1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving Technique Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Karsten Beoulve, Nov 26, 2019.

1. bbman

bbman Racer

I think what Tortellinii was trying to say: when you stop braking right when you turn in and even step on the throttle, you're shifting the weight (and traction potential) to the back - just when you need it most on the front and want the rear light to rotate better.

If you allow a few observations from a slowpoke like me: you give up loads of space before a turn... Especially in the first and last sector, you often drift almost to the middle of the track before entering the turn for good, so you make the corner much tighter than it needs to be. Get most of your braking done in a straight line, then be more decisive with your steering inputs - you're gonna need to have confidence in the car's potential. The last corner is arguably the most important one on Barcelona, and you're missing the apex there (outlap by about half a car's width, fast lap by quite a lot) - you lose time all the way down to T1, that alone can make a big difference...

Tobus and AndyK70 like this.
  2. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Tiny little thing I noticed, keep the car straight on the straight. You probably added 50m more to the straight because of the slight turns here and there.

Tobus likes this.
  3. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

If in VR get out of "monitor mode" and look through the corners far ahead to see the line through them better. I find that I'm still limiting myself to look just in front of the car, staring at the next brake point. I improve my laptimes when I get my view out of the car so to speak by turning my head more than is possible on a monitor.

AndyK70 likes this.
  4. Maciej Malinowski

Maciej Malinowski Hardcore Simmer

If you are on monitor also get out of monitor mode and try to look through the corner :D

5. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

@Tobus I don't know if you are able to understand German, but that video of Mabix is worth watching anyway.
    It is a community race he did with his subscribers and used it to show general struggles and how to avoid them.

In the first part he gives the advice not to bother if a faster car is behind you, do not let you get distracted and don't get nervous. There is no need to. The best you can do to stay fast is to concentrate on your own driving, not missing braking points and get out of corners fast.

"Slow in, fast out" is the next part and he demonstrates it in a very impressive manner. He says he is basically cruising without pushing, only focusing on apexes and exits. He stays behind the cars, backing off, as long they don't make big mistakes to show how easily he gains on them every time exiting turns.

Malc2169 and chksix like this.
  6. laurent7979

laurent7979 Rookie

Hi

I'm trying to improve my technique, basically I'm not really fast, at all. On most of the tracks.

Let's pick Monza. No matter if I watch Aris streams or Youtube channels for track guides, I just can't get below 1'52, 1'54 98% of my attempts, I did a 1'49 once, with the Porsche, and I basically don't really know how I did it.

I think I basically don't understand how GT4 (or GT3 for the matter) cars are supposed to be driven. I have experience in other games and good results (sims, or simcade like GT Sport), but I guess ACC is just too "hard" to understand for me - yet I enjoy the game.

Too many questions, asking for some help :
    - lift off oversteer : how do you really avoid it ? I get that on liftoff balance goes to the front, traction is lost at the rear. Am I supposed to setup soften rear antiroll on every car ?
    - the wheel is way hard to steer, I had to put gain to 50% and FOR to 60%, on a Fanatec CSL. Is this supposed to be that hard to steer given no power steering ?
    - are you supposed to trail brake every corner (except hairpins) to get decent times ? basically I brake hard, lift off, rotate, release the brakes, throttle on apex
    - oversteer, again : I'm trying to figure out if you are supposed to setup aero downforce and anti roll bars for every decent time attack attempt. With safe of aggressive presets, now matter how, I get oversteer, especially on the double left in 3rd gear at monza, sometimes even after the 2nd chicane. I don't know why I am loosing grip, I understand these cars are not F1, yet I should have grip and downforce, I just don't get how to prevent oversteer... except being soft on the throttle i.e being slow
    - I'm on a SEN 900: ingame 900 rotation, should I try less ? I don't understand how the setting works, really. I get 1:1.

