1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving Technique Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Karsten Beoulve, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Hankmadison

Hankmadison Gamer

This is great. Thank you!

2. I do not think reconstructing a ghost from motec data will be possible. Ghost data has much more than raw telemetry data that motec use.

As mentioned before both setups and ghosts as well as motec data can be shared within community. For some strange reason no one is willing to share in ACC (but sell!!!). There are a few setups here and there, Some motec of slower drivers asking for advice but i could not find any site that has ghost files. In many sims and even professional production software users usually constantly share or allow software to upload those to a server for others to download and try. I do not know if it is due to lack of an official space to do so or due to envy and greed.

3. In some tracks common strategies and common overtaking spots (ie; straights) just do not work. I found out that close chase not always help when you stuck behind a much slower driver as they ruin your line, break points and slow in fast out. In a few track, i realized that they get much slower in certain corners then my usual. So i started to leave a longer gap between them, perform a prober much faster turn and take over during the exit. Normally ı would not guess that by studying the map as they do not look suitable in 2D.

I have limited time and watching two hours of race just to find out a spot is not possible for me. As the title says, i am looking for a guide for safe overtaking spots in ACC tracks. So that i can try and practice against AI before ruing races in while trying during a MP.

Thanks.

4. PLEEEAAASSEE do not merge everything here! It is even impossible to follow our own post let alone following other's post that we are interested in. People need to post replies after 10 different post and it is confusing. PLEAAASSSEE!

Attached Files:

5. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

I would think that having someone determine safe overtaking spots for you, is not really going to help anybody who needs to be told where to pass.

That I would think is just part of all the other racing skills we need learn, sometimes the hard way,... but hay, thats what AI is for,... and you won't get hurt, :D,... or piss off other players, while you are learning.

In my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  6. In many of your comments, you imply "learn it your yourself" or "learn by the hard way". I understand your reasoning and i am too into hardworking. NP there.

I am 50. When I started playing guitar, there was no internet, no taps/notes, not even method books for electric. I had to learn all by ear and by myself. With all the advances in technology and popularly of sharing now, new kids improve in 5 years to a point i reached in 35+ years. And do not think i was not committed or untalented. I assume you have been into sim racing for a long time and just like my guitar experience, you had to learn all by yourself and maybe a few RL racing books. The beauty of internet and sharing culture is; you do not have to discover things which had been discovered ages ago. There are many racing schools out there teaching, selling such info.

Smart people learn from others mistakes <--- <---- <---- <----
    Average people learn from their own mistakes
    Stupid people do not from anyone's mistakes.

And for me this the point of forums and community discussions. Be a smart A** and learn from others experiences.:cool:

And No. I do not think this as taking a shortcut but increased efficiency.:p

7. bbman

bbman Racer

Here's the big secret: NO corner is a safe overtaking spot, unless you and the other driver can make it so. If you expect anyone to give you a place where you can just drive by another car, then I guarantee you will fail the first time you'll try that there. Good passes ALWAYS take time to observe, prepare, and then strike when the time is right. Anything else is a crash waiting to happen...

LATE4APEX likes this.
  8. You can not overtake during the corner. I was not meaning the corners. But if you are behind a F488 it is clear that you can not catch and overtake during the straight. On other hand, it bleeds lots of speed during corner exits that you can easily overtake while it struggles to accelerate. In the opposite scenario, the only chance with f488 is to take over during straights if you can keep the gap during last exit. But not every straight nor corner are equal and these can only take place in some.

9. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

"You can not overtake during the corner",... :confused:

Dude, this is done all the time, and is a good example of how the always changing current circumstance plays into passing.

One more time, passing is a skill only learned by DOING, like riding a bicycle, nobody can tell you how to ride a bicycle, and then expect to get on a bike for the 1st time, and ride away.
    Braking is just one part of the "passing" skill for example, that needs to be learned.
    Sure, you can read a book that describes the factors involved, but still has to be learned from experience.

Nobody needs to be told that you have to be faster than the car ahead of you, before you can make a pass.

PS: Nobody who has raced is going to say to you,... "that is a safe place to pass", THAT would be a "stupid" statement to make.

