1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving Technique Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Karsten Beoulve, Nov 26, 2019.

1. RE_brotakul

RE_brotakul Gamer

Yeah, it's possible. The fact is, that the rating detail talks about both "Control" and "Overdrive" and, as with the safety rating being a function of both "Trust" and "OBWP", i guessed that the CC rating works just the same by dropping as the "Overdrive" component of the rating increases in relation to the "Control" - as in no-slip component. That way, driving "under" the tire limit should have improved the CC rating, but than again, i might have had this all wrong. No biggie really, i seem to have stabilized at 87, which seems fair and quite accurate in my case. Happy with that.

2. devil in me

devil in me Racer

Overdrive = understeer
    Control = oversteer (or maybe just control as it is)

Overdrive u turn the wheel 90º but the car only turns 60º , u pass the tyre limit over 115%

Control u turn the wheel 90º the car turns 95º u are between 85% and 115% of the tyre limit with a oversteer driving style.
    Control u turn the wheel 90º the car turns 85º u are between 85% and 115% of the tyre limit with a understeer driving style.

Makes sense?

Its the way i see it. But i dont know if is the rigth way.

3. RE_brotakul

RE_brotakul Gamer

Hmm, i thought control means no under or oversteer and overdrive is the other way around. But yeah, either one of us can be wrong.

AndyK70 likes this.
  4. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

to overdrive a car is when you exceed the limits of grip, either understeer or oversteer makes no difference.

LATE4APEX and devil in me like this.
  5. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

I would think that since the car is not going to be perfectly balanced at every corner of a track, some understeer in some corners for example, will be inevitable, and not necessarily mean the car is being "overdriven".
    Including in some cases, oversteer being an advantage exiting some corners.

My take is that we "overdrive" the car when going too deep into a corner for example, and then have to make time losing corrections, just to be able to complete the corner.

In my opinion.

AndyK70 likes this.
  6. RE_brotakul

RE_brotakul Gamer

There’s definitely some kind of threshold to it, a limit that if you cross, then the under/oversteer counts as overdrive. In the end, pushing to the limit means allowing for a limited slip (in either direction), but keeping marginal control. If you don’t start losing control, you just don’t push it hard enough.

AndyK70 and LATE4APEX like this.
  7. devil in me

devil in me Racer

8. Da Kurlzz

Da Kurlzz Rookie

Hi, So yesterday I bought ACC and I love it. I watched a few tips & tricks videos as my only other simracing experience is from AC and I realized that those games are completely different in feel and driving. I saw that it's good to stick to one car and to learn it properly and that's when I started thinking if I should buy the GT4 DLC and start with those cars as I assume they are slower and easier to master ? Or should I stick to balanced GT3 car that I saw recommended as 488, Aston and Bentley ? Also I'm not capable of doing my own setups as I watched videos that explained what every change does but I have hard time figuring up during practice what could help, should I use setups on internet or stick to the game setups ?

9. bhendrik

bhendrik Gamer

i think you turn in too late at some corners.

10. bhendrik

bhendrik Gamer

I like the Bentley, well balanced. Go for the aggresive setup, raise the rear wing by 1, do a fwe laps, see if your tire pressures are o.k (should be around 27.3-27-5), and try tu run with tc to 5 and abs to 3. The Bentley will eat curbs for breakfast, so use them

11. Loeki

Loeki Gamer

I myself have played over 400 hours now and still stick with the default aggressive setups. As long as u are not within 1 second of the fastest lap possible by aliens, tuning will not have big gains other than getting the car more stable and hence become slower overall. Try learn the quirks of the car u are choosing and drive around them. It is u that have to drive the car properly and not the car that has to follow your inputs as u see fit. Bad driving habits should not be tuned away IMO.
    What u should tune are tyre pressures (2020 season needs a little higher pressures, close to 28 PSI. 2019 u should aim for 27.5 PSI), brake ducts depending on ambient temps (for hot conditions 4 front 3 rear will suffice, in cold conditions u can go as low as 3 front 2 rear) and brake bias settings depending on fuel load (general rule is that the fronts should lock up before the rears do)
    Have fun and stay clean.

12. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Where is this Info from?

13. Loeki

Loeki Gamer

I might have switched it around with the GT4 pressures.

14. Oortael

Oortael Rookie

Hello Everyone,

this is my first post in this forum, so hopefully I got it in the right section. The holiday season gave me a few hours to practice ACC on the Nürburgring. But I can't get my driving style adopted to the BMW M6 GT3. Here is a video of me driving at the Nürburgring for a few laps against the computer on 97 strength

Maybe some of you would like to take a quick glance at it and tell me what I'm doing wrong. To know if there is potential in it to improve my driving on this car or if I should abandon it for another (or give it up completely).

Thx
    Stefan

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    LeiF likes this.
  15. LeiF

LeiF Alien

The BMW GT3 is one of my favourite cars, sadly the BoP is not very favourable at most tracks except at Monza and Laguna Seca, but if you like the car then stick to it!

