1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Who's at Fault? - Discussing Racecraft and Incidents

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by m_box97, Jan 15, 2020.

1. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

So you think, a car 2 sec. slower per lap should get a white flag than?
    Crazy.

2. saurohd

saurohd Racer

Sorry, I thought you mentioned the blue flag...:)

3. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

#29 is at fault for not keeping his line.
    Defending by switching lines was too late, the other car was already overlapping and he surely got a spotter message "Car left!". Pulled over nonetheless and got spun.
    He shot himself into the foot.

4. devil in me

devil in me Racer

29 executed a perfect pitmanouver on himself like a boss.

AndyK70 likes this.
  5. JanR

JanR Gamer

Maybe I understood you wrong (and maybe a bit off topic, sorry) - but for clarification:
    The white flag is not shown to the slow car, but rather to the cars approaching the slow car (which for example has rejoined the track after a yellow flag situation, but is still way slower than the others would expect it at that part of the track).

sps_for_race, AndyK70 and devil in me like this.
  6. sps_for_race

sps_for_race Alien

Of course.
    Kept the answer too short.

JanR, devil in me and AndyK70 like this.
  7. Audun Sjøen

Audun Sjøen Gamer

Yes and no in my opinion, Audi is trying to squeeze into a gap that is starting to close, Honda is probably using ingame spotter, and that one is not to be trusted, it calls clear while car is still within its "reach". Honda should not have drifted towards the left, and he should be aware of Audi closing in, but Audi had the overview of the situation, and could easily have switched over to the right side.

My opinion, not claiming to be right, but there is always at least two sides to an incident.

8. devil in me

devil in me Racer

I dont see in this case two sides at all... the car behind gave enough time for the car ahaed to choose a line, and the car behind stick to its line. he doesnt have to move anywhere. the car ahaed needs to be aware ( and he was. he just tryed to block ), wich makes no sense at all in this situation. I dont see the Audi trying to squeeze into nothing at all. U dont need spotter,radar, relative.. u just need to be somehow aware of the cars around u. doesnt matter how. The problem its people don't understand that racing its not blocking or intervining in others cars lines.. car ahead failed a turn ( even if he didnt) if the car behind its catching u in a midle of a straight , there is only one thing for the car ahaed to do, pick a line a stick to it. Moving when the car behind its pretty much on top of u, its gona be your fault no matter what.

9. Audun Sjøen

Audun Sjøen Gamer

I'm not claiming there's no fault on Honda side, however, with a bit of self-preservation the Audi could easily have avoided this. And that's my point.
    In racing there's always the aspect of self-preservation, and if you master that you'll automatically avoid alot of unnecessary incidents, and you'll become a better racer

10. devil in me

devil in me Racer

u need to re look into the incident we talking about. I shouldnt even keep trying to explain something so obvious, but im stupid enough to give it another try. ( and im not saying i should be heard or anything, but some stuff make me think im from another alien world, that the obvious is different for me)

After the hard left turn the car ahaed is on the right side of the track, coming into the small left kink he crossed to apex that kink( second mistake already) , with a car already very close behind, by this time the car ahaed NEEDS to know he is going to get passed.
    He apex the kink and went to the left again( another two mistakes), by this time the car behind moved once again ( after he already tried to look into both sides of the car ahaed) to the left of the car ahaed and by this exact moment they are side by side.
    And once again the car ahaed moves back into the left side of the track where there is one car already ( another mistake). By this point the car "behind" can only go into the grass or lift/brake. And if i put myself inside the car "behind" head i would have though something like " this idiot know i am here right? " and i would do the same he did, wait till the last moment for the other guy to realise i am there, because i can't be anywhere else..

I would agree with u that some incidents both are to blame with one more than the other, but both could have avoid it. In this case as of course the car behind could have done something to avoid it, but in this case in particular for avoiding the incident he would most likely be better not even getting into a race. its not the kind of incident u blame the car behind by anymeans.. For him to avoid stupidity he needs to stop racing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    AndyK70 and sps_for_race like this.
  11. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Would like to see the cockpit view from the Honda. I suspect his side mirror was not showing the audi. The mirrors in ACC are rather bad IMO. It looked like he forgot the Audi was there and just started positioning for the next corner.

12. I'm with 'Devil in me' on this one.

Audi had a clear opportunity to pass and did nothing wrong. He had the right to be there as he was already starting his overtaking manoeuvre. The Honda should've left at least 1 car width.
    It's similar to pushing someone off track in a corner because he tries to overtake at he outside.

Yes, both could easily avoid the accident, but Honda had everything to lose as he was going to fishtail himself.

devil in me and sps_for_race like this.
  13. miltipello

miltipello Rookie

As with a lot of these incidents, it's easy to say that one car could have chosen an action that may have avoided an accident, but really doesn't mean they should have to.

