1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Screen resolution impact on FPS?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by Fingers_68, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Fingers_68

Fingers_68 Gamer

Hi Folks

Old school racer (Gp Legends) new to ACC after seeing it on my sons PS4 I built a shiny new beefy PC and Fanatec gear for it. It even has fancy lights and a window to see them through!?
    After some tweaking of the hardware I am getting 150fps - 245fps (nice) in 1080p on a 42inch TV. Most things on epic and its looking very nice and running like a dream.

BUT

I am thinking about going to a 4k resolution, what impact is this going to have on FPS, I know this is going to reduce it but I dont want to fork out for a new tv to find I am having to run it at 1080p because its running under 120fps at 4k.

I am more focused on physics and response than eye candy and find this has to run at least at 120fps, but if there's not to much impact, a little eye candy is nice.

Cheers
    Steve

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Triplescreen replay resolution faulty Feb 16, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Screen resolution issue Feb 2, 2020
    ACC User Interface Choose Superwide resolution with triple screen windowed Dec 4, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds No Fullscreen Resolution 1280x720 on Samsung HD TV May 24, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Display Resolution - 1080p no fullscreen on 4k monitor May 23, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Change screen resolution while playing Feb 5, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Screen Resolution Dec 2, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Fullscreen not working in non-native resolution Nov 4, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Game refuses to start in selected resolution in full screen after 1.8 release Aug 28, 2016
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Triple Screen Resolution not restored properly May 26, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Screen size or refresh rate/resolution Sep 12, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Asetto corsa on mismatched monitors with different resolutions - triple screen gaming Mar 18, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Play game with triple mismatched screens and résolution video tuto Mar 14, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Triple screen: custom resolution not working with dlc tracks Mar 12, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Resolution screen after installing 1.1 [screen-scaling settings] Mar 12, 2015

3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Set the resolution scale to 200% in ACC to simulate 4k hardware loads..

4. It has huge impact. I went from 1920*1080 to 3840*1080 (half 4k) and without touching settings I lost a lot (30%+) fps.

Another question is would you play with other cars or single car practice/hotlapping. I guess you get such high frame rate playing single.
    Try it with 30 cars grid :)

5. Fingers_68

Fingers_68 Gamer

Thanks will give this a go.

Locally I have 30 cars on track, 20 visible, I am getting 150-200fps once the field has formed an orderly que. On my own practice its going upto 245fps. Online the FPS are increased greatly, which is interesting.
    I had a feeling it maybe a great loss in FPS, would not want to loose 30%.

6. Fingers_68

Fingers_68 Gamer

WOW this has a massive effect, half the FPS at 200%. If this is a true reflection of the FPS drop I don't think I will bother with 4K.

Setting it to 125% sees only a very small FPS decrease maybe 2 - 3% but it does smooth out those jagged edges a little.

Thanks for the tip.

7. jesker

jesker Gamer

with resolution scale at 200% you are forcing the game to render at 2x res for both H and W (1920x1080 => 3840x2160) , so it should be almost the same as running it at 2160p.
    try with full grid and even on rain condition, which can kill the framerate and should give you the worst case scenario which can help you to decide what to do.

8. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Hi @Fingers_68, I don't know what kind of TV you are running as you haven't put this in your profile yet. But more often than not your TV will be 60Hz. Even if it is advertised as a 100Hz or 200Hz one. This usually only applies to the display panel. So your PC can only supply 60fps to your TV and your TV then creates(makes up) the rest of the frames for your display panel.

So if the 4k TV you are planing on using with your setup is 60Hz as well, than having more than 60/70fps is pointless and you'll be fine with "just" 120fps ;).

Oh and also; it is not "a little eyecandy". The difference between 1080p and 4k in ACC is massive. I am never going back to 1080p, that's for sure.

Edit: As for your frame rate being higher in multiplayer mode; this is because in single player mode, the AI puts a heavy load on your CPU.

And then there is ofcourse the cable. If you're going for a real 120Hz 4k TV, make sure to get the right cable for your setup. Most HDMI 2.1 cables will do 120Hz at 1080p, but only 60Hz at 4k.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    EsxPaul and chksix like this.
  9. Fingers_68

Fingers_68 Gamer

VSync is disabled so screen refresh rate is not holding any FPS back. Why would you use VSync? It's only restricting the power of your PC.

10. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

I'm not talking about vSync. I'm saying most TVs are 60Hz and are therefore not capable of processing more than 60 of the frames your system is supplying. The frame rate you see, is the output of your system. But only 60 of them get processed by your TV every second.

chksix likes this.
  11. I think that sunny weather on track like spa with a lot of trees (and shadows) is a lot more punishing than rain.

About vsync - you would use it to avoid screen tearing. But if monitor/tv is low refresh rate (like 60hz) I would prefer tearing than the input lag introduced with the vsync.

jesker and Snoeipaard like this.
  12. Fingers_68

Fingers_68 Gamer

Ok so we're on the same track.

Fortunately I am not getting any tearing with my 9 year old 42inch Samsung led. The old girls going very canny.

So if the resolution scale is a true reflection of the performance impact on going above 1080p. I need a bigger boat.

Whilst it would be nice to run this in full visual glory, it more important for me to run its physics in full glory.

It's always been a trade off ballance, physics or candy, no matter how powerful a system one has.

Great sim, might see you guys on track some time.

13. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

I'm not sure if this calculation is correct. Is 200% twice the hight and the with, or is it 1920x1080x2? The latter will give you a much lower outcome.

The best thing would be to let someone who has a 4k setup and a simular system to @Fingers_68 one test this. I would do it, but I won't be able to for another 10 days.

Cool. Just make sure you get a real 120Hz TV, or all this talk is just rubbish.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  14. Coanda

Coanda Alien

If you don't trust RS = 200% then create a custom 4k resolution on a 1080p monitor or through nVidia DSR.. Same thing..

jesker and Snoeipaard like this.
  15. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

It is. Tested by going down to 1080p ;)

Snoeipaard likes this.
  16. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Nice, but what did you test exactly? Did you get the same frame rate at 1080p with 200% RS, as you normally get at 4k with 100% RS?

17. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Why would you not bother with 4k? You said you're at 150fps plus at 1080p right? So if the RS=200% calculation is correct, that leaves you with 75fps plus at 4k. That is still 15fps more than your current setup at 1080p, given the fact your current TV is 60Hz.

Also, if you have a single 43" display rig setup with the correct fov, you're about 70cm from your TV. That is just about the optimal viewing distance for 4k. But it makes 1080p look like ****e.

I think you're going to be blown away by how good this game is at 4k. You will never look back ;)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    jesker likes this.
  18. jesker

jesker Gamer

resolution scale multiplier affect both H and W to use the same aspect ratio but performances scaling it's not exactly the same as the 2160p resolution:
    i think this can be caused probably by rescaling/downsampling algorithm(but i'm not sure) to obtain the 1080p frame to match screen resolution, using a custom DSR nvidia cp can be a little more demanding.

150 fps at 1920x1080p probably drop to 55-65 fps at 2160p, but i can't do some test because i'm not at home now.

Snoeipaard likes this.
  19. Thomas Fun

Thomas Fun Simracer

Yes. I thought this was obvious, as this was mentioned as test in the first reply in this thread.

Snoeipaard likes this.
  20. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Good stuff. I thought as much, but you can't be clear enough in threads like these. Don't want to make a wrong assumption, which leads to the wrong conclusion ofcourse.

The conclusion here being that @Fingers_68 can switch to 4k without loosing a single frame, when compared to his current setup.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  21. Fingers_68

Fingers_68 Gamer

Hi

I think your getting a little confused with FPS and screen refresh rates. The FPS correlates to the performance of how the sim (or any game) is being run, the more FPS = the more accurate the physics. The screen refresh rate has not one jot of effect on the performance of the PC running the sim other than the screen not being able to cope and taring may occur. Unless of course if you enable Vsync in which case your just throttling your PC's power to run the sim.

ACC is very different at 70-120 fps to 120-200 fps, and in my opinion runs very poorly at 60-70 fps. Visually it is chuggy, more importantly the physics and inputs become very laggy. Personally I want the physics and inputs to be as sharp as possible for every pound I have spent on building the PC. I have tweaked and overclocked every ounce of power from my Chip, memory and GPU and spent hours of testing and tweaking ACC settings to get the best possible FPS whilst still retaining most of the eye Candy.

But each to there own, I just wanted a gauge on the FPS loss with resolution and thanks to you guys I have now got that. Like I've said, if I want a higher res it looks like I going to need a bigger boat. Now its time to focus on why I spent all this money in the first place, RACING.