Only watched a couple of laps of the vid but I would say the first thing that jumps to mind is you appear to be changing gear way too early, looks like you shift at 7000 rpm - try holding it to about 7500-7800 and see how much faster you go compared to a decent lap delta time.

Another point is your fov in the video seems really high, unless your screen is like 60”+ and pushed right up to your wheel then that is probably unrealistic, if you didn’t already consider this try calculating the correct value and running that for a few weeks. Using too high fov gives a great sense of speed and awareness in traffic but makes it very hard to position the car.

Edit (whilst I still can!): when it finishes uploading and processing here is the first 3 laps from a league race I did back in September for comparison purposes, same car and track ofc.

Also, if you can, I highly recommend ditching AI and practicing first alone on track to get the car and consistency and then against real humans to learn the racecraft. AI just doesn't prepare you very well imo, if you only prepare against AI it is not going to end well when you do end up racing humans.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    sps_for_race likes this.
  16. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Hi Stefan,

like LeiF said, calculate your correct vertical FOV / vFOV, as it looks so strange in your Video.
    Doesn´t look like you have a triple screen setup, only like an ultrawide screen, so it´s unlikely to see the left mirror completely or at all.
    You need to get adopted to it, but it really helps to judge corners, braking points, distance to opponents etc. much better.

Modern FOV Calculator (dinex86.github.io)
    Field of view calculator · andyf.me

To get to know the BMW, I recomment this Blog:
    CARS - The BMW M6 GT3 | Kunos Simulazioni - Official Forum (assettocorsa.net)

Then, there is a Nürburgring circuit walk by Aris:

And this helps as well:

BMW @ Suzuka:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    LeiF likes this.
  17. moeppling

moeppling Gamer

@Oortael there are a couple of things that can be improved, but lets stick to the obvious ones.

You're not easing off the brake enough while adding steering. Idling alot with neither decelerations nor acceleration happening. Also occasionally hugging the inner curb in low speed corners. Your downshifts are slow in some places and you're not using the excellent bmw 1st gear to get more enginebraking/rotation. Upshifts are fine, not early at all and late in some places.

Your line can be improved greatly by watching&comparing onboards. I'm pretty sure that that'll have a bigger impact then me rambling on.

18. Oortael

Oortael Rookie

Hi LeiF abd sps_for_race,

thank you for the help. I will start with the vFOV. I've used to the first link to calculate my FOV. I have a Samsung LC49HG90DMU 49" monitor in front of me on my desk. I sit 131 cm away from it as I currently don't own a rack.

With the calculator it gives me a quite wired view of 15°:

fov_131.png

20210101112222_1.jpg

Is it ok to move the seating postion to -36 as I then don't see any of the gauges, etc. otherwiese?

Kind regards
    Stefan

Hi moeppling,

thank you, I will work on my driving as well.

Thx
    Stefan

sps_for_race likes this.
  19. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Yes, it´s OK, a compromise, but way much better with this Fov.
    Look how much closer all the cars around you look now, way more realistic.

Will feel weird in the beginning, but stick with it and you will get used to it.

before:
    f1.JPG

after:
    f2.JPG

LATE4APEX and pdf3108 like this.
  20. Tobus

Tobus Racer

This is a rant and a plea for help.

I'm happy racing and consider myself a fair driver. I race mostly in Porsche and Aston Martin in both GT3 as GT4. I race AI at 93-95% and can hold my own, even win on the longer time races.
    I've also enrolled on the FD Racing Department GT3 online championship (places still available I think) after doing one of their single events at Spa and starting 19, finishing 13 on a field of 32 cars. The first race is next week at Barcelona. All good, right?

No, because I strive to be faster. And for that I use my own instincts and knowledge and watch track guide on youtube. And that annoys me tremendously! Why? Because I see someone from Unleashed drivers pull a 1.42.2 on Barcelona. I see a guy named Zermatt pull a 142.8. Both on default aggressive setups. And even a guy called WJL made a 1.41.9 on his own setup. I tried that setup: it gets me lower times than the aggressive one: 1.47.5, a whopping 5.4 seconds slower! Generally I have that with every setup, so I've already decided my problem lies with me, not with a setup, so not even going down that lane anymore, as it will spark more frustration with me than faster times.

HOW?!?!?!?! On aggressive setups with tires pressured to 27.5-28.0 at Barcelona I get at best a 1.46.0 out of either the AMR or the Porsche. I'm consistent in the low 1.47's, don't crash out, don't screech the tires too much, don't upset the car... I'm feeling litteraly on the edge of whats maximum possible, and generally feeling fast too. I can understand those movies being shot as hotlaps under perfect conditions. I can accept not beating those times and can comprehend them being faster. I just can't comprehend people online going faster (1.44 at Barcelona) and track guide guys doing times consistently 3-6 seconds lower than mine, THAT MUCH FASTER than me. I just don't get it?!

Either it's a conspiracy, a cheat, or I'm seriously not getting something?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021