1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Your jaw-dropping moments in race-gaming history?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by OoALEJOoO, May 30, 2015.

1. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

I've counted 5 such instances in my personal PC racing record:

1989 - Test Drive
    I was aged 9 back then and saw this game on the computer of a teacher my mother used to take my for tuition. The game impressed me to such degree that I actually behaved during the class so that the teacher would let me play for 10 minutes at the end!!

TD1-1989.png

1992 Test Drive 3
    At this point, in my mind Test Drive was synonymous with greatness. I was blown again 3 years later with Test Drive 3. Just looking at the 256-color VGA pictures of the car made my mouth water, and playing the game in polygon graphics was as impressive as it gets.

TD3-1992.png

1996 The Need For Speed
    The first game from the franchise was the first title I got on CD-ROM. In my mind no other game to-date has captured the professionalism of the presentation. The car showcases were amazing, the handling was miles ahead of any other sport-car racing game of the time as well as the graphics. Hard to believe that this game hooked me for years and only had 8 cars and 7 tracks!

TNFS1-1996.png

2005 - Colin McRae 2005
    A full nine years passed before I got amazed by another racing game. Perhaps if I had played Colin McRae 3 or 4 before it wouldn't have caused such a great impression, but since 2005 was the first one I played, it blew my socks away. This is the first title that I actually watched full replays after a race. Driving a Lancia Stratos in Alitalia livery...pure greatness.

CMR2005-2005.png

2013 - Assetto Corsa
    Another 8 years passed before a game came along that teleported me back in time and made me feel again that 9-year old boy staring at a 12" screen with Test Drive. I know it sounds cheesy, but after having my first situp with AC, I had the same feeling. I guess you can say that AC is not only a racing simulator but also a time machine!! Thanks Kunos for making this happen!!

AC-2013.png

What games have impressed you over the years?

flyingpig, nijeat, Mike1304 and 7 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Highlights v0.1: Log interesting moments in race by pressing a hotkey Sep 3, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Black screen in random moments Apr 9, 2016
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Lan server shuts down after a few moments Mar 15, 2015
    Screens & Videos Assetto corsa funny moments Nov 26, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Assetto corsa crashing at random moments. Nov 9, 2014
    Chit Chat Room The important moments after the race … a feature request Oct 18, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Look back makes screen go darker for a few moments Apr 11, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Low FPS at the first moments of the game Nov 11, 2013

3. hooligan|uk

hooligan|uk Simracer

The 2 games that give me that WOW! feeling was Sega Rally and F355 challange,played em both first down the arcade at southend sea-front.The amount of 50p's I put in them machines would have bought me one,I played em that much.

Gotta edit how could I forget stunt car racer and geoff crammond F1 on the old atari ST.So thats 4 games that give me that WOW moment

Aww them were the days:
    355 challenge
    [​IMG]

Rally:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    DrSmile and nijeat like this.
  4. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Really great post , thank you.

My story starts really late when i was able to buy my 1st pc (i was 22) , with this gpu http://www.anandtech.com/show/307
    [​IMG]

and my race gaming story has the following milestones :

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_1_Rally_Championship
    [​IMG]

The moment the game loaded, i had my jaw dropping moment . The graphics were unreal and so was the game and the physics. I liked it so much that i am still playing it!!!

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbike_2001
    [​IMG]

I am still unable to find the bike game that will outperform this awesome game. I loaded Donington and the immersion was excellent. I was playing it with a joystick (can't remember the model).

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Burns_Rally

Nothing to say here, the physics was a jaw dropping moment for me. Still have it installed.

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTR_2_–_FIA_GT_Racing_Game

[​IMG]

Unreal game for it's time.

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT_Legends

[​IMG]
    Even better that GTR2

6. https://www.lfs.net/

[​IMG]
    I was watching the flexing of tyres for hours.
    6. http://www.netkar-pro.com/main/
    I had just bought my 1st wheel
    [​IMG]
    and the timing was just right.
    I loaded this beast at Trento[​IMG]

and the jaw dropping moment has never really gone away.

