1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why is it all on the driver?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by MrBungle, Jun 17, 2020.

1. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

I really cant understand why there is so much on the driver but mainly:

• Tyre Pressure - Makes no sense, in a CP race every session is potentially different conditions so you can set up your TP in Q and get it something like decent in the short time, but then it may be 10 degrees lower for the race or even raining! why would you not implement some sort of help? Yesterday I was in a CP race and it was a damp track (Greasy Q used dry tyres) I opted for wets as conditions would likely get worse but what process i'm I to go through in my head to get the correct tyre pressure for race start? this would not be on the driver. needless to say I left it default and my tyre pressures ruined the race they were about 4 psi out. so essentially your level of realism is making the game unrealistic for the driver.
    • Fuel Calculation - Why, just why? Let the driver know how much fuel he needs to complete the race, its not fun working it out and its not realistic.
    • Tyre choice - I get a notification about the correct tyre to be on after the race starts, haha sorry that one just made me laugh, imagine Lewis on the grid lights go green! learns he is on the wrong tyre!
    I'm not bashing BTW its literally the best game I have ever played.

Just my thoughts on what would really help it feel more engaging if we had an engineer that gave us a suggested Tyre temp and fuel strats based on the conditions. It makes so much difference to the race going in confident but I find myself scratching my head just thinking how? like what the hell am i supposed to do at the start every time.

With this releasing on console it would be a tremendous help to the new players you will deservedly get.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    racerx, pigsy, Bolibompa and 20 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting Viewing wrong car following driver swap Feb 4, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Where do you find the the driver assist settings? Jan 31, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions How to show the team name in the driver list Dec 31, 2023
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Codriver Server is up again. Nov 24, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer dedicated server cant set driver info "black background" Sep 24, 2023
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Safety rating - differences between driver statistics and ingame Sep 2, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Career Mode Extra Drivers? Jul 26, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Invisible steering wheel/driver and greyed out button Jul 23, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Please insert a report function for dirty drivers Jul 18, 2023
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Limited tracktime / driver Jul 5, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions XBOX Series X - driver swaps May 24, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Nvidia driver 531.68 issues. Apr 28, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room 2.4 Enduro Club - New solo driver endurance racing community Apr 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Driver Animation Porsche 911 Gt3 2023 Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Gameplay AI skills of BWM Drivers Apr 6, 2023

3. RWa

RWa Simracer

That is the part I like most, because it might help me to gain some places in a race when other drivers made wrong fuel calculation. I cannot win in another way since I am too slow myself :) :(

Pandora and anthony galmiche like this.
  4. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Welcome to a simulation of tough decisions that have to be made in real life too.

5. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

By the driver?

OP has a good point.

Look at F1 games for example. They show you the predicted fuel to do the race and you can adjust to your liking. Heck they even show you predicted race times with different strategies.
    And here we are with different pages open on browser to calculate fuel and check other settings references that aren't explained in game

Bolibompa, Mogster, CmdrCody and 10 others like this.
  6. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

By the driver? I'm not a novice have platinum rating race in Top split servers and have around 310 hours in game and still have not got to grips with it so i am more than welcomed into it. the fact is that a driver has help before entering a race with his strategy this offers none other than a base line setup done on a specific track temp.

simulation to me would be getting as close to what a driver would experience not being left to fully set a car up for the race maybe i'm wrong and all the GT drivers out there bring their own pumps and fuel calculators to a race.

also i'm not asking to take it away from a driver that enjoys it I get that setup is very enjoyable for some people and that's how they enjoy the game but it really doesn't work in for me and is a drag and annoyance to an otherwise incredible sim.

silvanob2 and chksix like this.
  7. Poloman

Poloman Racer

Psi on condition change is impossible to get right, a fp of 5 minutes before race will be helpful and easy to implement.

Black Puddin and MrBungle like this.
  8. aotto1977

aotto1977 Hardcore Simmer

Also, in reality I'd have a race engineer you'd advice me whether to stay out or to pit for repairs after I got damage.
    I mean, it's kind of a disgrace for the game watching YouTubers like Jardier estimating their car's damage by looking at the predicted repair time on the MFD's pitstop tab, isn't it? There must be better ways.

9. azzah

azzah Simracer

Honest question: what's the point of asking for recommendations from your virtual engineer for fuel, tires and pressures if you then still want to be able to adjust them from there?

That's a slippery slope argument in my opinion. You either trust your hypothetical infallible robo-engineer or you do the stuff yourselves.
    Or do you want your RaceEngi9000(tm) to make mistakes occasionally for immersion's sake?
    Do you want your virtual Aris to suggest some conservative amount of fuel for the race, and because at some point you'll figure out there are always 8 liters left at the end you just start subtracting 7 every single time?

I'm baffled.

