1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - 2021-2022-2023-2024 Generic discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by pankykapus, Jan 1, 2021.

1. rnavasg

rnavasg Gamer

Same here, I really appreciate the advantages of UE (graphics, loading times...). If I could choose, I'd prefer investing the resources in developing new content than creating a new engine.

2. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

I´m pretty sure I also met the actual Christopher Dreyspring in a public race. Normaly I wouldn´t believe the name after how many Ayrton Senna's, etc. you meet online. But he does simracing and was quite fast on the server.

sissydriver and AndyK70 like this.
  3. Serge M

Serge M Alien

UE4 engine is fine and gives plenty of advantages. I’d love to see a newer version being used that improvements more modern features like DLSS and the like but I would imagine it’s too large an undertaking to update the engine for current ACC.

For future stuff though nothing wrong with modern UE

Echo_29 and sissydriver like this.
  4. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

Regarding racing drivers. Imagine you drive 500+ horsepower race cars for works team as a ****ing job, of course that some will just see it as a game which it ultimately is, it has nice physics but for them it’s like a gimmick not something to be excited or passionate about to an extent that we are, sure some enjoy it but it’s still ultimately a game, while for example something like iRacing provides a product that is more appealing for those kind of customers, even despite its physics, but for them it’s not about training driving a car but about training racing itself and everything that comes with it.
    About the UE4 yes it would be nice to have sth that would deliver everything we want without UE4 drawbacks but it’s another one of those utopia visions that has **** all to do with reality and with what Kunos was trying to do with this project, dunno for me discussing about game engine is completely pointless where we are right now, it’s not like it’s a game breaker or lacks necessary features because of it (don’t even mention VR, VR is fine )

Achokaracho and sissydriver like this.
  5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

I wouldn’t be underestimating how useful drivers find sims like ACC. Real testing is very expensive and your time is limited, and travel right now is very restricted/non existent. ACC provides perfectly accurate tracks and very good physics that allows drivers to practice, I’d also say that when they are taking that practice seriously they are unlikely to be online and streaming.

Then you also have a track like Bathurst which you just can’t do any testing/practice on prior to the 12 hour as it’s a street circuit, an accurate representation of that venue in a sim with accurate physics is very valuable as it’s the only practice drivers can get.

So I really wouldn’t write sims off as “just a game” you may treat it as such but that is very old thinking and a bit unfortunate.

6. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Romain Monti has a great channel and is coaching too.
    ACC needs an interface for an engineer or stand by driver to edit the next pitstop setup for it to work more naturally for "real drivers" who have no experience of clicking setups while fighting on the track.

7. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Yes, very much so. In any race with driver swaps this is really needed so the other drivers can set pit strategy for the next stop.

This would be greatly appreciated if it can be done :)

rikirk, [ATF]Shanti, chksix and 2 others like this.
  8. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm trying to say. People claim how exciting it is that points will be handed out in in GTWC for virtual racing, but maybe for simracers that's exciting but doubtfully for real racers it is aswell. Ofcourse they can use the game as means of training, but to do actual races that count towards championship points is totally something different.

I wouldn't consider it an utopia. There's numerous other sim-like racing games that have developed their own engines, some of which are better than the other ofcourse. Even Kunos has done it themselves.
    And I definitely wouldn't call VR 'fine'. I've briefly owned a Rift S and for iRacing it was decent but for ACC it was absolutely abysmal and I sent it back. Now I'm looking into investing in an RTX3080 combined with a Reverb G2, but from what I've been reading from people with RTX3090s and the fastest CPUs, it seems like I'll have to make quite a few compromises. For sure am I willing to do this though, as long as I can get the game to look somewhat decent. But it's just insane that hardware that gets released 2 years after the game was released, hardware that's way and way faster than anything out there back then, is now struggling to run the game. And I'm not blaming Kunos for that, but UE.

9. Elrann

Elrann Simracer

I think even race drivers are just people and can enjoy and take seriously ACC.

For instance. I know at least 2 of truck drivers nearby me who are all the week on the road, but when they come home, they start playing ETS2 and driving carefully like in their normal day. It is weird, but truck drivers also driving trucks with 750 HP and 25 tons behind and still enjoy sim and take it seriously. If race drivers can’t enjoy sim and can’t take it seriously, then it is just elitism in my opinion. (If I don’t count those who don’t like/play games of any type in general)

10. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I never said anything about them not enjoying it as a game, I'm talking about SRO making it into something serious that counts towards championship points. I've watched countless of Nicki Thiim streams where he continuously makes fun of the people who consider iRacing a simulation while in his opinion it's just a game and it's nothing compared to real life. Still he always enjoyed racing it in, until iRacing messed up the tires beginning of last year that is.

Elrann likes this.
  11. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

I think adding virtual points for the racing teams is a really good FORWARD THINKING move .
    Physical racing is way to expensive and is becoming really exclusive , to the detriment of the sport itself.

Virtual racing if done correctly can be just as valid an experience for both the participant and observer as a real physical race.

There will come a point within the next 30 years , where the hardware will be so much better, the only difference between a simulation and a real car will be the failure to accurately generate centrifugal force in the average bedroom.

