1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

ACC Crossplay?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Lars Schneider, Mar 30, 2020.

1. It is just snobbery, nothing more. The worst racing I've seen has been on iRacing in rookies and D class. iRacing's subscription model basically segregates rich from poor so you are guaranteed to race against wealthy people. I remember the standard of racing on Forza 3 on the xbox 360 with most people using controllers to be much better than any experience I've had at iRacing. To me that is evidence that being rich doesn't mean you are competent and have your temper under control. Having a PC with a good wheel setup is more about money than passion to me.

Same with track days I think. I ride a 2003 bike that is worth less than the front forks of most newer bikes out on track. But I read any book I can get my hands on about riding, suspension setup, tyre technology etc. I go to the track with a plan for each session to continuously improve. I clean the pistons on my brake calipers after every day on track, change my own tyres by hand and proper stay on top of all the manual maintenance jobs. I may not have money to throw at the hobby but I am passionate about it. Maybe more so than someone on a brand new bike who skips the first few sessions while getting over a hangover from the night before.

2. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

I disagree. I can't think of any racing sim that's available on both console and PC where the PC version isn't considered to be the better of the two. Also, I think anyone who's truly passionate about racing has (or at least wants) a decent wheel. Plus, a PC gives you more add-on and configuration options. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with racing on a console, just that PC racing is not more about money than passion.

marph likes this.
  3. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

lol, why do you think it's called 'Rookie' class? There's a lot of people who are completely new to (sim)racing.
    And you don't have to be rich to play iRacing, it doesn't segregate rich from poor. You don't have to buy all content at once, a lot of people (me included) just buy a bit of content every once in a while. Yes, it's more expensive overall, but you certainly don't have to be rich to play it... atleast, I'm not rich.

And I disagree with what you say about PC gaming is more about money than passion. Go on YouTube and search for AC PS4 gameplay, or pcars2 ps4 gameplay, most videos posted are people playing with exterior camera lmao and the few that don't seem to be using a wheel...
    It seems like they're just playing another arcade game like Forza. I don't call that passion.

Winston and chksix like this.
  4. sirgaric

sirgaric Hardcore Simmer

I think crossplay will be technically not possible guys, you really should forget about it.

5. David_ACM

David_ACM Rookie

villeneuve seemed to do just fine with a gamepad @2:23:55

kuccu and Vision_Slayer_525 like this.
  6. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

In my opinion based on my observations . Generally, note I said generally (as in not all) console owners are casual gamer's. They like driving games that flatter them and like to be given rewards for achieving goals.Content wise more is always better even if it's questionable quality. Also i''m not sure they are as technically minded as PC owners either, the age demographic would be interesting too as I suspect it's younger.
    Whilst I'm sure there are fast controller drivers out there I see many who can't even drive in a straight line let alone do anything else.
    I'm glad ACC is coming (or going in my case) to the console both for console owners and Kunos. To me they are different audiences and I really don't want to have to race with them. The SA system is not up to things as is.It is not snobbery,I for one can't afford console games or to maintain a PC and replace a console every few years.
    Just watch console F1 game videos to see what to expect.

XettMan and Fredix_27 like this.
  7. Fredix_27

Fredix_27 Rookie

The only crossplay solution would be to let people race each other from Playstation to Xbox. Otherwise it would lead to a mess. Because a vast majority of drivers on console won't see ACC as a sim and without a proper setup, they'll think ACC is a not good as Gran Turismo for example. Of course some drivers on a controller can match a guy with a wheel but it's about the feasibility to do it. It's about the experience ACC offer with a proper setup. And at least 80% of console players only plays with a controller so ..

8. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

I want crossplay because I (PC owner) want to race against my friend (PlayStation owner).
    Why is this a problem for so many guys here?
    Maybe make a filter option so that everybody can choose if he wants to race cross plattform or not. There is also rating system and closed league racing already.
    Problem solved...

kuccu and Vision_Slayer_525 like this.
  9. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

What an ignorant comment.

kuccu likes this.
  10. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Ignorant? Explain.

11. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

This and that quite a lot of people appear to agree is quite telling but not at all surprising. Throwaway comment with no reasoning for the contempt for console and gamepad players. That's how simracing has tended to be for years. I've seen plenty of worse comments over the years though...

I'll be fair and say that yes, there is a discussion to be had about the skill level or driving standards of players that may have less experience with sim racing than the average PC player - but that's what the rating system and matchmaking is supposed to sort out, which obviously is a big point of contention regardless of peripherals or platform. It makes next to zero difference to you if someone uses a a different, or cheaper peripheral, a smaller screen, no VR, or mouse steering because they're disabled - so long they're clean, respectful and fast enough to race on a competitive server. If the rating system and qualifying limits don't work that out then it would be an issue regardless of crossplay and peripherals. I know of no evidence that suggests that console players would negatively impact this system. And if you don't race on competitive servers then I have to ask what you're complaining about, the standards aren't exactly high on PC public servers in the first place. So really, the kind of controller used is irrelevant.

