1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Visual damage vs. mechanical damage?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Xamantu, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Xamantu

Xamantu Rookie

Is it possible to have only visual damage turned on? I couldn't find out how to do that without turning the mechanical damage on.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Visual damage windshield problem in VR Apr 4, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars 0.7 Visual Damage Effects Apr 3, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Visual damage Mar 14, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Hardcore racing expirience(visual and mechanical damage) POLL Mar 9, 2018
    ACC General Discussions More abusive damage system (not visual) Mar 2, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Is there a way to disable visual damage in replay? Nov 4, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Evora S2 no visual damages Apr 17, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Turn visual damage off? Oct 27, 2014
    Physics Bugs & Issues Visuals physics damages, it is for a futur update? May 10, 2014
    ACC User Interface Multiclass visual differentiation missing? Sunday at 10:45 PM
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Breve domanda riguardo visuale ps4 Oct 10, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Tire rotation visuals at slow speeds be like Jul 17, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Rain spray visuals Mar 14, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Visual Problem at Indy Jul 19, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Can't launch AC: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic,... Jul 8, 2022

3. Quffy

Quffy Alien

No, visual and mechanical are linked. You can just play with lower % mechanical or off.

4. martcerv

martcerv Alien

In most cars I find they arent linked as full aero damage has no effect other then a visual effect. :D Only a few open wheel cars seem to have physical aero damage.

5. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Which cars?

6. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Just about every official car other then the open wheelers front and rear aero red has no effect with 100% damage. The only damage that has an effect is engine gearbox and suspension in all cars and these things have no real visual damage. ;)

7. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

I have experienced having top speed impacted via body damage. It was significant enough that I went from being competitive with the top cars in a single make race to not being able to keep up in the long straights such as Monza or Spa.

Dream1979 and myimac like this.
  8. dauntless

dauntless Alien

That's not possible really. As far as we know there are 4 kinds of physical damage in ac now:
    - tire flatspots
    - bent suspension
    - engine damage
    - gearbox damage

Out of those you need very heavy engine damage before you lose power I think. Yellow engine still gives 100% power for example I think. Tire flatspots and gearbox damage don't affect speed. Only thing that can affect speed is bent suspension. If you get more or less toe-in because your suspension is bent then that will slow you down on the straights. Or your suspension is just so broken that you need to take the corners leading to the straightaways slower which makes you reach slower speeds on the straights.

Bodywork can be created and configured in such way that different parts become loose in different kinds of impacts. Look at damage.ini. However there is nowhere to define how that bodywork damage affects speed. There are no files where you can define drag, tire rub or other effects like that.

9. Stereo

Stereo Alien

It's in aero.ini (see formula_k for 'zone_front_cl' etc.), haven't observed it functioning though.

10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

In the formula Abarth aero damage slows the car down quite a bit. I havemt found any gt car or street car have any effect from body damage yet.

The exos with any aero damage is pretty much undriveable due to how it effects car aero balance.

11. Bailey

Bailey Alien

There is also bodywork damage. Just like martcerv and others, I have also noticed the lack of speed and grip when I have damage in the Formula Arbarth.
    From testing with the lotus 98t I have noticed that engine power does not fluctuate at all when damaged. In the CarStats app there is an entry called ELIFE or something, and it basically displays your engines "hit points". Once that goes to zero your engine is kaput (broken).

~Bailey

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  12. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

My comments above were in regard to the Formula Abarth. I was doing tuning work trying to increase top speed at Spa so I was paying attention to top end speed. I noticed when I received body damage coming through the scrum at the start that my top speed at the end of the long straight was 135 mph. When I came through clean with the same set up I was getting 141 mph. It's a significant difference in speed as I was able to keep up with top cars on the straight at 141 mph but was losing ground and getting passed at 135 mph.

13. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

I played yesterday a MP session on Nords and every time I went off track with the C7R without crashing into a guard rail, just hitting the kerbs really hard with the bottom of the car and 2 wheels on the grass, the car would take damage and the top speed would be lower.

Also about visual damage and mechanical damage, well I have 2 questions: how come RSR lists them as separate if they are linked? And if they are not, how can I put visual damage OFF, but keep mechanical damage ON?

These are my settings:
    2.jpg

And I see a lot of people having visual damage OFF:
    1.jpg

I'm confused. :confused:

14. Quffy

Quffy Alien

PAKFA likes this.
  15. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I did a quick search about how to disable the cracked windscreen and found a line I was supposed to change but I didnt have it. :/
    Have they changed it or was the info I found wrong? What is it that is supposed to be changed?

Sorry offtopic

16. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Alright, but how the heck do I change it? How the other guys have it OFF while I have it ON?

Try this mod, it also tells you what to edit > http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/a-broken-glass.4783/

kofotsjanne likes this.
  17. sherpa25

sherpa25 Hardcore Simmer

How to I view damage in a car, say after spinning then hitting a wall? I couldn't find an app to show this, and just notice it later when the car doesn't reach top speeds (ex. FW31). Thanks.

18. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Older builds had visual damage maybe thise laps are older or somewhere in the data rsr reads its getting the old setting which no longer exists. RSR also reads temps wrong as they are fixed in mp to 26/32 but if in an online session rsr reads the sp setting which isnt what the actual lap was set at.

PAKFA likes this.
  19. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

To turn glass damage off:
    assettocorsa/system/config/assetto_corsa.ini
    [DAMAGE]
    Set GLASS_THRESHOLD to 0.99

Also, I'm glad the old rear wing damage with the questionable damage parameters and bad lod changes has been removed :D

20. brioche

brioche Racer

Aero damage seems to be there at least for GT2. In my experience front/rear damage can affect speed/fast cornering quite a bit and I am normally forced to pit when such damage occurs in online mp races.
    Of course how much also depends on the track itself.

The damage screen should appear on its own when you damage the car (even if you flat spot).
    To see the damage manually try CTRL+J (or CTRL+D). However a friend of mine with three monitors doesn't see the damage OSD since one of the last versions.
    Also on many on-line servers damage is disabled so you will not see any damage.

21. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

CTRL+Q to toggle damage overlay. Maybe it's not implemented for this mod?