1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Driving Views

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Diablo_rf, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What type of camera view are you using?

1. Interior

92.5%
  2. Exterior

3.6%
  3. I use both, depending of the situation

3.9%
  1. rikirk

rikirk Racer

Let me put it in this way, so we don't get lost in the semantic of the first statement: would be great if Kunos will offer the option to force the view in the hosting server for the ones that agree with such ... point of view (see poll result).

Painkaos likes this.
  2. Teslatic

Teslatic Racer

I've done the math to figure out what my correct FOV is, and with a 34" 21:9 UltraWide that's 23" away from my nose, I land around 32 deg vertical FOV. The problem I have is that I've been using the "Dash camera" view, and this FOV doesn't seem right- almost like my nose is sitting on the top of the dash now.

If I move to regular "cockpit" view it looks more acceptable, but it seems like the FOV for the dash is already a bit lower.

Does this sound right? What should I be doing here?

3. Ryuku/

Ryuku/ Rookie

Drive with whatever camera position you enjoy the most ( i for one Can Not stand the dashcam view) The calculated FoV shouldnt have anything todo with what camera you choose... might just look strange as you say

4. Nebulozny

Nebulozny Racer

People are making too much fuss about FOV, trying to simulate what drivers really see...but this is a simulation, whatever works best for you honestly.

Obviously the helmet cam would be the closest to the real thing but then I get motion sickness of it as my chair is stationary, so it's pointless chasing degrees and angles here. And without triple monitor setup it's all up to one monitor and what feels best to you.

Sandro Vitalini and TurboTomato like this.
  5. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

According to the FOV calculator the 'right' FOV is about 30.
    So I've tried several hours to drive with this setting but it is difficult. OK you can see clearly the apex but not what is coming next because of the lack of peripheral view.
    And always because of this lack it is not very easy to anticipate the upcoming turns.

So I have to raise this value, no other choice.

What about your experience of FOV on a single monitor?

6. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

I'm using 32 degrees on a 23" monitor, and find that a good compromise.

But note, I am also using Real Head Motion.

7. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

Monitor 27", fov 50, Real Head Motion

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Simracer

I've set Dashcam to 54FOV and Cockpit cam to 36 with some LWW, both head positions exactly the same inside the car (so I see the same part of the instruments, rearview screen...)

This makes it easy to switch FOV depending on situation. Also, wider FOV saves some framerate, which works nice in rain.

9. Chieflongshin

Chieflongshin Rookie

34 inch 21:9 monitor and I’m 140cm away. Calculator suggested a fov of 14. It was like looking through a telescope, tried moving seat back but as per early posts you can’t see anything so I’ve reverted to standard. Made me feel sick too

10. Turk

Turk Alien

Your much too far away from the screen to get a useful FOV number off a calculator. I think it's only really going to work if your screen is really close, basically right behind your wheel.

11. Yeah, i read and watched alot about the FOV topic. But even with a F-GT racing seat and a 35" widescreen monitor mounted as close as possible i cant use the proper FOV for my distance, it just feels weird for me.
    I drive with the absolute worst camera there is according to the hardcore-FOV-guys: Helmet cam with movement and way too high FOV. :)

However, for me, a simulation is not only about being fast but also about the immersion. And i just prefer the immersion over the "best" FOV.
    Someone once said: "SimRacers dont need to be fast, they are supposed to have fun." (or something like this) and i completely agree.

The helmet cam with the movement just looks and feels soo good, i cant drive without it.

Painkaos likes this.
  12. Turk

Turk Alien

I was racing on a 27" before I switched to VR, I did set up the screen to a "proper" FOV and it worked for me, I had the monitor right up to the back of my wheel. The rest of the setup was terrible though, an armchair pushed up to a computer desk. It was like driving looking out a small window, I found it good for placing the car in the right place but really hard to know what's going on around me and a lot of guess work to hit apexes I couldn't see.

I think for best results with "proper" FOV you'd need a triple screen. If you can't do that just go with whatever works for you.

Or just switch to VR, no more screen related issues.

AndyK70 and Sandro Vitalini like this.
  13. Should try VR in the future, im still a bit sceptical.

14. magictap

magictap Rookie

15. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Racer

43 is the FOV value I use most if the time.
    It is a good compromise with a single screen.

16. David Danser

David Danser Racer

I use 45fov with real head motion, I have a 32 inch screen and ducktaped my monitor on top of my steering wheel to get it close enough for my fov. I have a playseat challenge

17. Turk

Turk Alien

I think a stable VR experience has only really become attainable now that the new 3000 series of cards are available. I've been driving VR since AC days but you do have to make a lot of compromises, they were worth it for me but it's very subjective. The immersion is just unmatched.

I'm going to get a 3080 and HP G2 hopefully before the end of the year and I think it's going to give me a high quality and stable VR experience in ACC. It's going to have cost me a hefty chuck of money to achieve though. From now going forward, VR in ACC is going to get better and better. Next year would be a good time to give VR another look.

kamkie, chksix and rikirk like this.
  18. PAPA JOHN 2

PAPA JOHN 2 Rookie

49 inch 32:9 Samsung somewhere 50 cm+ from my eyes. FoV is about 35 or 36. I don't run 3x screen option discussed in another thread since it steals so much FPS. My biggest problem is my CSW 2.5 being bulky and not in the correct angle. Should be fixed with my new 80/20.

My biggest tip is to move the screen as close as possible and if you have a smaller screen you can cheat the FoV somewhat.

But honestly if you are 1-2m from a small screen just forget it. You can't use correct FoV that far away.

AndyK70 and David Danser like this.
  19. David Danser

David Danser Racer

i agree, i did put my monitor as close as possible to get a 45pov.. lower than 40pov makes it really hard to see the apex and next corner.

i removed real head motion now, i am a second slower on every track with it turned on.

PAPA JOHN 2 likes this.
  20. SharpeXB

SharpeXB Gamer

I approach this game as a “simulator” and so I would only ever play from the cockpit.
    In racing I could never switch views at all without really disorienting myself. I can’t imagine anyone else could either. In replays the external views are great. If I want to see that view I’ll only use it in reaplay

Snoeipaard and LATE4APEX like this.