Console racing games - especially AC and soon ACC - of course support wheels as well, and a good portion of the (much larger) player base does, otherwise wheels wouldn't be offered for that market. And in order to be able to enjoy this type of sim gamepad players need to be able to drive too, you know. These players drive with the exact same physics as you do on PC, there is no reason to insinuate that they are unable to drive as well and clean as PC sim racers. Once again, the kind of controller used is irrelevant.

Gamepad controllers, mouse and keyboard steering are all supported on PC as is. There are plenty of people that appear to be able to go fast with these controls, with (like on console) the biggest drawback not being an insufficient ability to control the car and race properly but that being as consistent as a wheel users over longer periods of time is far harder due to ergonomics. Once again, there is no evidence that supporting any other peripherals than wheels and pedals negatively impacts players with full sim rigs, especially on competitive servers. And again, the kind of controller used is irrelevant.

Ultimately crossplay absolutely would benefit PC sim racers, in terms of player counts and long term health of the sim, whether you like it from a driving standards perspective or not. Simracers should not complain about player counts on the one hand and then turn around and complain about crossplay on the other.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  12. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

When I played pcars1 and pcars2, gamepad players were kind of infamous. You could clearly see they were using a gamepad by the way their car was moving, and it would often not be pleasant to drive with them. Not even because they couldn't control their car properly, but they would also crash into you for fun. There was even a fast guy there who topped a lot of the leaderboards but could barely finish a race.
    The safety rating in ACC is too easy to gain. Even now there's people posting video evidence showing people crashing into them for revenge or whatever reason in CP races. So I doubt the rating system will be proficient enough.

And gamepad users don't seem to be running on the same physics as wheel users. They got some kind of stability control or whatever which lets them throw their cars into corners like you would never be able to do with a wheel. Why do you think they got the weight penalty?

Yeah, I don't think too positively about console/gamepad players. Not so much because of who they are as a person, but overall their mindset is not the same as PC players. More that of arcade games instead of that of sim games. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather share the track with more like-minded people.

I'm not complaining about playercount. I'd rather have less players but good drivers as opposed to more players and worse drivers. Quality over quantity.
    Also, not saying ALL gamepad users suck, I know there's good drivers out there. Just saying the majority of console players with a gamepad probably aren't.

XettMan likes this.
  13. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

But certainly not in AC and ACC on PC from all I know, which is what we're talking about after all. All assists can be disabled. It's simply about getting acclimatised with the controls and sim (which is less intuitive and takes longer than with a wheel and pedals, for sure) and experience racing against others (which takes time just like in real life, regardless of peripheral).

Either way, I'm simply not a fan denouncing certain groups of sim racers, especially in throw-away comments, when sim racing is this niche already - even if it takes a bit for people to gain experience and "get good", it can be done. Have server settings for wheel-only competitive servers for all I care. And continue to improve the rating system and matchmaking. That way you can have your 'less players but good drivers' part of the playerbase to race against. But simracing as a whole benefits from more players that can compete in the same races.

Mickipepsi likes this.
  14. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Yes, I'm talking about ACC gamepad users.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great thing they release ACC on consoles and I hope it will bring in a lot of money so they can keep on working on the sim and maybe roll out more DLC in a later point in time. Just hope those users can enjoy the game playing against other people on console.

But there's not really a discussing to be had, Aris already said there won't be crossplay :)

15. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Too bad the devs share this mindset.

16. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

It's not so much that they share my mindset, reason had more to do with physics and consoles would never be able to run 100 car grids.

17. They would do it if they could, but a Playstation can't have a grid of +100 cars, even some PCs can't

18. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

That's true. But as mentioned neither can every PC that meets the minimum requirements for ACC. I don't have bottom-barrel hardware either (just older) and I suppose mine would struggle. I haven't tested it yet.

But not all servers on PC have 100-car grids, and I don't think it'd be hard to restrict crossplay to servers up to a maximum player count. Also, there's potential for future XboX Series X and PS5 releases, which do have more capable hardware.

R-V0L likes this.
  19. The majority of console players that get this are likely to have a wheel. The bigger the user base the better surely

20. Mickipepsi

Mickipepsi Rookie

I suppose, as someone said earlier, that servers could be set up with an option, that limits the amount of players on the server and allowing for console users to join.