1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discussing Driving Views

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Diablo_rf, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What type of camera view are you using?

1. Interior

92.5%
  2. Exterior

3.6%
  3. I use both, depending of the situation

3.9%
  1. This guy is onto it. I think AC and ACC use hFOV, rather than vFOV. If you use the correct vFOV it looks weird. The perspectives are wrong and the tracks look nothing like real life. If you use the correct hFOV it snaps into focus. Corners look the same as they do in real life. Accelerating and braking forces make sense and you no longer feel like you're in a stationary car parked in front of a massive screen.

Luke and Ole Pophal like this.
  2. Gupise

Gupise Gamer

I Always used hor.fov due to this, turn are top much close and different from Real Life view.

3. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

AC and ACC both use vFOV.

If you feel like you're in a parked car in front of a massive screen, it's either because your monitor is too small, or because it's too far away to run the correct FOV (and have it look and feel right).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    PAPA JOHN 2, Mogster, Pekka and 3 others like this.
  4. Gupise

Gupise Gamer

I have a 49" g9 @ 65cm from my nose.
    Using calculated fov on iracing i have no issue and all looks Natural, i cannot Say the same thing for ACC. Undriveable for me, i'm Happy to see that i'm not the only One saying this.

5. ohjeah

ohjeah Hardcore Simmer

Then you probably have either iracing or ACC set up wrong.. Shouldn't be any difference if fov is correct in both sims. Hfov in ir, vfov in ACC.

Snoeipaard likes this.
  6. Gupise

Gupise Gamer

Man, i use calculated fov for iracing, it's not wrong, using the calculated vfov in acc the common tracks looks different in this two sim.
    As i Said before, the turns in acc looks very close and tight.

7. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Unlike ACC, iRacing uses horizontal FOV. So I'm curious what values you ended up with for both when calculating.

Mogster and ohjeah like this.
  8. People keep saying AC and ACC is vFOV but I don't know where it came from. Using vFOV has never worked for me and since AC I've used hFOV, or somewhere in between. This is not to see the whole interior as I tend to see only the top of the dash and rev lights due to my distance from the screen. It is to make the perspective of depth and distance feel right.

I sit 366cm (12') from a 305cm (10') wide 16:9 screen. Calculated vFOV is 24*, hFOV is 41*. For my screen size and distance, 24* is miles out. There is no depth to anything so it is impossible to perceive changes in speed. Yes, I can brake at my markers etc. but the lack of depth perception makes subtle changes in speed impossible to see. Letting off the brakes you feel like you're on ice or iRacing because the speed of the car doesn't match what you are seeing.

41* feels good. Trail braking in, you can feel how much speed you are continuing to scrub. Letting off the brakes you can feel the outside tyres dig in at the apex.

Having said that, I only chose 41* as it is the hFOV after realising the vFOV didn't look right. If I just adjust the view to look fairly natural I find I can also use it at 32* ok without issue. Which is actually right in the middle of both values.. The one issue I've always had with AC and ACC is getting a natural feeling view so if I could figure out what I'm missing I would be really happy.

9. ohjeah

ohjeah Hardcore Simmer

It's not about opinions. Ac and ACC use vertical fov, that's just a fact. If you want the mathematically correct view you should use that. Of course anyone can choose to use something else if that's not what they're after.

But using fov calculators and putting the horizontal fov value to AC/ACC is just useless, might as well use any random number.

PAPA JOHN 2, JanR, Mogster and 3 others like this.
  10. GONKO

GONKO Racer

Cockpit view or your not sim racing. Even in the rain when it's hard to see, cockpit view. If I want to cheat I'll play need for speed. If I want to sim race I fire up ACC and race as a real driver would race.

rikirk likes this.
  11. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

As I said before, either the screen is too small or it's too far away to run the correct FOV (and still have it look and feel right). In your case it seems to be the latter.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    PAPA JOHN 2 likes this.
  12. SlowLarry

SlowLarry Gamer

Not sure what you measured or calculated there, but that sounds just totally wrong. 366cm is 3metres66cm, or 144'. And a 10' wide screen is 25cm wide, are you saying you are using a tiny tablet as a monitor?

