1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Direct wheel bases - Take hands of wheel on a crash?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by brandaopj, May 21, 2020.

1. brandaopj

brandaopj Rookie

Hello,

Should we take the hands of the wheel when we see we are going to have a violent crash to prevent injuries?

Whats the recommended behavior

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Proper setup of an arbitrary direct input controller as a wheel - when? Aug 4, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals FFB for non direct drive wheel Jun 28, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals ACC FFB for non direct drive wheel Jun 28, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions the steering wheel turns all the time in the direction of the next corner.. Thrusmaster t300, PS4. Jun 24, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Just joined the direct drive wheel club May 18, 2020
    ACC Physics Wheel direction Bug May 14, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game directly leaves into Menu after using Wheel instead of Controller Jul 24, 2017
    Chit Chat Room direct drive wheel owners: where do you live? (Germany?) Jul 18, 2017
    Steering wheels discussions Fanatec's Direct Drive Wheel Coming in 2017! Feb 9, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Racing Rigs & Direct Drive Wheels – Question of Stability? Aug 5, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Status of FFB Support for Direct Drive Wheels? Jun 14, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues 1.3.3 update direct drive steering wheel oscilliation Oct 17, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Nissan gt-r front wheels break when steering wheel is turned to full lock in either direction. Oct 9, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Direct drive wheel movement in ac May 8, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Wheels going on the opposite direction mp Oct 18, 2014

3. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

I don't think you really need to in ACC, at least with a Fanatec DD....In raceroom however, beware!

4. brandaopj

brandaopj Rookie

and in Iracing I think its the best approach

5. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

Depends upon how much force you're running. I don't run mine that high, so it's not an issue for me but I know people that feel like they need 20Nm of force.

6. brandaopj

brandaopj Rookie

i am running mine ate 50% Force Feedback

7. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Now what is your wheel capable of in terms of Nm?
    If it is maxed out at 9Nm and you're playing at 50% there is no need to take hands off.
    If it is a Simucube 2 Pro with 25Nm running at 50% you maybe should consider taking your hands off, when crashing.

BoostedMedia, an Australian Youtuber and Sim-Racer had his wife practicing for a little challenge and she got her thumb broken by that wheel and it was not on high torque mode!

chksix likes this.
  8. Seelenkrank

Seelenkrank Racer

my servo can make 29Nm, dont know if the system can do it full (power).
    but got it on 100% in the driversetting und ingame 35-45% (Porsche Cup = 35%).
    and i keep the hands on the wheel because forces never get to high and if i let go the chance getting hurt is higher because of the very fast bouncing of the wheel.

9. Clivew

Clivew Rookie

In ACC, you don’t get crash forces through the steering wheel. ie, if you hit a barrier at high speed, you will not feel the force of the barrier hitting the front wheels, as you would IRL.

10. Follow whatever safety guidelines are provided with the wheel regardless of what game you play or users tell you!

AndyK70 and LATE4APEX like this.
  11. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

So just what would be the max "crash forces" you would get through a direct drive wheel ?

12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

In iRacing it’s the sudden change of wheel angle, so if you belt a wall and your wheels go instantly 90 degrees the steering wheel will also do the same. As it’s a big impact it will send max force instantly through the wheel, can certainly cause injury. iRacing transmits steering shaft torque so whatever it is on the steering shaft, that’s what you get.

I run my SC2 Ultimate at 35% for about 12NM peak force which I believe is about max you see in a GT3 car in high G Force corners, don’t ask me where I read that, only issues I’ve had is quick changes of steering direction in a crash.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  13. brandaopj

brandaopj Rookie

taken from other forum:

Personally I would suggest NOT to take your hands off the wheel UNLESS you feel that there are forces compromising your hands after the first initial hit.. i.e the wheel seems to want to keep turning. iRacing has gotten pretty good at eliminating MOST errant after crash forces.. The reason I say this is that the initial jolt is fleeting in that it happens and it is gone. BUT if you take your hands off the wheel you allow the "system" to take over and then it tried to combat itself until you hit an estop to try (unsuccessfully) to catch the out of control wheel..

I say unsuccessfully because I have seen way more bruises due to the instinct of trying to stop the spinning wheel after the wreck.

There is a small art to wrecking and that is that if heading toward the wall in a more straight fashion then turn your wheel so the tires hit perpendicular to the wall.. If you are coming in at a shallow angle than turn your wheel so the wheel hits face against the wall.. with of these will reduce the hit through the wheel upon impact.

14. While playing PC2 with my g920, the wheel was turning wildly and if your hand was inside the rim, it would definitely hurt if not break. In ACC even after upgrading to CSW V2.5 crushes did not feel that much. I thought i did not not configured it high in Fanalab. Even Fanatec recomend to remove the hand from wheel during calibrations. If the sim sends a big deal of torque during the crushes, the 20 Nm is more than enough to break longitudinal bones in to pieces. With very strong arms and hands you might (might) be able to hold on to the wheel. But if you want to take your hand off, i will strongly recommend to open up your arms a bit and remove your hands and arms 10cm or so away from the wheel. Those rectangular wheels, Formula, McLaren etc, can easily break bones if their sides accidentally hit.

Though there is a paradox here. You are buying a 20+Nm wheel base to simulate a race car as real as possible but remove hands which no good real race driver would. Along with the steep prices, this was my second justification to go with CSW instead of DD.

15. Serge M

Serge M Alien

All real world race car drivers are suppose to take their hands of the wheel before a crash (hitting a barrier/wall), it’s a standard safety thing.

16. Dewald Nel

Dewald Nel Hardcore Simmer

Well, that's just not true.

LATE4APEX, chksix and Serge M like this.
  17. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

In ACC these forces are disabled in the FFB, you only get forces that come from the contact patch with whatever is on ground.

However, due to the caster effect when the car is sliding and spinning uncontrollably or reversing, it can violently turn left and right, but this is preventable by holding onto the wheel, what is dangerous is when you let go of the wheel and let it swing wildly and want to catch it again. It is also dangerous when people crash into you post race, when you're stopped and not holding on to the wheel. Those people have a special place in afterlife. I sometimes hit the e-stop after finishing so that I can do the cooldown lap without worrying about what others might think to be funny.

In other sims where these "crash" forces are not reduced, you would wanna let go like in a real car.

JanR, Rogue Leader, AndyK70 and 5 others like this.
  18. Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader Hardcore Simmer

<--- Crashed actual race car. Removed hands from wheel. Had I held it my wrists would have been broken. This is a normal thing.