1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is a formula wheel worth it

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by David Danser, Jun 14, 2020.

1. David Danser

David Danser Racer

Hi guys,

I have a CSL Elite wheel and i am looking to maybe get the formula V2 for it.
    I drive the Ferrari which has a similar shaped wheel.
    So my question is, did anyone change from a normal steering wheel to a formula shaped one and does it make a difference?

Common sense would say it is easier to steer and grip the wheel, i am curious if anyone made this switch and what their experience is with it..

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec Formula Wheel v2.5 rotary encoder not working as expected Feb 3, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions CSL Elite base Formula v2 wheel Jul 15, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals [Fixed] Fanatec Formula V2, Wheelbase V2.5 goes Crazy Jun 10, 2020
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Clubsport steering wheel formula carbon Feb 16, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Fanatec v2 base + carbon formula wheel + table clamp question Feb 13, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec wheel base v2 + clubsport formula carbon + clubsport pedals v2 Feb 8, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Which open wheeler: Lotus Exos or Formula Abarth? Feb 28, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Formula Abarth rev led on wheel not working Jan 17, 2014
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Logitech WingMan Formula Force (red wheel) FFB doesn't work! Dec 2, 2013
    3D car models Formula 2 Steering Wheel (3D Studio Max) Nov 17, 2013
    3D car models Formula Two Wheel Nov 16, 2013
    ACC User Interface Red Bull Ring - real world lap record from Formula 1 Jan 25, 2024
    Online Leagues / Championships room Looking for a Streamer for ACF1 Formula 1 Championship Oct 11, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room ACF1 - Season 2 - RSS Formula Hybrid 2022 s (ver2) Sep 16, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Formula Hybrid 2022 sim racing league starting soon! Sep 1, 2022

3. Krassmus

Krassmus Gamer

I have the csw 2.5 base with the csl p1 Alcantara rim and the McLaren gt3 rim.
    I also had the formula carbon rim for a few months before selling it again (bought used) and getting the McLaren rim.

I'll just list the pro's and con's:
    Pro's:
    - better grip since it's designed for the anatomy of hands
    - stronger, tighter ffb due to shorter leverage/ smaller wheel diameter
    - lots of buttons on the center plate accessible

Con's:
    - if you need to correct a big slide, you might not be able to since you can't grab the wheel in all positions
    - ffb might feel less solid. I like the slightly more massive feel with the round rim

About formula black/v2 vs McLaren:
    For my hands, which aren't really big but not small either, the formula rim was just too small. There was no "awesomely shaped for my hands" kind of feel. More like somehow getting the fingers into the small moulds of the rim and being stuck in position..
    The bigger problem though was that it's a lot smaller than the width of my shoulders, but the rim shifters won't allow for an angled wrist position. I had to grip it with my wrists being 90° to the face plate.

What I wanna say: I had to pull my wrist upwards constantly. Put your arms and hand flat on a table and then lift your hands 30° upwards.
    Not comfortable!

The McLaren rim is a few cm bigger, the shifters are a bit more towards the center so the angle of my arms is better and the wrists aren't stretched anymore.
    The rubber grip is the same design as the real one so very nice in your hands.

But I had to rma it already once. Shifters didn't shift anymore after 5 days. It's working well since a year now though.

David Danser likes this.
  4. Gopher04

Gopher04 Simracer

Have to agree with Krassmus the formula rims from fanatec for are to small, it's the area of the grips for me to much hand for a small area but it is personal preference, the mclaren rim overall has a better feel and natural grip, but be aware it can make noises due to it being plastic but still like the rim, personally in the end I use a ini hub with a Dimsim formula rim, alot bigger overall and much more suited for the GT3 cars.

David Danser likes this.
  5. Krassmus

Krassmus Gamer

Oh yeah about noises:
    Obviously I took out the allen key that's stored inside as that one can start to rattle.
    But also the buttons on the front will rattle... So I cut a thing layer of the packaging foam into stripes and stuffed these foam stripes into the gaps around the buttons.

Sounds like complete crap but actually it looks totally fine and no rattling since over a year. It stays in place very well, only once had to stuff some of the stripes back in when the length/width didn't really fit.
    Enough packaging foam available to get it right though, lol

6. David Danser

David Danser Racer

Extremely helpful guys, thank you very much!

Enough information to make a good descision

7. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

Agree with the above...Formula wheel is too small for GT3 cars, the McLaren is spot on...I have one and it's perfect, just a shame it feels lower quality than most of Fanatec's range. I'd happily sink some money into a podium version similar style wheel

David Danser and Krassmus like this.
  8. earlyapex

earlyapex Hardcore Simmer

I have the formula wheel and find it very comfortable and excellent as I use every button and switch on it in VR. Using it on the CSL elite.
    I changed from a round g25 wheel.

Freddie Seng and David Danser like this.
  9. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

My take: Hell yeah.

Coming from a BMW GT2 wheel to a Formula V2 wheel, I was really impressed, it changed my experience 100%. Stronger and more defined steering feel, more buttons and better view of monitor (my center monitor is right behind the wheel so the dash was hidden).

