1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving Technique Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Karsten Beoulve, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Unf

Unf Racer

Aris explained it many times - if some alien is 2s faster than you, it means he is faster just by 0.2s but... on every corner. So if you have 10 corners on track and he is just 0.2s faster on each - you have 2 seconds in summary.
    It is according to be very precise and consistent, this is also about better hardware (especially pedals), this is about just "talent" that someone have etc. It is even about little details like - when you braking, are you 100% sure that you brake on 100% at the beginning? Do you use trail brake? I've found that when I was braking, my "red brake marker" was not on 100% power when it should be - I was just push brake pedal too soft. Correcting it by adding deadzone of 30% on brake pedal sensitivity gave me up to 0.5s per lap better times, due to the fact I was able to brake later when I started to use full power of brake pedal lol.

So there are a lot of mini factors. At least you can put a video here so we can say something, casue 1.47 on Barcelona is quite slow - this indicate you are doing something very bad and this indicate further that is should be very easy to fix.

2. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

A question, but 1st, I'm not stating that there is not the POSSIBILITY of cheating, but why do you feel you should be the fastest driver out there ?

Or even close to being as fast as the FASTEST drivers.

PS: Post your times at other tracks like Monza, Spa, Zolder, Imola, Nurb etc, so we can better judge.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  3. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

There's nothing funky there, top tier race pace is 43-44s, qualy in the low 42s or better (in normal temps).

Dewald Nel likes this.
  4. Tobus

Tobus Racer

Thanks, I will look into the braking bit at least, as I normally dont have the hud display with throttle and braking visuals set to on.

I dont feel like i have to be. Generally I have great races and happy to be in the top half when finishing. But it irks me that others can do 5-7 seconds A LAP faster on same setup, and mimicking them looks absolutely the same in replay (comparing entry, during and exit speeds on corners) yet harvests times with such a big difference. I'd be perfectly happy and understanding with 1-2 sec difference, but this just seems too much.

I'll see if I can up a video, have never recorded so have to figure out how ;-)

5. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

I hear ya, I'm in the same boat, can't see the differences when watching those faster than me, but do realize that EVERY little bit, adds up to a BIG bit.

I always do seem to notice the old racing sayings, if you think you made a "fast" lap, you probably didn't, if you thought you were slow/smooth, you probably were "fast"

My excuses are, I don't ever do lapping, don't enjoy it, and am not good at it.

I do this for fun,... = racing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Tobus likes this.
  6. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

I was doing i think about average of mid 1:47s on Barcelona, then suddenly i did a 1:44.3, then now i am in the early to mid 1:46s. in the period of a couple of days. I obviously learned something, but not sure what. However it is obvious to me why people can go few seconds faster than me. they are not cheating , they are just faster. If you look at your replays carefully it surprising the number of mistakes you can see yourself make. No point looking at other peoples hotlaps, you can't see where they are making up the time unless you know where to look. I suppose that's why people have driving coaches.

AndyK70, Tobus and LATE4APEX like this.
  7. Tobus

Tobus Racer

Oh dont get me wrong: same thing here. I just want to understand it ;-)

LATE4APEX likes this.
  8. johnasmith97

johnasmith97 Rookie

Might be worth watching this:

Chris Haye being coached by one of the quickest guys out there, Nils Naujoks. This won't be fully representative of what you're doing wrong necessarily but definitely has some useful information in there.

chksix, Tobus and Justin Cruze like this.
  9. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

@Tobus could you maybe send us a replay of your lap for a reference?
    When comparying replays you can find loads of many important things but of course you need to know what makes the difference in the first place, that's why you usually see laps as very similar as you don't know what differences do what and many of them seem so insignificant that your brain literally erases them, I know, frustrating af :oops:
    But without that footage it's really hard to say what your problem may be so if you could link sth we could help you to find those differences :D , not full coaching but always something :p

10. Burnleyhome

Burnleyhome Racer

Entry and exit speed are one aspect when looking at a replay.
    Mid corner speed is huge. You can have similar entry / exit, but alot lower mid-corner speed, which is 0.1-0.2 for that corner.
    Similar entry / exit speed - for 2kph entry / exit = around 0.1 per lap, or more if there is a long straight afterwards
    Getting on throttle earlier and more aggressive. If the alien is on the throttle 5-10m earlier than you, its a time gained. Same with braking.

Its VERY easy to lose 0.2 per corner.

I race similar settings to you against AI. Some tracks I'm better than AI, some I'm worse. My better tracks are from practice and asking.
    Using Motec or RST, you can get alien data, so you can see where you are losing a big chunk of time (I lose around 0.5 on fast RH after F1 pit straight - and its line to carry speed through the corner).
    Joining a league is amazing. There are usually the whole range of driver skill levels, and the fast guys give advice, data, follow you, let you follow them.. More community than league.