10. drukqs

drukqs Racer

i concede its an interesting topic but your answer might be that simply because of development priorities and limited resources rather than Kunos wants us to use our phone calculator to check fuel (that is what i did when i was doing my setups.now i have it all saved)
    There is a point where you decide what is in a software iteration and what does not go in based on several different factors.
    Even things that i agree they have done wrong: like only saying optimal tyres after race start rather than lobby, even if they agree on changing it might be a lower prio.

at the end of the day they actually have been introducing QoL lately but they are usually lower prio.

11. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

Much better than the alternative which is suck it and see, yes I'd like for the race engineer to give us values that are at least in the realms of what we need even if sometimes you are told during the race to switch to engine mode 2 as we underestimated the fuel calculation. Can't understand why anyone wants to play guess the pressures at the start of a rainy session. I mean how often do you see a car run out of fuel? Surely anyone would be happy with "you need *** much fuel for this session" I'd be more than happy if it was completely taken from our control because its simply not the drivers job to calculate how much fuel he needs, it's the teams job I am so baffled that you are baffled.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

12. Cirith Ungol

Cirith Ungol Simracer

I agree 100%.

@azzah having too much fuel is far better than not enough. The engineer could just give a number too big and you could tweak if you think you'll fuel save etc but at the end of the day, it's foolproof. I don't see the problem in tweaking the value given by the engineer, it's up to everyone, some will consume less because they coast a lot, some will be on the average, who cares it's something less to think about. At the moment I use fuel calculator included in ACC result companion (great app btw, must have for ACC) which could be implemented in the game. As said before, this is a QoL feature and not a game changing one and with the console release coming up, we shouldn't hope to see it soon.

MrBungle and f.e.negroni like this.
  13. Oxie

Oxie Racer

Not to mention that this already is in the game, just not fully. The setup screen will tell you your actual per lap fuel usage, or an estimate if you haven't set a lap. The game will also tell you your lap times. It will also tell you the race length. That's all the information you need to calculate the amount of fuel to take. But then the game wants you to do the division and multiplication yourself, instead of doing it for you.

14. Turk

Turk Alien

I suppose the advantage for the general player in that scenario is that it sort of levels the playing field a bit. No bodies on an ideal setup so everyone is at the same disadvantage. Managing less than ideal tyre pressures and temps is a thing in the real world too.

I think an AI pit crew could be the next big break through in sim software. At the moment there simply is too much technical stuff for me to manage, I feel like I'm at a big disadvantage to people who have the time and skills to make good setups for themselves. Generally I just ignore all that stuff and make do with the defaults, I do some slight adjustments and just manage it in race. For the most part I can do well but there's always that thought that it could have gone so much better. A practice session would be hugely beneficial.

tazza1986 and MrBungle like this.
  15. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

The game already tells you your fuel consumption so getting how much fuel you need it a matter of seconds, in any case if you don't want to do that job to have an accurate fuel load you can use a rule of thumb like 2xtime + 10l and you are good to go in my experience for any track/car combo. It's similar for tyres pressures, you can experiment and get a formula or use a rule of thumb. Having a race engineer that set the car up and works for anybody it's not gonna happen, people study years to do that job. You can drive in the game without touching anything but if you wanna have everything in check then learn to do it and do it. Simracing it's not and will never be real racing.

16. m_box97

m_box97 Simracer

True but it will always be like that, if it's not setups it's time they can spend practicing, learning new driving techniques ecc... It's like saying it's unfair that a professional photographer makes better photos that what I can do because he knows how to use iso, white balance, exposure and so on

17. Agreed,
    ACC does a damn fine job simulating the driving side of things... but not the team,
    or instructor, etc. (another topic)

Sure it may be fun for many to literally do everything themselves... I just do whatever is required without much thought... but like they say, "There is no I in TEAM!"

The game's chief/spotter showed up patches late to the race so I still count on the Crew Chief app.
    A team is better late than never ;)

Far as I been able to tell, Kunos has kicked back and let the Crew Chief app cover things that should be within the game for sometime.
    The game version is no where close to CC.
    We might be better off waiting for an app to cover the missing team elements than to wait for Kunos to half-a$$ cook up another missing game feature/element.

Loren Thomas likes this.
  18. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Simracer

Simracers: What do we want?? The most realistic simulator evahhh
    Kunos delivers ACC
    Also Simracers: Why do we have to calculate fuel and PSI???

HUGE SMH :rolleyes:

19. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Yeah. Calculating PSI and fuel is the real simulation. I can imagine Hamilton after getting back to the pits bring up the calculator on his phone and doing the maths while the 100 Mercedes engineers just play space invaders on their powerful workstations...

20. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Simracer

Easy!!! Hire an engineer if you can't do a simple multiplication. David Perel does, why can't you?

Freddie Seng, Pandora and Goony8 like this.
  21. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Okay dumb dumb. We can already see you shake your head a little too much

MrBungle likes this.