Sure, the Audi could have eased off the throttle and avoided the Honda drifting back across the circuit, but the fact they collided is still on the lead car here. They opened up the opportunity with the poor exit on the straight, and made the decision to follow the racing line through the kink and drift to the right of the circuit. When entering this turn, albeit pretty minor, they should have been thinking about car positioning ahead of the long straight and where they wanted to be when the right turn approached at the end of it. They chose to allow the car to following the racing line and drift to the right of the circuit.

At this point they should probably have held their line, or possibly drifted more centrally to make it more of a decision for the Audi behind; however, they seemed to panic and tried to squeeze the Audi and crucially did so too late. It's a move they may have gotten away with had they done it initially after exiting the turn, but then would have had to left the inside line open, and the Audi likely would have moved across to that side when they saw the original door close. The mistake was realising the Audi was making the move, and then trying to close a gap that couldn't be shut. Ultimately, this ended poorly for the Honda and hopefully they'll reflect on this in future battles.

AndyK70, devil in me, bbman and 2 others like this.
  14. b3nje909

b3nje909 Gamer

Instead of scrolling through a humongous amount of replies.

What is the consensus on being "blue flagged/lapped"?

Do I move out of the racing line and slow down, or will pass me at their first available opportunity?
    I've noticed the AI dont seem to have a set rule, and do wierd **** like slow to a standstill on an apeks...

15. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

1. The to be lapped car has no obligation to slow down and move out of the racing line.
    2. The lapping car has the obligation to overtake the to be lapped car in a safe manner
    3. Like Aris said: Be predictable! Do not "jump" out of the way! The lapping car may already have committed to an overtake and your jump to the side will be right in their line causing a crash.
    4. If the to be lapped car is not in a fight for position itself it is good manners to let the fast cars by without holding them up. To do so there are possibilities like:
      a) Going into long corners (more than 90°) take the outside line. You may use the turn indicators to show where (which line) you are going.
      b) on the straight move over early, make sure the fast car is not right behind you(!!) using the slipstream and then slightly lift the throttle
    5. Do not exit a turn and sweep over to the inside! This is unpredictable! The fast car may already set this line to overtake you. (see 3. above)
    6. You do not have to go off track to let them pass, don't do it. You risk to crash. You risk to slide around and come to a halt pointing in the wrong direction. Your re-entry to the track may cause more damage.

16. devil in me

devil in me Racer

This is a hard question to answer, so:

Do you have to move? - No.
    Should you move? - Depends on the situation (track position for both drivers, how many drivers, which ones are figthing for position,etc).
    Should u ease up the overtake as a lapped car? -Definitely yes.

All this raises another question, how should you ease up the overtake as a lapped car?
    Don'ts would be for me:
    Don't lift on a apex.
    Don't brake at the exit of a turn (special in the racing line).
    Don't wait till the last second near the braking zone to "give" the position.

The do's:
    if u gona lift, lift on the straight, and out of the racing line.
    Going to the outside in a turn, opening the inside for the pass.
    There are others! ( ideas anyone?).

try to think ahaed, try to understand how fast he is getting you, and inside the 1s and 1.5s, already knowing where u gona let him pass,
    Dont wait to see what he is going to do and where,mostly because he sees gaps that u dont see, so he may send the car in unspectted ways for you ( not really sure if this is a very good advice, but kind works for me. granted i have not been a lapped car very often).

sps_for_race and AndyK70 like this.
  17. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

hehe:cool:

devil in me likes this.
  18. devil in me

devil in me Racer

Well i dont agree on this one with you :/ Houston we have a problem :)
    In a race i think you should move your car and indicate where he should go.
    The less he moves his car the better.. so he staies on his line and just indicate to where its open.

I see it this way. i want the other guy to "stand still" on his line, so i can make my decisions. if he points me trhough, i jump on it.

19. bbman

bbman Racer

That is counterintuitive though - in every other situation when one car indicates to another, it's always where the car indicating will be going, why should this change in sim racing? Also, as it come up in a recent stream: When you want to signal to the driver behind you're pitting on Suzuka, would you seriously indicate left?

That said, the optimal way probably would be to act so predictable that indicating isn't needed...

20. devil in me

devil in me Racer

Well, u usually use the indicators to tell others u are turning into another direction correct?
    Entering a pitlane u are changing directions, u are exiting the main track, and of to another lane.
    At suzuka exiting the chicane u gona be in the pitlane side if u indicate to the right ( i know u gona enter the pitlane).

On the track it self u dont have lanes or crossroads to indicate u are gona turn into a different lane. ( dont forget people brake and slow down to turn, its easier to see the indicator from the outside at a slower velocity )
    Therefore its easier to see the movement of your car and react to it. than to a light that u may not see. But if u use it to indicate where is going to be an open space helps a lot. because the movement of your car i already spotted and i will react to it.

I just see it this way.. not saying im right ( in this one i have not a clue ideia for real.) just feels more intuitive for me this way.