1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Am i at a huge disadvantage with my fov?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Conure, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Conure

Conure Rookie

Hey all, the FOV calculator tells me to have an FOV of 26 degrees on me 24" screen, and the default in game seems to be 58. If I take it lower than about 38 I feel like I'm playing the game in tunnel vision. Mathematics aside, in practical terms is 40 degrees likely to disadvantage me?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting changed screens , now I have huge Game Stuttering Jun 18, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Huge performance difference when shifting window focus Nov 25, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting view settings huge bug Jun 20, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Xbox Series X: Huge FPS drops after Patch 1.7 May 1, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Fps huge drop in last lap Apr 24, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Huge disappointment Jan 23, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions HUGE DISCOVERY for the T500rs Aug 8, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards CP rating huge drop Jun 4, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Savegame files are huge and loading takes ages Mar 24, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Huge FPS Impact w/ PP Filter ON Nov 15, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality Finally a huge performance boost in VR! Oct 14, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Huge performance issues since 1.09/1.0.10 Sep 30, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Huge savegames file. Sep 2, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Huge lags with RTX2070 Apr 17, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting Huge FPS drops and CPU usage warning Apr 4, 2019

3. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Don't bother with that calculator, use whatever FOV you feel most comfortable with;) I am using 60FOV on my single 24' screen since day one in the AC and don't feel the need to change it.
    *I will use realistic FOV when I will get realistic vision, that will be OR or some huge *** curved projector

Kyo and alex72 like this.
  4. DarkPhantom

DarkPhantom Gamer

I've got a 24" and I play about 54 FOV

5. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

I got a 27inch and i play at 70 FOV, dont ask im not a hardcore i drive for fun. I understand its not practical but i like to see the cockpit.

6. Cefa

Cefa Hardcore Simmer

try from 50 to 65, I use 58

7. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

it makes you more precies/accurate, becasue distance of things is more realistc, more what you are used to,
    only downside is seeing less of things around you, which might be problem when racing oppnonents , especially MP

I have 24" and my FOV is 36, even though it should be slightly less then that

8. alex72

alex72 Alien

What everyone said above. Get the FOV that you are comfortable with. Higher FOV you see more and get better speed feeling (depending on single or triple screens), and with lower FOV you see less around you making it feel slower, but you see your brake points much much easier.

Changing FOV back and forth will damage your times, so try and find something in between. The best with triple screens is that you can have that good low FOV to get more of a "window" into the sim world (real life sizes of the objects/track) and at the same time get the speed feeling from the side monitors where the track zooms by really fast. So with a single monitor try to be somewhere in between, or any FOV that feels good to you.

Cant wait for OR CV... Im trying to hold out on getting triple screens as i rather be inside the cars.

irfan.pratama likes this.
  9. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I think in a real car, in your peripheral view you can see most of the cockpit and the front edge lines of the hood, as well as part or whole of the left side mirror. If you have one monitor and you put too low fov, you won't see the amount you'd see with triple screen, oculus rift, or real car. The speed sensation and lateral/peripheral view gets really limited with too low fov. If you have a single monitor, try between 60-70.

10. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Move your screen closer.

xyr, Deatroy, victor86 and 2 others like this.
  11. Conure

Conure Rookie

I have - it's touching the back of my g27 :D

victor86, Mogster and Kristaps like this.
  12. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

This is how it should be

gheeDi, tkrisz2, jc1993 and 4 others like this.
  13. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@Conure , There is a lot of rewards to use an FOV that is as close as the calculated FOV is when your screen is as close as it can be, like you already have.
    It will give you a more realistic experience of driving with the perspective and distance being easier to deal with.
    All that as long as you still enjoy yourself, but it is really worst the efforts and most likely you will not be able to go back to distorted point of view after that.
    Your challenge ,as I see it, is that your screen is really small, 24 inch, I mean driving trough a 24 inch window/windshield is a challenge no matter what, it only gives a choice of very limited in peripheral or very distorted, none are great alternative.
    A 32 inch, would open your SIM world to new horizons and let you have your cake and eat it too.
    Seeing the all cockpit is not conductive of immersion, don't waste time with that, look at it in the show room or replay.
    When driving, all that matters is how late should you brake, how tall is that kerb and how far is the car in front of you. With calculated FOV everything is one to one scale, just like IRL, much easier to deal with and much more rewarding and immersive.

14. Blame

Blame Alien

I use 50, perfectly normal and fine.

15. Kyo

Kyo Racer

Unless you have a very large monitor or triple screen setup I dont think its practical to use the correct FOV. I have my FOV set as low as I can while keeping at least half of the rear view mirror visible so I can see people coming up behind me.

fazerbox likes this.
  16. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

Yup, I was there. 24 inches, 27 FOV. Quite hard to readjust at first, but now I know I'll never get back to higher fov. Just give it some time and then judge by yourself what's better. IMHO it made a difference between a game and a sim, but that's me.

17. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Me with a 20" screen and 70fov doesn't feel like a game. I recently turned it up, before was using default 56. Now I have better perception of the car and the track. If you have one single screen and using 27 fov, that'd be like only using the middle monitor of a triple screen setup. You cut your view. The speed sensation is better this way, with my high (real for me) fov. Because I get to see the side scenery passing by, like it would in your peripheral view when driving a car. The fov of oculus rift (in AC) is also around 60 or 70.

18. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

But in OR you have display like "in your face" distance, init.
    Yes, I cutted my view, that's a compromise.
    Triples are cutted too, IRL you have even wider peripheral vision. Anyway, what's ahead of me lay in my interest mostly, I don't want to have my focus (or whatever) and peripheral vision all crammed together in front of me, that is surreal, not real.
    And I have my sense of speed too, from going fast in believeable, naturally looking representation of a track.

You won't make me come back to ridge racer, ever.

not_him_59 likes this.
  19. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Yep, options :)

20. witoldinho

witoldinho Racer

Yes, like I said: "give it some time and then judge by yourself".
    For a moment I thought you were to point to me that my preferred PoV is all cutted, no-thrilling etc. Glad we agree.

21. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

some prefer it one way, other is different way
    I don't really do much racing or MP, so I don't need to see what's around me, and if I need, I can use vitrual mirror
    but I will never go back to bigger FOV's, it looks so wrong , stretched weird , once you are used to more normal setup.

20 inch screen with 70 fov must be very interesting indeed

anyhow, can't wait for some VR device ( be it Rift or something else) , then I will have more peripharal vision, but again it will be real life scale and that makes the biggest difference when driving