1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Stefano Casillo moves on to new adventures from Kunos Simulazioni

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ecnelis, Apr 2, 2020.

1. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

Yeah, I think Kunos has the physics and sound pretty well locked down at the moment. Over time I think we'll still see some improvements in physics. Nothing is ever really "complete", but I understand what he's saying.

I do agree with him on the other aspects of sim too. The new frontier is sound which Kunos showed us with the release of ACC. Now it's all about the other components of the game and over time it will be more about content.

2. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

Watched bit of stream from today.

I wanted to ask but don't want to create twitch account.

@kunos

Is AI level randomized when we select say 90% ai strength.

Just like in real life there is no way ever driver is 90% strength considering there is gentleman drivers

Spread could be 85-100% in real life.

If there was way to have slider like +/- 10 percent on top of main ai strength say 90 %. So that would introduce variation of 85-95%.

This would lead to lot more overtaking between AI.

I really liked how good ai was at end of todays stream especially at difficult track like Zolder.

I am sure at monza with those new ai changes would lead to crazy amount of overtaking.

sissydriver likes this.
  3. yes.. there are various amounts of randomization, there's the initial level generated by the "UI" side according to the user selected level, the various AI driver's personal skills and (possibly) some random values plus there's a constant variation done by the simulation both at low frequency (10-20 laps) and high frequency (few hundred meters.. so basically corner by corner) as an attempt to create variability and unpredictability.

Of course if the faster cars cannot take advantage of these temporary differences the final result is simply to create "packets" of cars stuck behind a slightly slower one.. hopefully we can see things improving in the future.

BTW.. don't be shy, get your Twitch account and come ask these stuff live, the more I can get interesting and smart questions like these the more it's enjoyable for everybody.

4. baboon

baboon Alien

@kunos
    In your stream you mentioned something about not wanting to define specific passing zones on the tracks for the AI because it would create strict non-passing for the rest of the track. To overcome this problem could there be the exception of always trying to pass if there is a certain speed difference between cars? The zones could be also useful for a function of defending.

5. kamkie

kamkie Gamer

maybe marking no passing zones would be less problematic solution for places where AI try to pass and looses lots of time

6. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

The downside to that is you'll know where they can and can't pass and if ACC decides to allow multi-class the faster cars will pile up behind the slower cars in those corners.

Stefano basically said he needs to build some new tools to solve the problem, which means we're probably going to see a nice improvement in the AI instead of a band-aid aggression fix. Looking at what some of the other sims are doing i've seen each AI have skills such as "Aggression, Optimism, Smoothness, Relative Skill, Pit Strategy". No idea how those all get plugged into an algorithm and what the outcome is, but it seems to be working well. I'm hoping ACC might be headed the same direction.

LATE4APEX likes this.
  7. kamkie

kamkie Gamer

yes, good point
    it would need to at least mesh of probabilities to overtake, maybe something together with speed
    like, if you go "fast" don't bother in this place but if you are slower then maybe

Stefano also was thinking about considering how much below grip level car is to that calculation

8. Nev Roberts

Nev Roberts Racer

Would be nice to see the AI make a few more mistakes.

9. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Stefano when we can see again some sail development and dreaming to reproduce AC 2000 or 2007?

Is the project still wip or is it stopped for now?

10. Alive and well.
    Still some hopes for a free demo by the end of the year (but it's going to be tight tight tight).

Sailing Simulator development streams on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
    ACC AI development streams on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

11. houssen

houssen Racer

Stefano implements the dls 2.0 to the competizione
    you can sure
    of that and much more

12. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Yes, see it too late, my fault.

Happy to see all this activity, in all honesty, happy to see again sail sim over ACC's development.
    I'm very excited to see old AC's class, catamaran, and now the all new AC's class, content side this is almost enough to be complete (from a NOT sail expert pov like mine...)

Good luck for your work(s).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    stefanoCasillo likes this.
  13. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

Very enthusiastic stream yesterday, with Stefano going forward with very nice improvements of ACC AI.

Looking forward for tomorrow stream https://www.twitch.tv/kunosstefano

Congrats @kunos very nice stream and good results.;)

Edit: unfortunately I'm unable to see the streams live (working), but regarding the splitter (corner (red) and straight (green)), there are in fact several track parts that are treated as straights even if they aren't real straights (with GT3 cars, not exactly the same with the GT4, and its somehting that can cause AI issues later with the GT4 cars in some cases).

Some GT3 examples (turn number can be not exactly correct, depending of the track map used to signal turns) :

Misano turns 11 and 15 both looked as straights

Silverstone turns 2 and 3, braking only for turn 4, and also turn 17.

In Spa, Eau rouge is flat in GT3 (but not in GT4) and also Blanchimont, in fact, since turn 15 (Paul Frére) until the chicane before the ending of the lap, it can all be treated as a straight.

Zandvoort, turns 5, 6 and 7 and even turn 9 (due to the speed exit from turn 8, the distance to turn 9 and the speed that can be carried in to the corner) , can be looked as straights.

Kyalamy also have some cases, and probably other tracks too.

Overall, it depends not only of being a corner in itself but of how fast the approach to the corner is and the speed that can be carried trough the corner.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    sissydriver likes this.
  14. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

I'd hope for a system where the AI will teach itself (machine learning) how to drive fastest around any track. No need for lines or definitions then, just accurate track limits. Next step is to teach the AI how to win races. I guess the AI will optimize the track pace within a million laps :)
    If run mathematically without graphics it will do it real fast.

AndyK70 likes this.
  15. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

really interesting stream. you see when the fundamentals are done properly how some small adjustments can make a difference. this code / the ideas behind it will last long. very long. kudos to stefano.:)

aotto1977 likes this.
  16. Darmote

Darmote Gamer

I think that we are still far from that :D
    [​IMG]

17. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

MotoGP2020 tried something similar with their Neural AI. I finally bought this sim and although the AI is pretty good, I don't think it's significantly better than anything else on the market. It doesn't seem like the tech is there yet for this kind of AI.

One thing i've learned from these streams is how challenging getting this right can be. It's been interesting how small tweaks can completely ruin certain situations. Still interested to see if Stefano ends up changing these tools around and doing a rework of if small tweaks will give us good AI.

chksix, Freddie Seng and kamkie like this.
  18. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Stefano is a programmer god so I hope for big things! :D

19. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

Although i've been away for a while... this is an an absolute shock and a sad, sad day for me.

Thankyou, so so much for all you've given us and the time in your life you sacrificed for us.
    Thankyou and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  20. Serge M

Serge M Alien

you missed a bit... he is temporarily back