7. RE_brotakul

RE_brotakul Gamer

Yeah, don’t sweat it. ACC is quite a bit harder and more hardcore than GT Sport. It needs to grow on you and really put some time into it (as with any hardcore sim, when you step up from GTS). You can’t ride kerbs the same way, or get the more linear grip or the car balance as in GT Sport.
    I’m in no way great with setups, i myself struggle to learn as much as i can, but:
    - lift off oversteer: you don’t need to soften front ARB, that will make the car pitch more even when lift off, but especially when braking and cornering. You do that if you want more oversteer/bite. Lift off oversteer happens because of the weight shift to the front, so if anything, you need to stiffen the front springs, but there are high speed corners (like on Paul Ricard) where you need to apply maintenance throttle, as in keeping the throttle half way pushed (lets say) so you won’t accelerate but you reduce weight transfer from the rear to the front. It’s a bit hard to learn but it works and helped be a lot with spins on Paul Ricard and Silverstone.
    If anything, lower the rear height a bit and it will make the car more understeer, easier to control, at least until you learn to manage/control the oversteer. It’s more of a driver’s issue than a car/setup one.
    My recommendation is to start with default safe preset (a more understeer setup), get used to it, move to aggressive presat (a more oversteer setup), get used to that and only then move to changing setups yourself to extract the most from the car. First, you need to really understand the car’s behavior without worrying/messing with the setups.
    - trailbrake: yep, most of the time in mid speed corners (again Silverstone, Nurburgring, Misano, etc). Trailbrake as much as possible to push the brake point closer to the turn and gain maybe even tens of seconds. The way you describe it, you’re losing time. In racing, coasting is losing time, when not absolutely necessary.
    - you mean the double right... right? Yes, apply throttle progressively but also use TC. You should be at TC 4 or even 5, at least when learning ACC. Even aliens use higher TC on some cars. I know in GT Sport you really need to run TC zero to be quick, it’s not the same in ACC. GT cars are really meant to be raced with TC, there’s no shame in doing so.
    - if you run ACC on PC, set 900dgr in wheel and 900dgr again in game. The game will adjust ratio automatically to match each car. If you run on console, you need to set 900dgr in wheel and change angle in game for each car every time you change the car.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    AndyK70 and chksix like this.
  8. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Mostly lit-off oversteer happens when you are too late on the brakes, meaning you turn entry speed is too high and you need to slow down a bit. That's when you go off throttle and lift-off oversteer happens.
    Brake a little bit earlier so you don't need to slow down mid corner. Corner exit is way more important than corner entry. What you lose in time at corner entry (0.02s) is nothing compared to the gain of time (0.1s - 0.5s) when getting the exit right and being early on the throttle.
    In a chicane or sweeping corners (left-right, left-right-left, or vie versa) concentrate on the last apex not on the entry not on the middle. Always focus on the exit.

If you are referring to FFB strength is too high in high speed corners, then Dynamic Damping is the option to lower. Dynamic Damping has nothing to do with the "normal" dampers you adjust in the car setup.
    If you get to hard response by hitting curbs, bumps, etc. then Gain is the right option to lower.
    And as always: set the strength to what please you. Important is, to get enough information from the FFB but low enough so you can handle it. There is no meaning in having it cranked all up when you can't hold it.

When in the beginning you are learning how the cars handle it may be more likable to brake, lift off (fully) and coast to the apex while steering. You can be quite fast doing so,when done right. To get the last hundredth seconds you need to learn trail brake.
    Basically you brake hard in a straight (or as straight as you can), ease off slowly while beginning to steer into the corner. The more you ease off the brake the more you can steer without losing grip (the "traction circle"). Just before or right at the apex you are off the brakes completely and once passed the apex you begin to apply the throttle easing in.

Again: you're too late on the brakes!
    Slow in, fast out.
    Watch this video beginning at 3:10, there Mabix demonstrates "slow in, fast out". He does not attack on the brakes, instead he backs off before braking zone and only drives the "right" line, hitting apexes and being early on the throttle. He talks about this in German, but you don't need to understand what he is saying, just watch it and you understand.

Controller settings 900° and ingame settings 900° is just right.
    Every car in ACC has it's own max steering rotation angle.No car has more than 900°.
    Let's take the Audi R8 LMS Evo as an example, it has 720° of steering rotation.
    Your steering wheel should be equal to the steering wheel on screen at every angle up to 360° (on full rotation) to the left and 360° to the right. When you steer more than that it won't affect the steering of the car, the car can't steer any more and will stay at full 360° angle to that side until your steering angle gets again under the 360° and will be in sync with your steering wheel again.
    Unfortunately ACC does not have a soft lock at the max steering angle of the individual car, so you do not feel the max angle.

Here is a list of cars max steering angles in ACC:

chksix, RE_brotakul and sps_for_race like this.
  9. Tobus

Tobus Racer

not quoting all of you for replying to me as that would make this post way long, but thanks to all. Also watching the movies I didnt know yet. Much appreciated!

