1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How to setup 21:9 display (and 32:9)

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Nahkamarakatti, Feb 16, 2020.

1. brandaopj

brandaopj Rookie

one more time thanks for your help

Tim Larsen likes this.
  2. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

In my opinion the ACC FOV is horizontal.
    I looked at the link for the calculation and it gives me, for my 34 "monitor and a distance of 70cm, 59 for hFOV and 27 for vFOV.
    With FOV at 27 in the long straight of Paul Ricard it seems to go on foot and instead you are at 270 km / h and the curves much but much more closed compared to what they can be looking at the plan of the track (I can't make a comparison with the reality because I've never been there).
    With Fov at 59 everything seems more real ... the sense of speed and the degree of the curves.

3. brandaopj

brandaopj Rookie

i am using the correct 27 fov with 34 monitor and it seem real for me.

4. ohjeah

ohjeah Hardcore Simmer

It's not an opinion thing, acc uses vertical fov and that's it. If you put the calculated horizontal value to acc menu it means you're running much higher fov than you should. Getting used to the correct fov might take some time if you've always been running much wider, that's why it might seem slow on the straights etc in the beginning.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    detoit and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  5. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

I did the Paul Ricard test just to see the difference. With FOV at 27 I refer to the sense of speed that can be had in comparison to reality and also the feeling of distance (100 meters in the game seem to be about 50 of reality). The depth is crushed while with the FOV at 59 everything seems more real ... speed and depth. Do this test too and you will see the difference but compare with the sensations that you can have in reality ... go on the long straight and see how the road runs on your sides and then look at the signs of the distance before the curves if in your opinion they give you the real feeling of the distance between the 100 and 50 meter signs.

6. Most games (not only racing) and action cameras have very incorrect fov - wider than reality. This gives better sense of speed, but it is incorrect. For example running in first person shooter (take doom or whatever else) looks like driving with 100kph compared to ACC.
    I think that is why most people perceives ACC kind of slow when they put the correct fov.

David Bertholom and Tim Larsen like this.
  7. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

I made the comparison between ACC and my feelings in reality (speed and distance).
    I want to remember that a football field is about 100 meters long so try to see your feeling of distance (depth) when you see the distance signs before the curves by changing the FOV.
    Adjusting the FOV in ACC also changes the sense of depth, a bit like zooming in the photograph, and instead it shouldn't do it since the monitor we have in front of our eyes is as if we had a window.
    If I have a 1 meter wide window I see a tot of landscape but if I have a 2 meter wide window I will see more landscape but the depth will remain the same and I will not see more or less crushed

8. ohjeah

ohjeah Hardcore Simmer

Not sure if i understand correctly what you're saying but think you're just misunderstanding something.. In your last example if you have a meter wide monitor (=window) and a two meter wide monitor the depth of the lanscape and everything else too will be exactly the same if the fov is set up correctly for both. Assuming the distance to the monitor stays the same you just see much more with the wider one. There is no zooming or crushing.

9. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

Indeed! But if I go to the link of a few messages ago with my 34" monitor I have the vFOv at 27 and the hFOV at 59 but with FOV 27 I see everything smashed (the signs 100 and 50 seems 10 meters instead of 50) and the speed on the straight of Paul Ricard seems to go to 50 km / h instead of 200.
    With 59 it seems all more realistic (the 50 meters seem 50 meters and at 200 km / h it seems to go at 200 km / h).
    I think when you have the double adjustment (FOV and seat position) it doesn't work very well.
    If I'm not mistaken with the triple screen you can't change the FOV which remains at 54 ... right?
    If you knew how to attach photos and videos and thus make it better understand what I mean maybe it would be easier ... but just try it to see.
    I'm not so sure that ACC has vFOV for these very reasons.

10. ohjeah

ohjeah Hardcore Simmer

Ok, this example might be a bit extreme but should do the trick. 49" 32:9 monitor with viewing distance of 50 cm. Calculated vfov is about 37 degrees. Hfov a bit over 100.

First picture is with the vfov value, the second with hfov. Should be quite clear which is the one that acc uses.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

With triple screens you don't adjust the fov directly but put the measurement of your monitor sizes, angles etc and the game does the rest based on those.

11. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

in which of the two is the distance from the curve more similar to reality? Keep in mind that 100 meters are like a football field

12. ohjeah

ohjeah Hardcore Simmer

Obviously the first one is the one where everything seems correct. Judging distances just by looking at a 2d screen is of course always going to be difficult but with the right fov everything is sized and placed correctly and look natural.

Gupise likes this.
  13. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

IMG_4849.jpg

Fov 29

IMG_4850.jpg

Fov 63

IMG_4851.jpg

Fov 63 but seat position like at Fov 29....the distances of the signs seem more real with the fov at 63 instead of 29 (I always remember that 100 meters are a football field to be able to make a comparison of the perspective of 100 meters ... practically in door-to-door football)

14. Tim Larsen

Tim Larsen Racer

Seem is the operative word here.

ohjeah likes this.
  15. Slowbloke

Slowbloke Simracer

63 is waaaay off reality... sense of speed is what u see to your side not in front. U really need triples for that sensation.

If you are happier at 63 go for it..... but it is not accurate.

ohjeah likes this.
  16. brandaopj

brandaopj Rookie

just looking for the 200 marker in can see that in the correct fov it is just in front of you, and with your preferred fov it´s much distant. This makes that you´re breaking points way off real ones.

17. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html my monitor is 34" aspect ratio 21:9 and distance 65cm.
    I also wanted to insert the comparison videos but they weigh too much and the site does not allow me to upload

18. Slowbloke

Slowbloke Simracer

No worries.

Im also on a 34 inch monitor but about 75cm.. I should be 25.3 but Im working my way to it - Ive settled on 29 for now after having it at 35 for a while.... Im guessing the calculator says about 23 for you ? Seems quite the tight view doing it 100% correct.

19. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

IMG_4857.jpg

This is to default with FOV 54

IMG_4858.jpg
    IMG_4860.jpg

FOV 29 but without adjusted seat position

IMG_4859.jpg

Fov 29 but with adjusted seat position

IMG_4861.jpg
    IMG_4862.jpg

FOV 63 with adjusted seat position

As you can see if you start with the default position and set only the FOV with 29 you don't see the dashboard.
    In ACC the FOV is like the zoom in the photograph ... the more the focal length of the zoom is increased (in ACC the FOV is decreased) and the less depth of field is had and the photos become flatter decreasing the distances between two subjects at different distances while decreasing the zoom focal (in ACC increases the FOV) the photos start to have more depth and you can perceive the different distances of the two subjects.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  20. maxcoslo

maxcoslo Gamer

My opinion is that the acc fov is horizontal and not vertical. In addition to the sensations of speed and depth, try to take a track map or go to Google map and look at the track from above and then do the same track to see if the curves have the same angles. Doing tests I believe that with fov at 60 it is the most correct value.