10. It maybe my language barrier. It looks like, as if; we agree to disagree although we are on the same page. I REALLY understand what you mean. Even the visual memory of a car triggers "this car is usually slow at that section and i can take advantage of that". This comes from THE EXPERIENCE which can not be surgically implemented into brains yet.

I think i can not clearly explain what i want. Think of YT classic track guides. Before watching one, you can have a basic plan how to use curves, better lines etc. But after watching one, you can immediately improve several secs (for inexperienced ppl like me it helps) but not even close to the driver i mimic. From that point on ı need to practice and perfect everything to close that gap as much as possible. There is no easy way out for sure.

What i want is the fuse and you assume that i asked for the blow.

Do not get me wrong. I am not opposing you. I just want to make myself clearER.

11. Garnet

Garnet Gamer

I'm driving without ABS (or TC) just to get a feel for it and after several laps of hard braking the steering wheel rocks back and forth when I brake.

I'm applying the brake hard, but I'm loading the tires and not locking up. There's no vibration at speed, like there would be from flat spotting, just this strange rocking like the wheels are going over bumps. It happens on all corners. The tire pressures are in the 27's.

Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it might be?

Thanks.

12. Want2BFast

Want2BFast Racer

Have you confirmed there is no flatspotting in the setup screen?

13. Garnet

Garnet Gamer

Thanks, no I haven't, where do I look in the Setup Screen to find out if they're flatspotting? Also wouldn't flatspotting create vibration at speed?

14. Want2BFast

Want2BFast Racer

Yeah, you’d think it would cause a vibration without brake application but in my experience it’s most noticeable on braking. If the tires flatspot sufficiently you will have it happen without brake application. I discovered that in an hour-long race with the Maserati and felt my whole rig shaking as I drove.

I’ve illustrated where you can see flatspotting in the UI.

370D4E03-6096-49BD-8B1E-F7313791E7C7.jpeg

Dewald Nel likes this.
  15. Garnet

Garnet Gamer

That's great, thanks! I'll check it out and post back here for future reference. Cheers.

Want2BFast likes this.
  16. Unless you drive with Maserati, there's no point of driving without ABS or TC (unless you really want to learn precision in your feet) - these cars are meant to drive with those aids and real world drivers use them. TC and ABS are mapped specifically to extract as much performance from the car as possible and limit the car only as much as you set it up.

chksix likes this.
  17. Garnet

Garnet Gamer

Thanks Steve but I find the cars livelier and more fun to drive with everything off. And I get into some bad habits with them on, which really come back to bite when driving other sims.

18. N.Madeira

N.Madeira Gamer

Wondering if someone went through the same as me.

I'm not an alien... not even near. I'm a decent racer in some tracks and an ON ish in others.

There is one though that I just simply can't beat: SPA

And the problem is Eau Rouge (turn 2) or the one that is a high speed chicane on a steep climb!!! what can go wrong?

I approach the first part by steping on the kerb, turn right for the right turn climb and that it... 99/100 times I'll spin at 230 km/h...

Used Safe and Agressive setups and watched multiple SPA - Track Walk videos and hotlaps on Youtube, but just can't get the same results... the moment I turn right the carn loses grip immediately and I'm spinning.

Any advice from someone that has been in the same situation?

Thanks

19. f1200racer

f1200racer Racer

I'm no alien either and had the same problem. I don't know what car you are using and I'll say I don't race Spa much so im no expert but ended up raising the ride height front and rear equal amounts to stop that. I think it has to do with the compression on the suspension as you transition from left to right and start going up hill the car bottoms out and you spin. That's where I would start and see if it makes a difference then go from there.

N.Madeira likes this.
  20. JanR

JanR Gamer

I had the same problem and I'm still having an a bit higher risk in some cars (Audi, BMW, ...) than in others (Bentley, Aston, ...).

From my experience it is very important to get the entry into the uphill right hander right, just after the compression which comes after the first left hander (where you'll need to use as much kerb as possible). If you turn in into the uphill right hander a bit too early or too late you'll end up having big trouble (too late: car might touch the ground, too early: you might hit the right side curb too much - both resulting in unsettling the car quite drastically).