1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Motion blur auto photography for ac

Discussion in 'Screens & Videos' started by eSEA One, Jan 8, 2015.

1. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

The one thing that I notice here with a lot of images (not all) that the cars look static, no motion blurred wheels and backgrounds! (I am not going to point these images out , don't want to offend anyone) the cars look like they are parked when they are really going at speed. This really bugs me. Some folks get the wheel spin in the image but lack the motion blurred background, this I see a lot and kind of has a bit of a disconnect . Dont get me wrong there are some who do have both and these definitely have the realism look.
    IRL Cars go fast, cameras can shoot really fast but a good a photographer will not use fast shutter speeds, they will shoot at relatively slow speeds, with panning the camera to capture the speed thus the background and wheels are in motion blur. (like these below, not saying that I am a good photographer but this effect is what I am trying to achieve)
    DSC_0191.jpg DSC_0175.jpg DSC_0187.jpg DSC_0089.jpg

It is all too easy to use a fast shutter speed to get the shot but the result is a static looking image. Like this
    DSC_0003.jpg and this DSC_0052.jpg a slight bit of wheel motion here DSC_0117.jpg but still looking a bit static.
    Now I have not really got into exploring AC photomode much yet but from what I gather it would seem to me that this motion blur is not so easy to achieve. I will look into this and explore the possibilities;
    Anyone in the knowhow feel free to give the AC photographers your advice.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Go in Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and open the assetto_corsa.ini

Set ALLOW_FREE_CAMERA to 1.

Now open the camera_onboard_free.ini

Replace the code with that one:
    [CAMERA_SETTINGS]
    ROTATION_SPEED=0.1
    ESC_DOF_FACTOR=1
    MOUSE_LOOK_SPEED=.02
    MOVE_SPEED=1
    MIN_MULT=0.1
    MAX_MULT=3
    FOV=35
    EXPOSURE=35
    MOVEMENT_DELAY=0.2
    SPHERICAL_COORDS=0

Go in AC, turn on Motion blur, drive the car around, go to the replay and now press F5. Now you can position the camera with W, A, S and D as you want to and the background should be blurred.
    _______________________________________________________________________________

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. WardogZ

WardogZ Racer

I expect it's due to the fact that motion blur causes quite a substantial frame drop when used, and some of us ( well I do) forget to put it 'on' during replays for screenshots, i'm only guessing here, i'll try a few meself with motion blur on. ;)

D.Jankovic likes this.
  3. demonized

demonized Simracer

Like this?

244210_screenshots_2014-10-25_00003.jpg

WardogZ and eSEA One like this.
  4. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

5. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

Yeah! that could be an issue if just doing a screen capture when you do not have motion blur on! but not if you are doing a replay surely that is not a problem . If there was a shutter speed for camera options that could be pre set for in game screen capture motion blur would not needed t unless the ingame camera doesn't work that way.
    Hate to bring it up here but Forza 4 has a great camera function that did wonders to the imagery that hid the last generation game realism! Some of my Forza 4 camera work:
    FM4_TCS1 R4 R2 06.jpg CRA SAR28.jpg CRA SAR36.jpg CA SAR7.jpg

John Lennonjohto likes this.
  6. Iain L

Iain L Rookie

Forza 4's camera mode is excellent in general, and has much to teach Kunos I suspect in terms of both ease of use and additional controls we don't have here.

But yes, for the example at hand, it has full control over how much motion blur you want in a shot; so far I've not even figured out how to turn AC's blur on in photo mode at all (I leave it off during racing for both performance and I think it looks better off). But then, part of the complexity with implementing motion blur for photo mode is what object you want the camera tracking - either one of the cars in frame, the track or some compromise between them.

John Lennonjohto likes this.
  7. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

In Photography motion blur is achieved through:
    • Slow shutter speed (longer exposure but this can lead to overexposure in bright environments)
    • Aperture - High f/stop numbers, large number = small aperture = less light, this compensates the overexposure. However this can make a big depth of field- more in focus, so the far background can be in sharp focus and this might not be what you want lower f/stop's create a shallow depth of field (DOF) but let in more light
    • Low ISO (sensitivity) numbers (this is another option that counters the overexposure that you might need if using a shallow DOF)
    • Panning - moving the camera with the car (subject) this keeps the car in focus
    @AC Support Can we apply these principles to the AC camera with what you have coded?

Iain L likes this.
  8. Iain L

Iain L Rookie

Oh, proper DSLR-style manual controls would be just perfect. I don't know what the graphics engine can offer there, of course.

9. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Gran Turismo is great for photography. It would be cool for such features.

Of course I understand such features aren't the top priority in AC though

10. BATINA74

BATINA74 Racer

Motion blur set on 8
    I tried with panning style - moving the camera with the car (subject) this keeps the car in focus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

What you mean you tried with panning style?? You mean positioning the camera from the side as it was a panning shot??

12. vfdesignz

vfdesignz Hardcore Simmer

When the car drives around, you try to follow it with your cam / DSLR, with a slower shutter speed and / or higher Aperture. You have to follow the car near perfectly, that the car is right in focus, and sharp, but the background is "motion" blurred.

That's called panning.

eSEA One likes this.
  13. Iain L

Iain L Rookie

That's great - I've just been trying to work around the problem with shallow focus:
    [​IMG]

14. eSEA One

eSEA One Hardcore Simmer

Looking good here but for some reason the rim of the wheel is not spinning but the tyres are, could be the sin you are using is missing the rim blur

15. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

I know what panning is :p
    I've done a few shots using that technic. I was interested in it's use of such technic in AC

16. vfdesignz

vfdesignz Hardcore Simmer

It's possible, sort of. You have to active the free cam in AC.

Go in Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and open the assetto_corsa.ini

Set ALLOW_FREE_CAMERA to 1.

Now open the camera_onboard_free.ini

Replace the code with that one:
    [CAMERA_SETTINGS]
    ROTATION_SPEED=0.1
    ESC_DOF_FACTOR=1
    MOUSE_LOOK_SPEED=.02
    MOVE_SPEED=1
    MIN_MULT=0.1
    MAX_MULT=3
    FOV=35
    EXPOSURE=35
    MOVEMENT_DELAY=0.2
    SPHERICAL_COORDS=0

Go in AC, turn on Motion blur, drive the car around, go to the replay and now press F5. Now you can position the camera with W, A, S and D as you want to and the background should be blurred.

eSEA One, Iain L and Vítor Sousa like this.
  17. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Thanks. Will give that a try :)

18. Iain L

Iain L Rookie

Thanks for the ALLOW_FREE_CAMERA tip. Re: rims and wheels spinning independently, it seems that's one of Photo Mode's many bugs - it's pretty random as to whether or not I get stationary rims; as you can see in that shot above of mine it worked that time.

19. Akis Kev

Akis Kev Alien

Dajonaga, eSEA One and BATINA74 like this.
  20. BATINA74

BATINA74 Racer

photo mode shot and catch with mouse:D
    [​IMG]

ingame ac camera
    [​IMG]

Dajonaga, Akis Kev and eSEA One like this.