Edit: Now i get it. Its foot, isnt it? If you are really sitting that far away, there is just no way to set correct fov. Read what fov is trying to do. At 3m66 away, think about what it should show on the screen. Thats actually far ahead of your own car.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    PAPA JOHN 2, Snoeipaard and chksix like this.
  13. I had another play on the weekend. I measured again and found the numbers to be 25 vFOV and 43 hFOV. Having looked closely I realise that actually the perspective was bang on at vFOV. But below about 30 vFOV your mind just goes nope and things look weird. What I thought was incorrect distances was actually just my mind struggling to cope with a tiny field of view. In motion is where the difficulty is, but that's only the same as if I were to black out all but a small amount of my windscreen and try to drive.

I took some pictures to compare and from them you can see that the vFOV is definitely correct. I settled on using 30* as it is still close to the correct FOV but gives just enough view to not feel completley weird.

hFOV (43)
    [​IMG]

vFOV (25)
    [​IMG]

hFOV (43)
    [​IMG]

vFOV (25)
    [​IMG]

hFOV (43)
    [​IMG]

vFOV (25)
    [​IMG]

Compromise (30 or 32, can't remember. Ultimately settled on 30 in the end, though this could be 32)
    [​IMG]

Salvatore Amato likes this.
  14. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Minolin says it´s vFoV.

@11m50s

chksix likes this.
  15. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Awesome video :D

16. PAPA JOHN 2

PAPA JOHN 2 Rookie

The majority of you people arguing for that ACC uses hFOV are sitting too far away from the screen and your screens are way too tiny.
    If you are 3.6 meters away from the screen how are you expecting to set a realistic FoV?
    The Porsche GT3 is around 4.5 meters long...
    Just set up some extreme examples in the following link https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with running an unrealistic FoV that you like. But alot of you have no clue what you are talking about.
    If you have a 24 - 32 inch screen over 100 cm away from your wheel base. Realistic FoV will look and feel horrible.

https://twitter.com/davidperel/status/1197395611173216256

17. Gupise

Gupise Gamer

As i Said before, i have a G9 49" @65cm from my eyes and with calculated vfov it's a problem to judge turns and distance. Probably the wrong thing here Is my brain, i'm trying to reduce fov by 1* every week in order to metabolize Better the change.

18. Yeah if you look at the post with pictures above I realised I was completely wrong about ACC using hFOV. I think what I'd seen is that below about 30 degrees my mind really can't accept what its seeing is real. That's probably an effect based on not seeing enough. Looking closely at the pictures - with no motion giving that weird, distorted feeling - you can see the vFOV looks bang on, while the hFOV looks off. But 25 degrees in motion is just weird and gives the feeling your looking into a fish bowl. So I increased that to 30 degrees as a compromise. Around 30 degrees I no longer get the distorted feeling and it's not too far off the ideal 25 degrees. Really ought to just get a longer USB cable and get a bit closer to the screen really though.

What FOV are you at? Just thinking you might have a similar thing to me, where very small FOVs just don't make sense. In that case I'd edge it up until things start making sense again. For me that happened about 30 degrees. You can't see very much but what you see feels ok.

PAPA JOHN 2 likes this.
  19. Snoeipaard

Snoeipaard Racer

Hi, that's the second time you've posted this.

Last time around I said I was curious to know what values you ended up with for both iRacing and ACC.

Without these values, nobody will be able to help you get clear on what is causing your issue.

David Danser likes this.
  20. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

Since i got ACC with the Beta 1 release i drive in hood view and have the time of my life with this sim, clocked in around 360hours. I don't care one bit what anyone says about any realistic FOV, Cockpitview and whatnot. I feel most comfortable in this view and have the most fun, thats what matters :)

AndyK70 likes this.