1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why is it all on the driver?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by MrBungle, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Turk

Turk Alien

I don't really like it. I feel like a child being forced to do my homework all over again.

Seven Smiles and surtic86 like this.
  2. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

This post is to sensible for this thread, please delete

TXC_IJOJOI and Salvatore Amato like this.
  3. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

Exactly. With the CP servers not working properly at the moment I took some time to consolidate my setups so I have dry, inter and wet for every track. Like you I only drive the one car. Simples.

Salvatore Amato likes this.
  4. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

Good video showing how much a driver is involved in setup :

5. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

...in the sixties.

6. Elrann

Elrann Simracer

Even nowadays for example - maybe it is not much known, but Hamilton spent also a lot of his time doing setup and trying to understand his car on his own, not just blindly letting engineers to do setups for him. At least what I've heard from people who worked with him and other drivers (from GT3 category) who said, that Hamilton works really hard on his setups and it is one of the things why they respect him so much.
    But overall. I think that every good racing driver do much of the setups at least from 50% on their own or on his suggestions - if driver don't understand how to setup a car or don't know how to setup car, then he is not able to drive on the limits > engineers can do some of the setups based on telemetry, but without drivers input they are not able to adjust properly anything basically (to the limits of car of course - they know some base line).

And basically that is one of the things what making good drivers great drivers - the ability to understand car and setup and then drive not on the limit of the setup, but on the limit of whole car.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  7. Felge Schneider

I think you got me wrong a bit. The video suggests, that drivers actively modify the car setup.
    It is out of the question that the setup, in F1 even the general chassis design, is highly influenced by the driver. But I think, they give the feedback based on their impressions on the track i.e. too much oversteer in T1, unstable on the brakes, understeer mid corner, such things. And the engineers interpret this feedback and try to find the right parameters to tune.
    I also think, drivers know basic setup physics, like what causes under and oversteer and such things. But you always have a tradeoff and you try not to make the one thing work and induce new problems. To find a balance and to find the right measures to make the car how the driver wants, that on the race engineer. I think, most drivers don't say stuff like "stiffen the front suspension two clicks".

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Gamer

Also in the sixties, his teammate (and much better driver)

Vision_Slayer_525 likes this.
  9. Felge Schneider

Sounds like simracing geek vs. alien :D

surtic86 and chksix like this.
  10. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Yeah. I can imagine Lewis asking for more 100NM on the front left wheel :rolleyes:

MrBungle and surtic86 like this.
  11. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Simracer

No offense but no one here is Lewis Hamilton

Elrann and Salvatore Amato like this.
  12. [ATF]Shanti

[ATF]Shanti Simracer

In terms of mimimi when my tires wear down, I am.

13. Probably my favourate comment ever

14. stephen_b

stephen_b Racer

OP, it seems you have been heard loud and clear.

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/three/news/developer-blog-1/

LeiF, WallyM, grrdabrr and 5 others like this.
  15. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

You are mocking OP, but the truth is that games like that that are easier to the new players, will take players away from real sims. Do you know what happens when there isn't enough players for all the sims in the market? Dev studios stop making money and you'll get worse or no products.

So mock all you want but in the end, making some aspects of the game easier (and we're talking simple things like having a damn fuel calculator in game) would help retaining more players in the genre long term.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  16. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Well, they do this by "cheating". They lock the core temp of the tires to ideal temp, remove tire wear and fuel usage...
    That's not a sim anymore, that's a racing game to have instant fun, nothing more..
    Imho a better approach would be, having a virtual engineer in the setup screen, making solid suggestions each one with a selectable checkmark and buttons "Apply" and "Decline All".
    An engineer is to make the car you want it to be, he should be capable of reading the data and making suggestions to improve the car but the driver has the last word if he wants it some other way.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    kamkie, LATE4APEX, MrBungle and 2 others like this.
  17. TXC_IJOJOI

TXC_IJOJOI Racer

So I've read the whole thread.

OP has a point.
    The Setup UI could most definitely be better.
    Why not give a fuel estimate? this has nothing to do with the setup at all. Pretty much everyone uses Racetime * 2 or uses a quick calc. to get an estimate. A conservative estimate (Eg 60l -> 22laps) should be in the UI!
    Why not have a short description of Engine Maps and Brake-Pads.
    Noone should have to look up these things on the forum!

BUT
    Pressures? Setup?
    That's fundamental stuff, that isn't easy to predict.
    OP has been given several suggestions on how do deal with pressures, even when conditions have changed.
    No matter how well you are prepared, if the weather changes you are done for.
    Just use the suggestions OP! Don't be agressive towards individuals trying to help you, just because you don't want to learn anything!

Yes you have to know stuff about setup, yes you need to set your pressures correctly. Yes, somtimes you get it wrong.
    But the basics are learned in 2min and applied in 20s!

18. Felge Schneider

That would require more work. My guess is, they removed the complexity, because they couldn't handle it properly. The text is "it's not bug, it's a feature" marketing-bulls***

AndyK70 likes this.
  19. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

As all drivers do, just go out in all conditions in all temperatures, guess how much pressure to take out or put in, then get said sim nerd to back up the process, my whole point is.... Do do do do do do doooooooo.... This is not realistic. Another person who wants realism at the detriment of realism.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

20. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer