1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

New to sim racing - need help to improve!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by aDd1kTeD2Ka0s, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Hello!

I'm a fairly new Sim Racer (although I've been playing arcade racers for years) and am currently struggling to get to terms with putting in good lap times - especially in hitting the apexes and getting good drive out of them. Since I'm still very slow, I haven't even ventured into MP races coz I know I'd just piss the better drivers off, hence keen to improve!

Controller : Logitech Driving Force GT
    Assists : Everything except automatic braking and visual damage and stability control @ 50%
    RSR Profile : http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=driver_profile&id=7612

I've uploaded a video of a hotlap in a Pagani Zonda on Nurburgring (stock setup) - would appreciate feedback and help on what I'm doing wrong or what I can do better.

Thanks!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] Nordschleife Trophy | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Apr 7, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT3 - USA Sprints | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Nov 7, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - World Sprints | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Oct 8, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT3 - Euro Sprints #2 | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Sep 6, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - Euro Sprints #2 | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Aug 9, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Virtual TechArt GTstreet R now available for racing simulation Assetto Corsa Jun 29, 2023
    Online Leagues / Championships room [SimRacing-GP.net] Pagani Zonda R - Sprint Series | Thursdays Jun 4, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room FDSR - Final Drive Sim Racing May 26, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - Europe Sprint Series | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Feb 28, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT3 - Europe Sprint Series | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Jan 28, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - Sprint Series | Fridays [SimRacing-GP.net] Oct 8, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room Formula Hybrid 2022 sim racing league starting soon! Sep 1, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Formula Hybrid 2022 sim racing league starting soon! Sep 1, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room [SimRacing-GP.net] IER Corvette DP - Sprint Series | Fridays Aug 3, 2022
    ACC Tools SimRacing Management System Jul 16, 2022

3. Just practice . Theres no magic formula to getting better .Turn off the racing line would be a start . ;):)

4. Metal

Metal Racer

Corner starting at 1.12 you must go almost full speed (don't woory at that corner, you will fail a lot of times and some times it will work :)).

5. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

1) drive cars with less power. The more power it has, more difficult it is to drive and more time is lost when you underdrive it. The slowest car you ran in rsr is an gt3, it is still pretty fast, but the pagani in particular is a beast, very very difficult to drive properly.

2) use as little assists as possible, you will never learn anything with them on.

3) try to find someone to use as reference, idealy someone you can contact to ask for replays/setups and that is not miles faster than you (so the learning curve woulnd´t be so steep), so you can relate to what he is doing on track, then learn what he is doing right, assimilate, and repeat with someone else.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...s-and-i-am-still-10-sec-behind-leaders.11905/

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...iding-tank-slappers-snap-back-oversteer.3950/

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/why-why-why-am-i-so-slow.10703/

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/how-many-seconds-can-a-good-setup-save-you.9572/

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/asking-for-help.9152/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  6. Rigel

Rigel Alien

Or at least follow it :D

When exiting corners, let the car flow and use all the road available.
    For example, here:

[​IMG]

You are still turning right but you need to go straight instead, to keep momentum and carry speed in the straight.
    In general you need faster steering movements, in both corner entry and exit. You're being a bit too smooth.
    Maybe the zonda isn't giving enough confidence to do so, but keep in mind that it's not an easy car at all :)

Also, the automatic gearbox is really slow in AC at this stage, especially in the downshifts. With manual gears you can lift the throttle and shift down at the right moment, this will make the car more reactive during turn-in. So I would start practicing manual shifts with an easier car, if I were you :)

aDd1kTeD2Ka0s likes this.
  7. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Rookie

Nothing wrong with your driving, my friend.
    But to become a really competitive driver you have to understand the basics of a car setup and start tweaking them to get lower lap times. Here's a link to a comprehensive overall setup guide:
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...-guide-for-novice-and-advanced-drivers.87492/

Anyway, IMHO the best way to improove as a drivers is to race online, so you can compare your times/setups with other" real" drivers, not AIs. Don't be shy to ask for help: most league/online racers like to help novices.