Like others have said catching slides is a little bit weird as you cant move away from 9 and 3 hand positions, but then again, the real drivers use those wheels so... Also, the damn rotary thumbs buttons are way too sensitive, I always end up moving them when having "moments". I dont find it uncomfortable and I have pretty big hands.

But the build quality is great and it fits the GT3s so immersion is better for me.

David Danser likes this.
  10. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Changed from T500RS with standard wheel to a TS-PC racer with formula rim .
    Formula rim is so much more convenient due to grippiness, button layout and pretty discernible faster reaction thanks to a smaller rim diameter.
    All in all it´s very satisfying for GT cars, but a touch comical when driving normal cars in AC .

Tl, Dr: Me likey formula rim :)

David Danser likes this.
  11. David Danser

David Danser Racer

Tnx guys, will probably buy one..
    I can always use my normal wheel for other cars, but I only do acc atm anyway.

12. Stains

Stains Simracer

13. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

Just be careful how you set up your buttons. I had a moment at the silly Zolder chicane yesterday and turned off the ignition while applying opposite lock...

You'll love the wheel anyway :)

14. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Hardcore Simmer

I have the CSL Elite and Formula V2 and have been very happy so far. I got a little agatation from the plastic mould at the top of the grip, where the alcantara meets plastic but have moved to gloves anyway now to protect the alcantara, so that is now not a problem. The thumb dials I had mapped to ECU and BB but as they can be moved quite easily under panic, i've remapped them to the up down switches on the inner wheel.

15. Atak_Kat

Atak_Kat Simracer

The formula wheels (Fanatec) are love/hate for me.
    - I simply love the many buttons it offers, I have the better shifters (DD1 PS4) and it really does make a difference that I can see the bottom of the screen (I have my monitor up quite close to the wheel so the top of a normal wheel seems to conveniently block some important stuff that is displayed at the bottom of the screen.... with a formula rim, you have clear view of the screen)
    - I hate the size. Too small. And only for this reason I have never found a comfortable solution. So I don't use it.

16. Such a pity the McLaren wheel is no longer.
    Might end up with the unihub and something like the dim sim f320h.

17. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Rookie

I like having wheels that are similar to the car I'm, driving, so for the 911 Cup and the old 911 GT3 I'm happy to use my Fanatec BMW GT2 wheel.
    I have the Formula wheel as well, but I agree that it is too small for GT3 cars. For formula cars in other sims it is perfect :)

So while I wait for Fanatec to announce a new GT3 wheel, I use my own homemade one combining the Fanatec Podium hub, paddle module and button module, a rim from 3DRap, a little Dremel work and some 3D printing :)

GT3-DIY.jpg

18. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

How well reachable are those recessed buttons ?

19. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Rookie

Very reachable, not a problem at all. In VR it is actually helpful to have them recessed, as my fingers are guided towards them by the edges of the rim.

20. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I have the CS Formula V2 (red). Not the one with the sawn off F1 grips (blue/grey). It's a really nice rim and for the money it has so many buttons, switches and toggles to cover all your needs. 65+ functions I think. The original paddles were a joke so I upgraded to the magnetic podium series which are really good as they give you 4 paddles and 2 levers and feel very high quality. There is absolutely no slop in the shift. I believe the new 2020 (orange) version has some upgraded paddles which are basically watered down podium series paddles. A good move by Fanatec. The rim does not flex at all even on high torque on the DD2. It would have been better if they removed the left hand analog stick and replaced it with another funky switch. The two rotary dials are good however I would have preferred them to feel a little more solid and rotate not a free as they do. It's a 27 cm rim which is pretty small. I use it for ACC & F1 and it's fine however your reflexes have to be on point compared to a 30/32 cm rim which I also own. Personally I think Fanetec should have made a replica of the new Porsche GT3 rim with its F1 style shape. Hopefully their next rim release will be a replacement for the old McLaren GT3 rim. If you took this F1 V2 rim and made it 30+ cm for GT racing it would be spot on..

Add: LED's are great and are programmable through fanalabs.

Atak_Kat likes this.
  21. Atak_Kat

Atak_Kat Simracer

@Coanda hit it right on. I just don't like the size. Feature wise, the Formula V2 with the upgraded paddles is a home run.

I have spent many nights falling asleep searching on Google for people that might have somehow modified a Formula V2 rim to have wider grips (not likely when you look at how it's built). Or just make some sort of shell or frame (a kit?) which you would just transfer the Formuala V2 internals/circuits into. So far, no luck, and I'm not so capable to do it myself.

I decided to go for the BME and Porsche rim instead. Which I also like (except the ketchup/mustard colours which I hate, so I put some vinyl wrap over those parts to make it more black.... sorry die-hard Porsche fans). So far it's my preference, but it's still missing some of the features the Foruma V2 has.

Formula V2 features (thumb encoders need a bit more beef though, and second funky switch instead of joystick as mentioned) + BME display + Podium Hub/paddles + ability to attach your choice of rim (formula style, GT style, etc) is what I think would be perfect for me.