1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Driving Views

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Diablo_rf, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What type of camera view are you using?

1. Interior

92.5%
  2. Exterior

3.6%
  3. I use both, depending of the situation

3.9%
  1. That's to be expected isn't it. Visibility isn't great in the real cars, often apexes can be blind from the driver's point of view. Lowering the seat to a realistic height will be more realistic but because of the reduced visibility it will also make it more difficult to achieve the same pace.

Having said that, maybe when you get used to it it feels more intuitive? Like when you adjust from a high FOV to a more correct one you lose a lot of visibility. But then your brain clicks more and you can drive from feeling better. Like it just makes sense. I might give it a go because I'm often fiddling with the view feeling like somethings not quite right. It'll might give that feeling of having a lower centre of gravity and help you 'feel' what the chassis is doing better.

2. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

My approach is this:
    After every biweekly race in my league I lower the height with 0.5. This way I don't notice the change. Only 1 race away from the desired 3cm drop. :cool:

clear and blue likes this.
  3. So what's the effect on your driving? Has the slow transition helped so that you're no worse off? Or is it even an improvement?

4. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

What could be good LWW settings? Thanks

5. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Default is quite good to start with.

6. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

I drive with the camera close to the windshield, it gives a good view of the track and you? have you modified the default views?

7. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

8. I drive like you but a bit behind, so I can see the rpm and km gauges

9. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

Could someone tell me what is the 'Dashboard display in HUD' useful for?

another question: no way in Bumper view to look left/right?

Thanks

10. TurboTomato

TurboTomato Gamer

I've been changing the view I use recently, as it happens. I was using default in car one from the start (wheel and arms on). Couple of weeks ago I switched to the one that's further forward in the dash, which seemed to improve my pace as I could see apexes a bit better. I gradually tweaked it to put the eye point further back and lower and reduced the FOV. But then I realised I was ending up hitting other cars more because of the reduced peripheral vision. So I've gone back to default but tweaked it a bit to improve what I can see of the apexes. I think I'll stick with that.

11. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

one short question: who is driving using the bumper view?

12. wozza-m

wozza-m Rookie

I use bumper cam and have done since Gran Turismo 1. I have recently been using a 4K TV at a distance of just under 2m away and cockpit view just felt too distant to use. I have now bought a new monitor and placed it much closer to my wheel, so I give the cockpit view a try again. To be honest, I don't think it makes me any faster, although I could use any help I can get. ;)
    I agree about the view in rain, other than you still do not escape the lack of visibility due to spray in close racing and car control will with a correct setup will negate any of those advantages anyway. PC2 simulated rain on the bumper cam, which I wouldn't be against being added to ACC.
    One disadvantage of the bumper cam is at pitstops... you have very little to judge the positioning in the pitbox. There are many times I get pushed backwards, forwards or sideways losing time before the work on the car starts.
    All swings and roundabouts... each to their own. :)

13. Turk

Turk Alien

I drive in VR and you don't actually gain a huge amount. These cars have pretty poor visibility to begin with, rear visibility from mirrors is next to useless. Pillars in the way, feeling like a child because the seat is so low. I do get to look out the side windows from references though.

14. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

Here is the bumper view I have in AC using the Gran Turismo HUD

[​IMG]

less immersive than a cockpit view but using a single screen, even if it is a 32inch, you have to find compromise.
    At least using this view you can see clearly the apexes.

in ACC I use this view but also another one which looks like the dashcam in DirtRally 2
    [​IMG]

close to the windshield, you still have the feeling to be in the cockpit and you have a clear view of the apexes

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    dajdosta likes this.
  15. rikirk

rikirk Racer

I think any other view except cockpit view should not be allowed in MP sessions in order to level the plain field.

There are other platforms that enforce this.

We go all the way to play the simulation quest and we still leave the door open to the arcade approach due to the console market.

16. I have no problem with somebody coming out and stating a desire to see cockpit view enforced because it's the most realistic. Of course, that's true. It just seems a bit disingenuous when it's dressed up in the name of fair play or leveling the playing field, because we all know that this simply doesn't exist, and it seems to me that it's more about people imposing their view of how people should play the game.

One guy can be using pedals that cost more than another player's entire computer system and wheel/pedal setup. Is that a level playing field? Some people have triple screens and others are playing on a tiny laptop. Some other people in the race have wonderful direct drive wheels and somebody else in that same race might be using a wheel with a bungee cord in it. Some people have a lot more free time than others, and some can barely find an hour per week to squeeze in their favourite hobby. Some people have chronic pain, making a 45-minute CP race an actual misery, while others could do several in a row without a problem. These differences (and more) all exist, and it's fine. That's life after all, but they also don't help to create a level playing field.

With respect to creating a level playing field, the view somebody is using goes pretty far down the list, imo.

dajdosta, Whitestar, wad53 and 2 others like this.
  17. rikirk

rikirk Racer

I dont like to impose anything to anyone. I'm suggesting that when competing in a MP event will make sense to use the same view, which is normally considered the cockpit view and in fact there are other games that are enforcing the rule because of the logic behind: competitive advantage.

The mention made about the hardware, time allowance, physical condition of the driver are instead variables, that actually we can transfer more or less also in the real life and have little to do with the plain field of rules and regulations of a competition.
    In fact, another consideration I would like to bring on is the use of a keyboard or a console instead of the wheel/pedal set.

Again, this is not related to casual racing, but competitive sim-racing "motorsport" and, of course, it's just my point of view that happened to be shared by others as much as yours.

18. m4karov

m4karov Gamer

Yes it's just not fair that real racers with triple screens and few thousands $ rigs, loosing to some Mario Kart players with $20 gamepads who just press F1 few times on the keyboard. It's not how it works IRL. You pay more money you should win more.
    Also we should have fix FOV and POV position settings so those Mario Kart players can't set some unrealistic FOV or just move the camera close to the windscreen and drive like with bonnet cam. Real racers don't drive the GT3 car with their helmet touching the windscreen.
    But we need to leave one or two servers with free cam for that Mario Kart players who are probably around a half of ACC playerbase.

19. cockpit view for DRIVERS .... the rest for children. :)

Coanda and renato63 like this.
  20. Forcing a specific view on users seems like the textbook definition of the word.

Do we actually know why iRacing, for example, locks the car to cockpit view only? That's an honest question. It could be that it's in the interest of competitive advantage, but even stretching back before the time of online racing/competition, Kaemmer's games have stressed cockpit view. It could also be that it's because it's the most realistic view from which to drive the car. Unless the devs say why they've made those sorts of decisions, it's an assumption on our part.

Even at that, iRacing's view isn't really locked. If you so desire, and competitive advantage be damned, you can drive your GT3 car sitting right in the middle, pressed up against the windscreen.

You're absolutely correct.

OlivierMDVY likes this.