I'm also engaged in an online championship with FD Racing Department, had the first race this weekend at Barcelona. Qually went bad: low 1:46, which in free practice would have given me a top 10 place but in actual qually put me in 23rd. But what I lack in pure speed when it matters I make up for in consistency: in the race I never ventured 0.5 seconds from the 1:46.5 mark, making my race enjoyable, finishing just out of the top half but outdriving guys that qualified up front. Much to learn, but very enjoyable. Now training for the Hungaroring, in which I shall have to take all your advice at heart as times are not what I want them to be there too ;-).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    AndyK70 likes this.
  10. RE_brotakul

RE_brotakul Gamer

Consistency is one of the most important in racing, sometimes even more than being fast. I’m too a slower driver, not even bothering doing qualies (mostly to start from the back and not get involved in T1 crashes), but i usually end up finishing mid-grid by being consistent and overtaking all those guys pushing the limit and ending up crashing. They might be faster than me but in short 20mins races it’s very hard, sometimes even impossible, to recover places lost after a crash. Speed comes with time, consistency is the key.

bbman, AndyK70 and Tobus like this.
  11. Tobus

Tobus Racer

I love the Mabix movies. I'm Dutch so can understand German fairly well, but even without sound and focussing on the throttle/brake app very insightfull. Thanks again for sharing, as most stuff I find is searched in english, thus these not popping up.

AndyK70 likes this.
  12. Turk

Turk Alien

Lift off oversteer was one of those counterintuitive things I had to learn. I learned all about it on the skip barber car in rFactor. That car really punishes LOOS. The mistake I kept making was trying to slow down more which just made the problem worse. I had to learn to stop trying to slow the car down when the LOOS happened and try and balance the car out with acceleration to send the weight towards the back of the car. Basically my take on it is if I get LOOS then the car is balanced wrong (to much weight sent forward), I need more weight on the rear, the only way to do that is to avoid braking altogether at that point were it happens (or just before it happens), even avoid letting the car slow naturally, you need to be on the accelerator earlier not braking.

It's things like LOOS that showed me I was never going to just practice my way into getting fast. I needed to learn what was going on and get advise from people who knew what they were doing. There is an ancient skip barber "going fast" I think it's called video on youtube. That's were I eventually learned what I was doing wrong.

chksix likes this.
  13. Rudski

Rudski Alien

The video is here. It's awesome and was one of the things I watched over and over years ago.

14. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Rookie

Sim racing newbie here, about 50 hours total in ACC so far. Been trying to learn fundamentals and watching lots of videos to improve my lap times but feeling a bit stuck or plateauing at the current moment.

Have been practicing a ton on Spa since it seems to be a course with the most technical variety, and for whatever reason the Lamborghini seemed to have given me my fastest lap times there so I have been sticking with it. Also enjoyed the McLaren, Ferrari and Aston Martin, for what it's worth and can usually get those within 0.5 to 1s pf my Lambo time.

Sharing a 3 lap sample on Spa in the Lamborghini for critique. Curious to understand my own driving style (being new I don't really know what it is) and to learn what fundamental mistakes I am consistently making around the track that are costing me the ability to be competitive closer to 2:18 as it seems I still have a long way to go.

15. LeiF

LeiF Alien

@BigShotBob
    After the apex, try to let the car run wide more naturally and unwind the steering earlier. Looks like you are fighting the car really hard and still have lots of steering lock on way after the apex. This will be scrubbing off speed for no reason; Try going in a bit slower to the corners until you nail the exits every time.

16. devil in me

devil in me Racer

for me looks like u still trying to find and understand your braking marks yet. U rarely braked at the same marks on almost every turns. That will translate to the turn in points too.

17. bbman

bbman Racer

This, also @BigShotBob: You turn in too late basically from Malmedy to Les Fagnes, missing almost all apexes - which means you are losing time on entry to get the car to turn in at a sharper angle and you're also scrubbing speed at the exit by forcing the car to stay on the track with excessive steering angle.

18. Akkan

Akkan Rookie

Just a short question. I‘m new to ACC, coming from F1 and have to learn what „simulation“ really means. ;-) Started on Nürburgring with the BMW and had massive understeer. Tried the Lexus and was instantly 1,5sec faster. Is the BMW really that hard to drive or is the standard setup a bit off? Maybe i have to practice a bit more with the car.

19. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

Every car has it's own behavior and way to be driven.
    Some are more likely to be fitting with your driving style and others you need to adapt to get fast.

Turk, Akkan and devil in me like this.