1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Who's at Fault? - Discussing Racecraft and Incidents

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by m_box97, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Oxie

Oxie Racer

Bentley had a car up its inside and was giving it space. When the inside was clear for the Bentley, it started to move there to retake the racing line.

AndyK70 likes this.
  2. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

I think the Bentley saw that the lead car would go wide for that corner and on that corner in Suzuka, you can't put the power down when you are off racing line (for me that is) or you won't make the exit, so he would have had to lift and a slow exit.
    Bentley had a 2nd bite of the cherry for the overtake and tapped the brakes to help turning in to get apex and a better exit than the lead car to complete the pass.
    Bentley didn't pay attention to the car behind as he was concentrating on the car ahead. Camera car probably closed the gap very quickly and saw the gap thinking both cars are going wide.

To me, its the Bentleys fault for not watching his radar and the camera car for not slowing when they saw the Bentley's brake lights come and and his turn-in, but overall a racing incident since we are sim racers and not real drivers
    Its always tough when you try to be opportunistic overtaking two fighting cars as they just don't notice you (less in sim racing vs real racing)
    If the camera car had slowed, the Bentley would have stayed infront or even worse, the camera car gets tagged from behind if there was a car there.

Or thats my impression of it.

LATE4APEX and TurboTomato like this.
  3. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

I don't see it being clear for the Bentley to move over into the passing cars line, if that was the case, there would not have been a collision.

Also, why would the Bentley have to "retake" the racing line, if it had not already given it up ?

4. Oxie

Oxie Racer

There's no one to the left of the Bentley at this point, so it's clear there:
    clear.png
    Because it was giving space to the other car that was on the racing line. It gave it up for that car and once that was gone, the Bentley wanted to retake it.

Vítor Sousa likes this.
  5. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

So the passing car should have stopped, to let the Bentley retake the racing line, I don't think we would call that,... RACING.

The passing car was on the racing line, the Bentley was not, when the collision was made.

As you stated, the Bentley was off the racing line entering the corner.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  6. David Danser

David Danser Racer

I gotta be honest i thought it was the 2nd corner at the Nurburgring, which is much wider with a different line..

Now that i see which corner at Suzuka it is I understand completely why the Bentley moved back to the apex. Not sure you can even take that corner 2 wide

In retrospect the other car could have anticipated this and should have backed up.

Always dangerous to get involved with 2 cars fighting.

AndyK70 likes this.
  7. TurboTomato

TurboTomato Gamer

Pretty sure it's T2 at the Nurburgring, not anything at Suzuka. I know why you're thinking Suzuka as it looks like the Spoon curve but given at the start of the clip the camera car is accelerating hard in a low gear I'm pretty sure it's exiting T1 at the Nurburgring.

David Danser likes this.
  8. David Danser

David Danser Racer

This was also my first thought, looking at it again it must be that corner.
    In that case it would have been no issue for the Bentley to take that corner wider.

All in all a racing accident

9. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Yes, it's Nurburgring.

TurboTomato and David Danser like this.
  10. Oxie

Oxie Racer

I'm sorry, what?

If they were on different lines, then how could they have collided? At the moment of collision, the Bentley was already halfway on the racing line and clearly moving toward being on it completely.

Yes. So?

Winston likes this.
  11. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

My bad on that. I did 2+2=5 again.
    Bentley fault.
    I think the camera car should have waited as that overtake didn't have a high probability to be successful due to T3 being a 'crashy' corner, esp with Bentley focused on lead car.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  12. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

You stated the Bentley wanted to "retake" the racing line, which means once again, it was obviously NOT on the racing line, but that does NOT give him the right to ignore, and run into a car ON the racing line.

They were on different lines, until the Bentley ran into the passing car, trying to do the impossible, have two cars occupy the same place at the same time.
    There is only ONE Racing Line, you know, the one everybody wants to be on, the passing car was on it, when the Bentley wanting to be on it, ran into the passing car.
    I'm half on the racing line, and now I'm going to run into you to take the other half ?

Again, the Bentley was OFF the racing line when already in the corner, it then as you stated tried to retake it, and ran into the passing car, believe it or not, two cars can be in the same place at the same time, that's what causes collisions.

And once again, are you stating that a car in this instance, on the racing line, must lift/brake, to allow a car NOT on the racing line take the racing line, to avoid a collision ?
    Because THAT is what would have to happen, to avoid the collision.

13. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

^
    Please note, nothing personal against both drivers, or any driver in this thread.

Its just easy for me to post about these incidents, as I have NEVER made a mistake racing, including chopping anybody.

TurboTomato likes this.
  14. Oxie

Oxie Racer

What I'm seeing is the passing car running into the Bentley, trying to do the impossible, have two cars occupy the same place at the same time. By the time the camera car reched the Bentley, the racing line was half-occupied and there was therefore no space for the passing car to slot into.

Pretty much, yes. Being on the racing line does not give you a licence to drive through other cars.

There was space to the left of the Bentley, both cars went for that space, Bentley reached it first, camera car tried to put itself in the same spot anyway and the inevitable happened.

AndyK70 and tjr like this.
  15. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Nope, nope, nope.

Its really quite simple, the passing car stayed in the racing line, the Bentley started moving into that line, hit the brakes mid corner, contacting the passing car.

If the Bentley had stayed on the outside, as already posted here, and completed the corner, as there was in fact enough room to do that, the collision would NOT have happened.

How can one blame the passing car, when it simply stayed in the racing line, and then was contacted by a car that moved over into the passing cars racing line, and then hit the brakes, and NOT leaving any racing room for the passing car.

You have to leave room for the car that is already into the corner, however little overlap there is, this is a common requirement for racing.

If the passing car had hit the Bentley from behind, then you might have a point, since it did NOT, you have no point.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  16. tjr

tjr Hardcore Simmer

Problem is, there was never a 'passing car' here was there? I think this racing line argument is a bit redundant. The camera car was never alongside the Bentley.
    I don't think it was ever going for an overtake.
    I see the camera car behind the Bentley. The Bentley makes an error and looses is back end causing it to turn in. The camera car does not react in time and goes into the back of him.

17. Sofa

Sofa Gamer

I think it was a racing incident, because I'm pretty sure the Bentley started sliding and the driver had no control for a couple of moments. The angle with which he came back on the racing line wasn't natural. Bad luck for the driver behind. :(

LATE4APEX likes this.
  18. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

I think the camera car is mainly at fault,
    The 2 things that spring to mind for me is

Every mistake does not automatically mean an overtaking opportunity
    and referring to the camera car, as I said above some people put their cars in dangerous places.

Snoeipaard and AndyK70 like this.
  19. moeppling

moeppling Gamer

After outpacing me initially the porsche began to loose it's tyres/pace towards the end of the race and took the following line through t10.

https://streamable.com/n3w2jy

20. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

@tjr @Winston @Sofa I didn't make a mistake loosing the rear, or slide the car. I tried to go to the inside to try and overtake the Nissan in the next turn. I said it already.

AndyK70 and Winston like this.