1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Just joined the direct drive wheel club

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by aotto1977, May 18, 2020.

1. aotto1977

aotto1977 Hardcore Simmer

Dear internet,
    I recently became the owner of a direct drive wheel.

Beforehand I was a happy user of a Thrustmaster TX base, but that started to show the usual TX/T300 sickness of weakening FFB, and I constantly had to recalibrate it. (Thanks to a nice user on RD I learned this is a known issue, coming from the motor's permament magnet loosening from the shaft. A motor replacement brought the base back to life, so I could sell it in it's full glory.)

I was pondering whether to buy a new TX/T300 base, upgrade to T500 or even TS-PC, or switching to Fanatec's elite base.
    Fanatec was off the table soon again, after I had to learn I'd need to invest another 200€ in a Podium Hub to escape their ecosystem and to be able to use my own custom rim.
    And then I did not really like the idea of investing money in yet another belt driven Thrustmaster wheel. That thought lacked the "upgrade" feeling.

And then I noticed there are direct drive wheels in the sub 1k€ region available. And after some investigation, I decided to pull the trigger on a Sim-Plicity SW8C+. It ticked all boxes: A proper MiGE servo, decent amount of tourque, not too heavy, and the mounting plate features the common Thrustmaster / Fanatec / Logitech patterns, so I could mount it to my Playseat Challenge.

So, two weeks ago the parcel arrived, and the same evening I found myself smiling around my head.
    I run the wheel at 80% gain ingame. The average FFB does not feel that much stronger than the TX's, but on bumps and in corners it still has capabilities, where the TX already clipped.
    The level of detail the wheel provides is overwhelming. Even though I have it mounted to my Playseat "hurr durr I'm a deck chair" Challenge, I can feel so much more details through the wheel than before. Also countersteering is so much more easy due to the low inertia.

Last night I had a 30 minute race on the Nürburgring in damp conditions, and I had some situations, where I was able to catch slides and I am pretty sure I'd binned it with my old wheel.
    The impact on my driving is not as much as that of my LC brake, but close to. The wheel brought quite a bit of confidence and precision with it.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer Endurance race: one team joined as '888' instead of their entrylist # Apr 24, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Looking for a team or league but I've not joined one before, any recommendations? Sep 6, 2020
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues raceNumber in entrylist.json won't work after rejoined server with different car/livery. Jul 20, 2019
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I CAN'T JOIN MY OWN SERVER.. (CONNECTION ISSUE ERROR AFTER 4 SECONDS I JOINED) Aug 17, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds After pressing start and joined race in 2 sec ac stopped working Sep 3, 2016
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Multiple users joined server under same GUID Apr 23, 2016
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues "only display servers you have joined recently" is not retained after restart Mar 21, 2015
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Server with dlc cars can't be joined Mar 17, 2015
    ACC Multiplayer Launching Game Directly to Multiplayer Session Dec 1, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Direct Engine Map Binding bypasses available Engine Maps. Mar 7, 2022
    ACC Physics Is this correct car behavior ? (looked like car self-changed direction)) - SOLVED Nov 25, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Game just crash directly to desktop Jun 15, 2021
    ACC Tools ACCDirectorAssistant Broadcasting client Apr 10, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Crashing on launch - black screen [Corsair K65 keyboard blocking directinput control enumeration] Mar 7, 2021
    Bug reports Nordschleife Tourist parking lot - wrong direction penalty Jan 12, 2021

3. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Welcome to the club! Mind your thumbs ;)

4. Fr0zzen

Fr0zzen Gamer

Any improvements in hot lap lap times?

5. aotto1977

Not sure tbh. I cannot compare "before" and "after" times, as I do online MP for 99% of my ACC time and do not care about lap times that much.

I would not say a DD wheel makes you faster, rather more precise and confident.

6. Turk

Turk Alien

Nioce. Do you think you'll need to replace the playseat with something more robust now?

7. aotto1977

No, not at all. I had to add some counterweights to keep the seat from tilting over when opened, but apart from that it handles the heavy motor really well. The flex is not that bad; in fact there's almost no lateral movement, just vertical. As long as you're driving with both hands on the wheel, that is no issue either, as the turning forces even out that way. However, a friend of mine likes to drive rallye cars with a h shifter, and he did not like the seat, as the wheel bounced up and down when held with one hand only.
    Also, the Challenge includes a poor man's buttshaker. Drive over kerbs and the whole thing rattles along. I love it. (Also the Caracciola-Karussell on the Nordschleife is a party in your pants. :D)
    As long as we're not moving and I get the room for a dedicated sim space, I'll happily keep the foldaway chair.

I posted some on Race Department.

8. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

From my experience, I gained about 1 second per lap across the board when I switched from my G25 to the Fanatec CSL, because I lean heavily on FFB for judging car reactions. I gained not much more time when I switched to DD, apart from what you'd expect to gain by having more experience and practicing. I think it depends much mor on the FFB range your wheel is capable of, not the strength of the effects, and even the Fanatec CSL is quite good there. I did gain a lot more fun on DD though :)

That rim is massive :eek: How much does the whole unit weigh? How does Mario Kart handle on a DD wheel? :D

Fr0zzen likes this.
  9. aotto1977

It's made from a 3DRAP kit.

I just hoisted it on a scale for you: It read 28.8 kg. :rolleyes:

Underwhelming. Those banana peels are all canned effects. :p

Gevatter likes this.