7. The new moment is really expected. I knew that KUNOS was making a new game with a very strange name.
    After playing netkar pro i knew it would be great. I never thought to be as great in reality.
    The moment i tried the technology preview demo with that little Lotus, i knew that the game would be epic.
    [​IMG]

8. Ferrarri F40 @ Assetto Corsa.

I have to mention this separately. The shock is still vivid in my brain. I will never thank KUNOS enough for this jaw-dropping event is my life. This is the BEST car ever presented in any sim, period.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  5. For me it was TOCA race driver 2 and then 3. If I played them now I would probably think they were rubbish but at the time I would have been about 7 or 8, the graphics were brilliant and the game had lots of different cars and tracks.
    [​IMG]

Then I got really interested in project cars after owning forza 3 and wanting to get back into a racing game.(And I also played simraceway for a while, bad choice). Pcars looked really good and I saw Asetto corsa was on sale so I bought and really enjoyed using only keyboard and mouse on the game for a while. I then bought my DFGT of ebay and have been enjoying the game for a year and half now.
    [​IMG]

6. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

hmm.

1. Gran turismo 3- my first racing game

Gran turismo 3 has a special place in my heart, i dont know what it was about it and that super speed way but ive clocked easily 1000 hours on the super speed way with the various super gt cars. It also spawned the gaming rivalry between me and my brother. Id use the corvette c5 race car(not sure what its homogenization was) and my brother would use the dodge viper race car. It was all out war. it was a shame that i didnt actually realize there was a campaign until long after i was into granturismo 4.

2. Need for speed porsche gba version- the game which made me realise porsche is my favourite manufacture and well i still think in the same way.

There were two games on my gameboy that i actually bothered to get into, first was pokemon emerald which is and always will be my favourite game, assetto corsa comes dangerously close but there is something about pokemon emerald which i cant explain. Back on topic the second game was nfs porsche(while i kinda hate it now because it spawned a horrid contract) which in all seriousness on the gba was crap but i played it a lot. I remember when i found a glitch in the game, if you use the porsche 935/78 in manual then it would accelerate insanely fast. There is also a memory which is recorded on tape, 2003 new years as the parents and family were counting down into 2004 i was screaming my head off because i had just unlocked the porsche 911 gt1 which was the final car in the game.

3. Burnout 3 takedown- Carnage, just carnage

Burnout 3 blew my mind when it came out, damage was a weird thing in my head and points and big numbers were things i liked in my primitive 9 year old brain, anyways burnout 3 with its takedown system was a great passtime for me, i pop the cd in to play it on my pc everynow and then, it has aged very well.

4. granturismo 4- The addiction

Granturismo 4 to me is legendary, a royal masterpiece, at least it was for me at the time, i still respect it. Like many people it helped me realise that i loved japanese cars. I cant really put it into words, the game was just that great. Its a shame that gt5 was a let down, not sure about gt6 and i doubt ill ever get to play gt7.

5. Assetto corsa- The revival

Needless to say Assetto corsa is outstanding. There was a massive gap between GT4 and AC where i couldnt find a racing game that made me feel fuzzy inside so around 2009 i stopped with racing games altogether migrating into fps. Back in 2012 i believe i moved to pc and around 2013 i think AC came onto steam in early access. I didnt have the money at the time so i ignored it. Some time in 2014 in spring around my birthday in april it was reduced to £14 so i brought it. I was still stuck in a GT4 mind set at the time, kunos fooled me into thinking it was a AAA tier game so i gasped in horror when i saw the smaller selection of cars. I didnt have a wheel at the time either so after an hour or so i ditched it. A while later the sls amg update came and well while i hate the car i love it because that car is the reason i play AC, i didnt like the car but because of that update i though maybe i should give the game another chance. I put in around 10 hours at this point and i kind of liked it, i "borrowed" a ps3 controller from my brother and well i couldnt navigate the menu with the controller which is another lynch pin because as a result of that i discovered the forum. Now the final string that got me hooked was actually because of @mclarenf1papa and @chargingcar oddly enough, see i was tinkering around Race 07 and noticed there were mods for that i searched around the place and accidentally came across an article about mclarenf1papa making the decision to go to AC, it was in some thread about modding differences between rfactor 2 and AC. Now the second i saw this things changed. Its an odd combination of stuff which got me to get into AC but that is the beauty of it, its rare to have this moment in gaming and its enjoyed. Also thanks mclarenf1papa and chargingcar, you guys are the reason i enjoy this game so much.

http://www.isrtv.com/assetto-corsa/mod-wars-assetto-corsa-vs-rfactor-2/

above is the article i was rambling about at the end.

snyperal and mclarenf1papa like this.
  7. tabis

tabis Simracer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] with the FIA GT MOD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mantasisg 2 and Mike1304 like this.
  8. 1karl1

1karl1 Simracer

Gran Turismo 1 which a had on release day was the first time i felt like video games were travelling towards realism . Never before or since has starting & stopping a Demio got me going so much ;) . Colin Mcrae & Toca games that were released on both PS1 & 2 were awesome at the time also but they were a mere distraction from GT & it's sequels which i continued to play right up until about 18 months ago when i tried out a few PC sims which although looked great in videos i'd watched once they were in front of me on my PC i felt more like i was in UI hell than any kind of fun experience so i swerved them until i heard about AC & got to try it & still here after 504 hours .

9. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Hardcore Simmer

[​IMG]
    I miss you...

mistery, DrSmile, Jos_theboss and 2 others like this.
  10. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Racer

First game i played was Test Drive 1. boy, they sure run that franchise into the ground. Unlimited 1&2 weren't that bad, just unloved by the dev.
    [​IMG]
    I actually first played this on 3DO! the only difference is your opponent was presented with short videos of him trash-talking you at the end of each race.

11. plaid

plaid Alien

Simply fun playing it with friends in splitscreen, as we were younger...
    [​IMG]

Goin fast, in a great designed game with a pumping soundtrack:
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, well, thats it.

Edit: Wow!
    I just found out that ISI, the makers of RFactor 2 made this, which I enjoyed as its release:
    [​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Raiders

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  12. LeiF

LeiF Alien

13. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

1. Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 started it all for me, initially driving with the keyboard and all the driving aids on. Enjoyed it so much I bought a steering wheel and pedals and driving with all the aids turned off was the first really wow moment.

2. Grand Prix Legends was such a step forward in physics and difficulty 1998, driving the Nordschleife was the next jaw dropping moment. We'd never seen a track of that complexity in sim racing before, seems hard to imagine that now. Having been away from sim racing since late 1998 through to 2014 due to real life, another wow moment was getting GPL to run on my 3ds Max workstation with triple screens, and the Targa Florio track... just stunning.

3. Looking at modern sims and finding that things hadn't really progressed much since the old days, jaw dropping in a bad way. I was expecting stunning physics, weather, day & night, dynamic track grip, animated surroundings and beautiful graphics, great damage models, great AI because that was the way sims seemed to be going when I had to stop. Instead there was rFactor1 which seemed to suit most other sim racers just fine but had none of those things :(. However it looked like there was good stuff coming in the shape of rF2, AC, Project Cars etc.

4. Assetto Corsa was the first new game to tempt me, great physics, nice graphics, great content but seriously lacking in some features and a very disappointing AI that is still not as good as the old Papyrus games. But the sheer enjoyment of driving the cars meant I'd fill them up with fuel and drive them till they ran dry, then fill them up and do it again :). Plus the laser scanned Nordschleife is a pretty big achievement in simracing IMO.

5. Nascar Racing 2003 Season is probably the only old game that I've since bought that has really impressed me, great fun, great AI, challenging..... who knew oval racing could be so much fun. I've bought and enjoyed Game Stock Car, Formula Truck, Richard Burns Rally, rF2 and GTR2 but none of them have had that extra special something that's kept me hooked.

6. The weather system and day / night cycle in Project Cars looks fantastic and very immersive (still not convinced the rest of the game is for me)... hopefully other sims will try to replicate this feature soon.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  14. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Hardcore Simmer

I know mate!!!But not the same feeling as the old one...rusty, bloody and pixellated.

LeiF and Jos_theboss like this.
  15. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

1992 Virtua Racing (Coin Op); This was probably one of the few titles I was "blown away" by simply because it was such a game changer. Gone were 2d sprites and (unshaded) polygons were used which is essentially what we still have today (albeit shaded + mapped).
    1998 Gran Turismo (PS1); Visually, it was unlike anything I had seen before on a home console. What really blew me away were the small details like seeing reflections on car bodywork, never seen that before in a game.

Other titles I was impressed by over the years;

1994 Grand Prix 2
    1995 Sega Rally (Coin OP)
    1995 Wipeout (PS1)
    2005 GT Legends
    2006 GTR2

16. Ricky Reject

Ricky Reject Hardcore Simmer

Commodore 64 - Test Drive
    Amiga - Indianapolis 500
    PC - Microprose GP2
    PC - Grand Prix Legends
    PC - Viper Racing
    PC - GTR, GTR2, GT Legends
    PC - Assetto Corsa

Extra credits to RBR and McCrae! Oh and Slipstream 5000 just for the sake of it :p

17. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

Whacky Wheels!!! This reminds me that while there were indeed some jaw-dropping games, there were others that while not impressive, they were mountain-loads of fun. I used to play the these games until my eyes bled:

1990 - Death Track
    Weapons and guns, you could call it a precursor to Interstate '76.

DeathTrack.png

1991 - Stunts
    Awesome cars, amazing jumps and (as the name suggests) stunts. The game had awful physics but I didn't care back then. The track editor just kept me coming for more...

Stunts.png

1995 - Whacky Wheels
    Played with my younger brother on split-screen. This was the first real fun I had in multi-player. Throwing a curve-ball shrew to hit your opponent behind a corner was priceless. Back then we only got the shareware floppy, the full game is now available in GOG.

Whackywheels.png

1998 - Interstate '76
    Car combat + Muscle cars + huge Afros, can't beat that. Too bad the version in GOG goes bananas with current fast CPUs.

I76.png

2000 - Sports Car GT
    This is the game that, by far far far, I've spent the most hours with. And it wasn't playing, but modding it. You'll make my day if anyone in this forum remembers trying out any of these:

http://www.racecarsim.com/rcs_page_tracks_alejo.htm

Cheers!!

Ricky Reject likes this.
  18. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

NFS2se (my first PC driving game, I was blown away by the graphics)
    Mobil 1 Rally Championship (best one in it's day, even better then CMR rally 1/2)
    Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (the best one from NFS series)
    Richard Burns rally (first proper rally sim)
    Live for Speed S2 (First truly proper sim, also the first one that got me in to the MP racing)
    Assetto Corsa (my current favorite)

19. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

for the old people :p, rac lombard rally.

20. MrGiggly

MrGiggly Racer

1985 -Racing destruction set. Endless hours of track building fun.

images.jpeg

Interstate 76 was awesome. Not a race game but deserves to be in here.

Need for speed 1

First time I saw a replay of gran turismo

RBR - wow i thought my arms would fall off.

GPL - initially so hard it made my head hurt until it finally clicked.

GT Legends - stonking car handling and wonderful cars.

21. youwerelucky

youwerelucky Racer

I learnt oval racing and Laguna Seca with this:

[​IMG]
    It was great for the time. When bored I used to stage a hell of an accident. I don't do it anymore... :)

cerebralvortex and leletto like this.