Just remember to respect your own limits when online: don't be too ambicious about winning races or be super fast.
    This will come with time. :)

aDd1kTeD2Ka0s likes this.
  8. Thank you, this is just the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks! In terms of the smooth steering movement, I'm not sure if it's because of the way I've set up my game or not - but in general I find the steering to be pretty unresponsive. I play with a DFGT @ 900 degrees rotation, 1.00 Gamma, 0.10 Filter and 0.15 Speed Sensitivity - maybe something I can adjust there?

Let me give the manual shifter a go, I'd actually prefer that but I figured i should get used to the steering first before I start worrying about the shifting.

Thanks again!

9. Thank you, that thread looks really useful. Will go through it.

10. I saw some of those threads, but they were mostly how top times in RSR are by cheaters .... not much of use I could find there. Let me browse around a bit more on the forums. Thanks =)

11. Rigel

Rigel Alien

I use 0.00 speed sensitivity, to be as close as real life.
    Also, make sure you don't have any visual lag. Your pc should handle the game pretty well, but if you experience lag, turn vsync off and set the frame limiter at 93 fps.

12. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

just filter the cheater bs there, still there is a lot of info.

13. Matty28

Matty28 Simracer

Some comparison laps for you. He certainly doesn't do it perfectly but he's got the right idea.

What's wrong with 92 fps?

14. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I find RSR pretty good, some people just instantly think that someone who's seconds faster than them must be cheating...There are 1000s of times for some combos, the faster ones set by some of the well known guys from the hobby in general and this board. It can be a bit disheartening at first but it's just incredible how fast some people are.

This is a good book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0760340501/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1405091067&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

15. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

I don't think you need to be concerned with lap times just yet, trying to go fast will only make you slower, my advice would to be turn off all assists and start again, choose a lower powered car and set an AI car to 80% and follow him for 20 laps learning the line (the racing line will only distract you). turn all apps off too and just concentrate on getting clean consistent laps, the speed will come later, I think if you keep practicing with assists on your not really going to learn anything, turn them off and take back control, stability control will really screw with you, good luck.

Rodrigo Pires likes this.
  16. panda

panda Racer

Join MP
    Follow fast people (don't try to overtake)
    Look their trajectory & braking/acceleration points
    Try to reproduce
    You will be fast

17. TCLF

TCLF Alien

I would say don't do this. You will end up behind a faster guy, go into the turn, get out and find out he's gone. Replays and videos are a good start to see where people do what.

18. Turk

Turk Alien

Don't be too agressive into corners. Brake nice and early and get the line right, concentrate on finding the best exit line and then work on getting the car into the corner fast while maintaining that good exit line. I've found when I pull back and just try and do a calm lap I'm often as fast if not faster than when I drive aggressively. Slow in fast out is a rule that's usually true.

19. panda

panda Racer

That's how I learned.

I would say don't watch too much videos, you'd better do it yourself with your wheel :)
    But I can agree on that fact : when you don't understand what you see on track, look in the videos

TCLF likes this.
  20. TCLF

TCLF Alien

indeed, only look two or three times at the video before you do it yourself, it helps you understand it way better what happens in the video. After that a tep is recording it yourself and put the video side- by side so you can see teh differences

panda likes this.
  21. iVG

iVG Alien

Whoever said 'there is nothing wrong with your driving' is plain wrong. What is not wrong with your driving...
    1) don't mess with setups until you are at least 105% of the WR
    2) take all assists off including racing line.
    3) don't take your foot off the throttle in cars with sequential gearboxes.
    4) load a track/car combo and drive the hell out of it.
    5) try and hit every apex/exit on every corner even if that means you have to be slower than usual. With time, you will start getting up to speed as you start feeling the car can take the corner faster and brake later. But always try and hit apex/exits.
    6) take advice from people who are actually good at this.
    7) see 6)
    8) see 7)

Matty28 likes this.