11. bbman

bbman Racer

I see your Nils, I raise you (sorry in advance, forum won't let me format these as URLs):

Also this, but this might a bit too much for now:

The reason I'm saying "too much right now" is: with 1:47, there are more basic problems than not having the last bit of confidence in what the car can do. I would suggest first focusing on getting the lines correct. By chance, our boii Tortellinii just recently did a trackwalk of Barcelona:

(trackwalk starts at 52:30) He drives in VR, so be warned if you have a queasy stomach...

If you prefer Aris, here's his trackwalk:

chksix, Tobus and Maciej Malinowski like this.
  12. Tobus

Tobus Racer

Thanks all, will watch them. For argument's sake: I'm quite confident, at least feel fast, rarely crash out unless I "overdrive" myself.
    Not a total loss, I'm learning, now consistently in the 1:46's ;-).
    For analysis sake, I took a 1.46.002 at Barcelona, free practice, default aggressive setup with only tire pressures adjusted.
    See

let me know where/what to improve on lines/braking/speeds/etc?

13. Unf

Unf Racer

Few obvious things:

2:45 - you missed the apex
    3:31 - apex missed again

Many times you don't use width of the track, 2:32 for instance - you could be a lot of more on the left side here before braking and having less sharp angle to it.

If this is camera that you use, try to do same thing as there was descripted to other guy: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...chnique-discussion.61339/page-26#post-1178712

By switching view much more to front and adjust fov you will gain a lot better immersion and feeling.

Tobus and AndyK70 like this.
  14. Tobus

Tobus Racer

yeah not a clean lap indeed. I find the apexes at Barca especially difficult for some reason. Must be the lack of braking clear braking points on those corners.

And i've indeed been fiddling with my view settings some time ago. The calculators all give me a 30'is degree fov, which I find way too confining, like old people driving with their head on the wheel :-D.
    So I'm also testing on that, and indeed this is a bit too far out too.

thanks for the feedback so far!

15. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

In the View Settings there is another setting you should consider: Distance

It changes the seat position in the car but not the FoV.

16. Tobus

Tobus Racer

Yes doing that now: reduce fov while increase distance. Some more testing ahead today.

17. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

@Tobus First of all you really need to get rid of the habbit of staying on the throttle that you have. That leads to all sorts of problems that you are not in control of and are random creating an illusion of you thinking you are at the limit when it's just you not being in control of how car is turining and using it's grip. That also just reduces overall grip and potentian of the car as it moves the weight to the rear while you are asking for more and more steering (and you understeer or wait for understeer to go).
    Waiting and being in control are key things here. First you need to activly think of how and why car turns, think about load transfers and how each tyres generate grip throughout a corner, try to keep the weight and therefor grip on the front tyres (drive on the nose, don't let the car be front tyres limited, reduce how much you have to wait and react which always comes with some margin of error creating inconsistancy of car's reactions and behaviours reducing your confidence and consistancy. Be in control and at command of the car's actions and behaviours rather than asking a car to do sth and wait for it to do it. That way you are driving in a way which reduces amount of factors that define car's grip and behaviour making them way more consistant and increases your confidence in the car and allows to use the grip of the car as efficiently as possible and push to the limit more effortlessly.

Of course then there are loads of techniques and ways of training this thing but tbh it's allready getting quite complicated if you are not familiar with it isn't it.
    Yes it's about the details, but first you need to be drive in a way that you are able to contol the details
    That post probably also applies to like more than 90% of simracers

Clivew, Tobus, AndyK70 and 2 others like this.
  18. Unf

Unf Racer

@Tobus - do you know anything more what to do after Tortellinii's post? Don't think so :rolleyes:

It was like:

Tobus and chksix like this.
  19. johnasmith97

johnasmith97 Rookie

But what happens when you put tortellini in water, does the water become the tortellini or does Tortellinii become the water?

Maciej Malinowski likes this.
  20. Tobus

Tobus Racer

Haha yes actually. It's all about finding more control I guess. I don't feel i'm not in control (I rarely crash so to me that's a pointer of driving correct), but also see I still need to learn, which is what's so great about ACC and it's depiction of the cars and tracks in it. Mind you, I've gone from 1:47's to 1:45's in 5 days now, just by doing laps and doing mental notes on every corner, trying other stuff, going from wrestling to caressing the car around while still going lower on the laptimes.
    First I'll go with the view stuff though, as that seems to do quite a bit. Done that some time ago but good to revisit. I'll never be an alien nor some simracing voodoo monk like Tortellini over there ;-) , but if I can get near them that would be reward enough for me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Unf likes this.