1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Question about VR with ACC.

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by fnugen, Nov 13, 2020.

1. fnugen

fnugen Rookie

Having never used, nor owned a VR headset or complete kit, I am curious as to how it would work with ACC. I use a G920 wheel to drive, and hope that just a headset works without the things you hold in your hands. I'd love to try VR in the game, but only if the headset works along with the wheel. I do have a game on Steam that is VR, but I am not ready to jump down that rabbit hole unless it works as asked. Thanks.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer Questionable ACC Server Reliability Aug 13, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer ACC Entrylist Question Mar 3, 2021
    XBox One Discussions Xbox Pre-Order of ACC - DLC Question May 28, 2020
    ACC Physics Question about setting up dampers in ACC Apr 16, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer ACC Server Setup questions - Admin Rights, Track Rotation and eventType Mar 10, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Question absolut the Cars in ACC Jul 6, 2018
    Sounds modding Question : how to get the best possible audio samples when you can't access the car Nov 13, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Question about "Combining acceleration, braking, and steering" Mar 5, 2014
    ACC General Discussions Assetto Corsa Competizone Logo Use Question Oct 10, 2023
    Chit Chat Room 3 questions Oct 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Very Stupid question Sep 23, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen and gsync question Jun 24, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Question regarding legality of organizing paid-entry races and offering cash prizes in Assetto Corsa Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Straightforward question about server creation Apr 15, 2023
    ACC Physics Question about MoTeC channel "ROTY" Apr 7, 2023

3. yeh mate all sim racing games work with out needing the vr controller.

fnugen likes this.
  4. fnugen

fnugen Rookie

Cool. Thanks. I hadn't considered VR until the last couple days, but had no idea how a "driving" game works with it. I appreciate the reply.

5. just a word of warining ACC isnt well optimized for VR so you need a very good computer to run it well. Other games like pcar2 and iracing are alot better optimized and so dont need the best computers if you want to dip your toes in vr sim racing.

chksix likes this.
  6. Psit

Psit Alien

That's an understatement if i ever saw one :)
    Hoping Zen3 will give some good results in VR (along side a 3080 or 6800XT ...)

chksix likes this.
  7. Turk

Turk Alien

As far as you computer is concerned a VR headset is just another monitor.

VR with sim racing is definitely worth it. Huge increase in immersion.

fnugen likes this.
  8. fnugen

fnugen Rookie

My laptop isn't highest end gaming, but it does games very nicely. HP Omen laptop. 2yrs old.

i7-7700HQ @2.8
    RX580 8g
    16g ram
    DX12

9. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Yeah... No VR with this config and ACC, at least not fluid.
    ACC is very demanding in VR

fnugen likes this.
  10. fnugen

fnugen Rookie

@AndyK70 thanks. Question still about VR, having never tried it, would my system generally handle mid level graphics in VR for other games?

Assuming ACC is not getting VR optimizing as priority for now with the updates?

11. SharpeXB

SharpeXB Gamer

Wow... no it’s not.
    VR needs to run in 3D which means drawing every scene twice. Plus in needs to run at a higher frame rate than a monitor, usually 80-90fps. VR headsets typically have a higher resolution than 1080x1920 which is the typical monitor res. All things considered, Running a game in VR is roughly 3x as demanding as running it on a monitor.

12. moeppling

moeppling Gamer

none of the current gen titles. Easiest way to test it is to run a game in 4k. If you can keep the fps upwards of 60 at all times you'll be fine in VR with 40-45fps + asynchronous spacewarp.

13. Aman-Droid

Aman-Droid Rookie

14. SharpeXB

SharpeXB Gamer

This really isn’t a good test. 3D means drawing each frame twice which isn’t the same as just having more pixels. And ASW creates artifacts that many people find distracting. The best way to test VR is get a headset and make sure there’s a good return policy.

ohjeah, AndyK70 and fnugen like this.
  15. fnugen

fnugen Rookie

I downloaded a Steam VR test app and it says I could run VR, but not at the highest settings. Of course I understand this would be game dependent as well.

16. SharpeXB

SharpeXB Gamer

Yes VR is very game dependent and from what I read there’s almost no way to predict how well it will run. The best idea again I think would be to either borrow a headset and try it out or make sure you can return it.

fnugen likes this.
  17. Turk

Turk Alien

Just because a display has a higher refresh rate or higher resolution doesn't make it not a display anymore. That that logic 4K and freesync monitors aren't displays anymore. It doesn't matter how demanding it is, it's still just a monitor in a facemask.

18. Serge M

Serge M Alien

It’s technically two displays rendering almost the same thing twice so the number of draw calls for the CPU significantly increases compared to a screen.

As the two view points are offset they are two different “scenes” while with screens, no matter how many screens you are running it’s still just one scene.

19. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Correction, 4 times as demanding.

20. RDGNL

RDGNL Simracer

Not to mention headtracking also requires CPU power and since audio is depending on the direction and position of your virtual head, audio needs to be calculated too.

ACC is quite heavy on hardware, but oh so satisfying if you can run it. I typically recommend people start at the VR-EPIC preset with 300 sharpness and go from there. It’s a very good balance between performance and clarity for most systems.

21. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

I'm practically driving under water. My settings are as low as possible but still let me see the track ahead in a haze. FPS wildly fluctuating 35-90 all the time :( still refuse to go flatscreen :)