without boosting at some point to test, but have some painting to do so maybe not!

Totall Wrytoff and 365gt like this.
  16. Neilski

Neilski Alien

You're too damn quick so yeah best to focus on painting :p :D

Totall Wrytoff, 365gt and LeiF like this.
  17. F1415182235

I ran a 56.9 but I didn't save it cause I didn't think it was fast enough :(
    Now I'm stuck in the 57s
    [​IMG]

18. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Improvement
    Neilski
    PC
    Well, I'm pretty happy with the time but still not really much wiser about the best deployment strategy!
    Yesterday I managed a 55.5 using my "recommended" strategy of low-preserve and not touching the button at all once the lap had started; this was with a few tweaks to my previous setup based on @DriverModFTW's advice (I lowered front ARB and rear wing, and probably ended up with slightly higher front spoiler too, so I could get the front end to stick where needed, and the rear is just a little loose in a few places but I was too scared to reduce rear wing further or increase the rear ARB). I also found another couple of places where I had been lifting more than necessary (e.g. at all :D).
    I then had some doubts about my own advice (e.g. why not try to arrive at the final section with even MORE charge left over?). So... today, for the hell of it, I decided to have a go at changing modes during the lap.
    This quickly became a case of just leaving it in "Charging" the whole way around with only manual deployment. It was distracting me so much that I was losing 2 - 4 seconds at first, but I finally got used to it and found a few places that seem to help the most for using the energy (see below).
    After a few more tries, I finally managed to beat my low-preserve time with this lap. Relative to that lap, I was giving away about 4 tenths on S1, but S2 and S3 were both 6 or 7 tenths quicker, which I think has a lot to do with the slower corners.

I deployed the energy as follows, if I remember correctly (ref map from OP): as much as poss onto the start line, starting the lap at about 326 kph; decent squirt out of 2, big squirt out of 5, and the same at 7, medium squirt out of 10, a couple of (ill-advised) short squirts on the way down the hill, then a major squirt out of 17 going uphill; finished up with a shortish squirt out of each hairpin and then used the last out of 23 heading for the line. (I'm not set up to create a video (last time I tried Fraps it was a pain in the rear) but the replay is saved in case anyone wants to have a go ;))

I'm now even more confident that a certain individual could get into the 40s! :p

upload_2020-3-8_13-58-8.png

19. 365gt

365gt Hardcore Simmer

I'm pretty happy too:p:p:D.Good grief man that's a stonker of a lap,well done.Thanks for the details.I might be able to have a quick session later so I will take note.Good grief man,oh have I already said that,good grief,I know,enough of my stupidity but seriously,good grief man:D:D:confused:;):):(:mad::confused::cool::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O.Not sure about the rolled eyes thing though,looks a bit suspect:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Totall Wrytoff and Neilski like this.
  20. DriverModFTW

DriverModFTW Hardcore Simmer

I'm golfing and likely wont have time for another go so congrats @Neilski ..I did hit a mid 55 but did not post it due to my ethics of wall contact within that lap. I've also taken notice people use mechanical damage whilst competing so I'm now going to implement the same parameters (even though I dont post a lap I make contact on anyway).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    365gt, Totall Wrytoff and Neilski like this.