1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Question to stefano casillo about transmission damages

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by neel, Oct 19, 2014.

1. neel

neel Racer

Hello Stefano,

I enjoyed a lot your recent interview with Andreas Nie from ISR, and where you talked a bit about the damage simulation you have implemented in AC about the gearbox.

Today one question is heating up the community I race with, and I really would appreciate if you could go deeper in explaining what transmission damages are simulated by AC.

The question is (are) the following:

- does simple heal & toe (simple gaz pedal hit at downshifting) prevents damages in AC versus no gaz pedal hit at all ?

- digging further the above question, does complex heal & toe (double clutching -> declutch - shift to neutral - clutch & gaz pedal hit - declutch & downshift - clutch) allows further preventing transmission / engine / gearbox damages in AC ?

From what we have seen so far, simple heal & toe does not seem to help preventing damages. Or seen the opposite way: you can be as fast without doing any gaz pedal hit at downshifting and this without suffering more damages a heal & toe (simple) driver will get too. I'm talking about players with good level, capable of nearing the top of RSR leaderboards.

I would have expected simple heal & toe to already provide a slight advantage over a long race but it doesn't seem to. Also I would try to learn the more complex double clutching method but I'm not encouraged to do the learning effort when I see the gaz pedal hit at downshifting already doesn't seem to give an advantage damages-wise (and I'm about as fast with the gaz pedal hit now, so we cannot say a performance loss here would compensate an eventual damage benefit, it just does seem there is no benefit damages-wise from hitting the gaz pedal when downshifitng in AC).

What is your opinion on this Stefano ? Could you please go deeper in what is simulated in assetto corsa regarding transmission damages ?

Thank you by advance !

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Questions for upcoming Stefano live stream session Jun 4, 2016
    ACC General Discussions Small question about time multiplier / offline Tuesday at 2:51 PM
    ACC General Discussions Assetto Corsa Competizone Logo Use Question Oct 10, 2023
    Chit Chat Room 3 questions Oct 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Very Stupid question Sep 23, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Questionable ACC Server Reliability Aug 13, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen and gsync question Jun 24, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Question regarding legality of organizing paid-entry races and offering cash prizes in Assetto Corsa Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Straightforward question about server creation Apr 15, 2023
    ACC Physics Question about MoTeC channel "ROTY" Apr 7, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Setting Question with Trackir Mar 19, 2023
    Sounds modding QUESTION FOR HORN ABOUT FMOD SOFTWARE Nov 7, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Thrustmaster TS-XW Steer Lock question Sep 25, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting two questions in one Sep 16, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room License request question Sep 15, 2022

3. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

How can you be as fast without revmatching? In the Lotus 49, if I screw up the heel and toe I almost always lose the rear and spin out.

4. neel

neel Racer

You just adapt your driving style, waiting lower revs to downshift so you don't get grip loss due to engine-brake effect, preventing the need for hitting the gaz pedal.
    In my league a guy was able to win our lotus 97t races without doing heal & toe.
    Now as you cannot always wait revs to get low to downshift, and need to downshift at high revs on some fast curves entry, I expected hitting the gaz pedal would give a slight advantage there in term of transmission damages. But it doesn't seem to, and you can do without it, be amongst the fastest, and not get more transmission damages than people doing a gaz pedal hit evertime they downshift.

So I wonder if this is me overestimating the benefit of this gaz pedal hit (= underestimating clutch resistance), or if this is just the simulation engine not going as deep as this regarding transmission damages simulation.

5. Gunja

Gunja Alien

It's not hitting the gas that prevents damage, it's pressing the clutch that's important. Heal and toe doesn't damage transmission if you use the clutch correct.

6. matjas92

matjas92 Simracer

I hope you don't mind that I add a little question to this topic, but I was just also wondering myself something about transmission damages.

I heard/read that transmission damages were simulated so that when you screw up a certain gear, after a certain time doing this, that gear might give up, so you have to skip a gear (2 -> 4th for example).

So I started trying to shift without clutch into 3rd all the time and saw the transmission getting, yellow, orange without a real noticable perfomance loss. However once it turned red, not a single gear was accesible anymore ?

Now i'm wondering whether this is an error in the damage model, if it's as designed or if I'm missing something.

Again sorry for 'hijacking' your topic, but since it's about the same subject it could do no harm i guess :)

7. neel

neel Racer

@Gunja I'm not saying heal and toe damages the transmission but that not doing it at all doesn't damage it more than doing it properly (IOW, h&t doesn't help at all preventing from damages).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  8. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

Last night I downshifted from 4th to 1st in a abarth and the transmission went red and dead - pretty accurate to me.
    Just after AC-RC was released I was driving a lotus elise sc. I was upshifting just like you say - without releasing the accelerator - and yes the transmission became slightly damaged. :) I didn't get to the phase that it was red but IRL I can say that a car with broken manual transmission just omits the most damaged gear to the point that almost every time you try to select that damaged gear it cannot engage it, while other gears work.
    So maybe you just hit that sweet spot when the transmission is still operational but will miss 2 out of 10, for example.

ProChook likes this.
  9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Shifting without proper clutch operation or rev matching seems to cause gearbox damage, in gear over revving seems to cause engine damage.

Before the transmission fails completely engaging certain gears becomes harder, it's a nice touch I think.

10. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

Did you experienced such a thing?

11. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

depends on the nature of the damage, a tooth could have come away and be loose around the box, you could get lucky and that bit stays out of the way or it could find it's way inbetween some other cogs which could result in the entire box exploding into bits

I've had two teeth being stripped in my box, luckily I was a low speed and pulled over immediately so nothing else damaged, if it had happened at motorways speeds they'd have been a few more pieces to replace

12. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

Well omitting gears is the most common problem.
    Glad you were OK and not at high speed.

13. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

Blip/rev match doesnt prevent damage in the long run.

What prevents damage is the use of the clutch. You can shift without using it only bliping on downshifts without taking damage, but it must be spot on, otherwise it will slowly wear the gearbox.

Just won a 312T race where the leader´s gearbox gave up in 20min, he was left foot bracking and bliping. I h&t all the way and finished with no damage at all after 60min.

14. baboon

baboon Alien

Good to know it's possible! I tried to downshift without clutch but I got the grinding sound and damage popup every single time and then soon gave up on it.

I also did an 60 mins race lately but in a car with a syncromesh gearbox. It was no problem to flatshift and downshift without revmatching all the way. In reality I think the syncro-rings would have given up at some point but I have no idea if that would be within only 1 hour of racing.

15. jamba

jamba Racer

@Hany you are dead man now! :D

16. Hany

Hany Alien

Before 1.0rc I was using the clutch only for upshift and just blipping when downshifting. Now I use clutch in upshifs and downshifts. Clutch less downshifting is still possible but u need to hit the perfect spot every single time. the best car to test this out is with the cobra. After 4 misshifts your gearbox will be gone. Atm the lotus 98t, ferrari t312 and the alfa romeo don't suffer damage from clutch less downshifting.

To fully avoid gearbox damage u need to use the clutch in up and downshifting.

f1webberfan likes this.