To tell you the truth , The only thing i want from real drivers is information on how close the simulation is to reality, other than that , it does not matter to me weather they play the game or not.

sissydriver likes this.
  12. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

The future of racing on real racetracks does not look good. A lot of money has been lost through Corona. That is simply missing. Then the issue of environment/emission is more and more urgent. There is less and less acceptance of noisy, huge fuel consuming race cars. Silent electric rockets will not attract spectators as much. 2h Monza in absolute silence except tire squeal and loudspeaker announcements? Will the fans pay the current ticket prices for that? I have my doubts.
    Sound generators? The fans vote if the cars sound more like F1 from 2004 or like NASCAR V8 this season? Such questions will come. That does not make everything better.
    Simracing will not become less important. How important it will become nobody knows. The suspicion is that it will gradually replace parts of the real racing. It has already started.

13. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Never.

anthony galmiche likes this.
  14. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

In Sportscars (both on track and on the road) e-fuels could play a big role in the future. When i can afford a Ferrari I can afford e-fuel. Same for Oldtimers.

But they will lose relevance for the development of the mainstream cars. These will probably be BEV. Most efficient and reliable.

15. Serge M

Serge M Alien

I don’t think it sim racing will ever replace real racing, not in our life time at least but I believe they will coexist becoming more and more intertwined.

The environmental factor is also an interesting consideration, take current F1, basically everyone wants the sound of the V8 back but it’s not happening based on costs and environment. If you have high enough production value for the stream/televising, the race would look like a race, sound like you want and all cars are equal minus setup difference. Wonder how many people would care that it’s not “real”.

16. Achokaracho

Achokaracho Racer

I can confirm that.
    When I was still driving a truck(for almost 18 years), I drove the one or other delivery from Germany to Russia in ETS2 after the 12-hour shift i did in my real Truck.
    But I have not always respected all traffic rules, I drove too fast, I crossed a traffic light even though it was red, etc. :eek:

@To disskussion whether racing drivers play ACC etc?
    I think you should not interpret too much into whether racers now play ACC or iRacing etc. or not.
    For most it is only a game, because they have what we are looking for in the sim in RL.
    Most racers I follow on Twitch or Youtube play the sims because they want to have fun.
    When I think about what Nikki Thiim thought about ACC in the beginning and you see him now when he drives, how much fun it is for him and how his opinion has changed to the positive, even though he was the absolute iRacing fanboy before.
    The guys/gals just have the kick in RL that we are looking for in the sim.

If you want to see a cool sim racing series where the rldrivers have gradually taken it more and more seriously, you should go to Youtube and watch the races from BP All Stars Eseries Supercars 2020.
    They are as exciting as in reality!:D
    After the lockdown, hardly any of them were still simracing, because they were too busy with the RL races.

Every sim has its advantages and disadvantages.
    I would like to have a sim that has the graphics of ACC, the physics of ACC, the FFB of ACC, the broadcasting and the vehicle dynamics in the replay of iRacing,the repaly options including the different camera options of iRacing and AC1 (Especially the static camera option. I miss it most in ACC), the sharpness in VR of iRacing/AC1, the tracks of iRacing+AC+ACC, the modding function of AC1, the Competition System, with the different race series, from iRacing
    But since I can not have everything at once, I take what I can get.
    Upgrade my PC, especially the graphics card (Is next) and drive sometimes ACC, sometimes iRacing and sometimes AC1.
    I enjoy these 3 games the most so I enjoy them. :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Elrann likes this.
  17. Jordan Louis

Jordan Louis Gamer

Sims have a way to go, e.g. without some type of tactile transducer there is no life. If you know how to build a proper sim then the experience is quite good. The problem is most RL race drivers aren't going to buy, install, and spend hours perfecting a configuration via 3rd party software. Most sim setups I see are missing key details that make it more than the sum of all the parts involved. Apps to drive peripherals need to ideally be native to the sim software itself vs offering APIs for others to implement.
    I'm not a race car driver but I do track days, motorcycle and car, and I've had to pour a lot of money (12K-13K) and time into my sim for it to be a worthwhile ACC experience. I don't see it getting cheaper but it needs to get a whole lot easier if we expect better overall adoption and reception from professionals.
    Setups from D.P. is a step in the right direction but something that will hopefully come from the manufacturer down the road.

18. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

Giving up on U4 will be a lost of time. I think it wouldn't be an option.

Why people don't understand that detail and nice graphics come with a cost? It always been like that.

Just turn your details down or get a modern pc.

19. Felge Schneider

Felge Schneider Hardcore Simmer

The main downsides of UE4 are the AA techniques and the fact, that Kunos had to do big workarounds to get sim features working properly, like the triple screen support.
    I had the impression, that this feature alone took a lot of the manhours, the team expected to save by using an existing engine.

20. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Anyone here used The Sim Grid for races? Ran a few today, needs more people in Australia but otherwise works really well. Just register for a race and go, can see how many people are registered, races every hour.

https://beta.thesimgrid.com

Actually surprised how easy it is. Tracks your results as well, reminds me a lot of how iRacing works with registering for races and keeping your driver profile.

chksix, AndyK70 and Guidofoc like this.