1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Apex Cones and breaking cones

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Digitalcat, Apr 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digitalcat

Digitalcat Rookie

As someone new to sim racing I wish to learn as much as possible, like racing lines and such other things, but personally I always found the actual racing line assist in games to be too distracting, focusing on rather what's in front of you, such as the line instead of looking further away into the distance for markers or reference points as well as the drivers in front which I rather want to do, which I think for beginners such as me, breaking cones and apex cones allow you to learn, instead of following a line and learning nothing.

Now is my question if this will ever be implemented or the possibility for it? I loved this feature in GTSport and allowed me to be more aware of stuff around me, and I'm sorta missing it while learning new stuff in ACC, I think ACC could benefit a lot more of this than a racing line assist, which personally I think would only teach bad habits.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Suggestions Apex Cones in Practice Mode May 25, 2017
    Online Leagues / Championships room Radical SR3 league- ApexOnlineRacing Jan 5, 2022
    ACC Gameplay AI braking on apex when level is below 100 Mar 2, 2021
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Hori apex wheel steering sensitivity issue Feb 13, 2021
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Hori apex wheel steering sensitivity issue Feb 13, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Apex Online Racing League (AOR) Feb 7, 2021
    Online Leagues / Championships room AC is back in ApexOnlineRacing: new league Dec 14, 2020
    PlayStation 4 Discussions "Look to apex" camera movement - how to disable it on PS4 version? May 9, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Look to apex Mar 10, 2020
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Apex Online Racing - Simracing Community - 8 Hours of Cheshire - 08.05.2021 Dec 29, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Apex Online Racing - Circuit Paul Ricard 500km - 25th January 2020 Dec 22, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Apex Online Racing ACC League - Season 2 Oct 8, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Glance -left -right or look to Apex in Cockpit View? (0.7x) Apr 9, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room RSS Formula V10 league - ApexOnlineRacing.com Jan 23, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Look to Apex Nov 18, 2018

3. [ATF]Shanti

[ATF]Shanti Simracer

Yes, those GT Sport Cones are easy to spot, but you don't need them!
    Every track has plenty of markers who help you to find your brake points
    I recommend to take a look at youtube
    "Aris.Drives" channel ()
    and also the drivers 61 Channel ()
    A lot of helpful hints and advices
    Have fun, welcome to ACC! :)

Epistolarius, After_Midnight and Turk like this.
  4. Digitalcat

Digitalcat Rookie

Thanks! :D

I know there are markers in the track themselves already, and for tracks such as Monza I already know they out of my heart, it's more for tracks that I have never played such as Silverstone where I could really benefit of those cones as they would be in positions close where actual markers would be, thus teaching you the general area where to look and to search for, which a racing line just wouldn't do. Hence why I thought it would be a cool feature to include so people could learn as they play at a faster rate, instead of having to search up outside material. Keeps the player more involved within the game!

5. [ATF]Shanti

[ATF]Shanti Simracer

Game? o_O
    Sim! :D

Fredix_27 likes this.
  6. Turk

Turk Alien

It's a good idea to have more than one preference point, if it's just a cone or board at the side of the road that could disappear during a race (they must be getting stolen by the locals or something) and leave you guessing again. A default brake position may not be suitable either, it may be fine at first but if you find you can brake later, it may end up behind you.

There are guides on how to break down a track, how to judge the best line for you, which corners are most important and so on, I think I've watched a few of those driver 61 videos and they're good. There is a system and if you know the system you wont' have to worry about being told where to brake.

After_Midnight likes this.
  7. A good starting point is pick a track that is optimum and start braking where the asfalt all of a sudden goes way darker. That's the optimal condition, but it can be used as reference.
    From there you start to learn braking distances which you will be able to "musclememorize" for later. During green or fast track conditions, it's generally just adding 10-20m at most.

I use distance boards, coloured guard rails, kerbstones...anything really.

8. They can put all types of cones and boards around the track but what good is it if your reference point (that cone or board) is not there during actual races?

The line assist should not be your point of focus... you should be looking down the track and using your peripheral vision to see braking points.
    Peripheral vision is how you will spot your braking markers later on anyway.

I do not personally use the line and instead do laps picking up the pace over time and using references from onboard videos and track guides.

9. Digitalcat

Digitalcat Rookie

Thanks for the tips, hoping I can learn from them, gonna watch those driver 61 videos and hope I learn something!

SOLID FARRELL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.