1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Confused a bit about the performance loss

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Skybird, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Currently there are several posts and threads in the Troubleshooting forum about people facing CPU warnings where before they apparently had not any warnings.

Staff sometimes said it is about dual core processors (apparently being too weak, if I udnerstood that correctly, or some multithreading thing or so). Or the whole thread often went fragmentised. I must admit I am now lost on what to think, have lost overview. I tried to get an idea of what is really known, or whether there is just one valid answers already, or several causes for this issue known, but honestly said: I am now confused and have no idea at all anymore.

Does anyone here know something real that goes beyond the dual core issue? I mean is there a confirmed issue with something happening in the shift from 1.3 to either 1.3.1, or from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2, that now these CPU warnings come up? Things were smoother with 1.3, than before 1.3. For me, I mean.

Forgive if that has been answered somewhere already, but I lost track in the Troubleshooting forum and now am confused. If there was an explanation of what has happened between 1.3.0 and 1.3.2, please tell me where it is, I have overlooked it then.

---

To recall the issue, I run a 4 core CPU (i5 2500K @3.3GHz) and Win7x64, so the dual core thing does not apply to me (specs in my sig).

From 1.0 to 1.2.5 I could run all Kunos default tracks with full car fields without getting CPU warnings and with smooth frames around 60. Most mod tracks were to be run with their full possible car fields, too. Some mod tracks needed a reduction.

With 1.3, default tracks stayed as smooth and free of problems, but those mod tracks were I needed to limit the car field, now allowed greater car fields, or even their maximums. 1.3 brought a performance BOOST, that means.

Now, with 1.3.2 currently, I am getting a DROP in performance to standards below that of pre-1.3 versions. On default Kunos tracks, I get CPU warnings with full car fields, especially at the start, and then occasionally later during the race. I do not think it is about smoke.

I briefly considered the old socalled 4GB-patch, but with an 64Bit executable that simply makes no sense. The patch is for 32Bit executables.

---

And while I am at it, I already asked that last year, but only got an unsatisfactory reply: why is it that AC does randomly occasionally reset its screen resolution to a new, random value? I have made it a habit since last year to always first check graphics options to see whether the setting still is at 1920/60Hz - every time I launch AC. It should not be necessary. Sometimes, it is 1280, 1024, or 640, or any HZ-setting. Why is that? I have meanwhile reinstalled my system once in between, like I do by orutine once a year. But it is like this with the new installation as well. Last year Aris told me I think another program would reset this, and I was left with a big quesiton mark, becasue honestly said that made little sense to me. I run no graphcis mods, no mods at all despite skins, tracks, and 3 or 4 car packs (that I never used sinc eI isntalled them...).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions MFD bindings confused Mar 1, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions GT4 confused Sep 19, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Confused AI during start of the race Sep 12, 2020
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Confused on track condition settings... Jul 27, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Confused Marshall at Brands Hatch Apr 21, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Confused by Blancpain Classes Apr 16, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI freezes/stops on track/gets confused & drives in circles when player pits during qualifying Nov 6, 2018
    Console Lounge Happy but confused ... Sep 12, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions PS4 Camber information very confused "Raising the value" Sep 1, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Low FPS Got me Confused Jun 6, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Confused.. Jun 23, 2015
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues [built-in apps/performance delta] confused by btg lap counting on nos touris Mar 16, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds I cannot run the game on 64-Bit Apr 18, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4-AC2 Game has crashed - Fatal error! [Resolved by changing audio bitrate] Nov 9, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Getting crash, when launching AC as 64bit. Nov 3, 2022

3. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

Didnt checked it out in Detail, but all I can say is, that the Performance is better with the 32bit Version for me. I have more Performance loss under 64bit the more AI cars are on track. For example with 14 Opponents the GPU is running at appr. 60-70% and under 32bit GPU is running @100%
    I have i7 4700HQ 4Core + Hyperthreading and running it on 2.8GHz

4. kingdomblues

kingdomblues Racer

EDIT

delete by myself to not confused more
    ;)

5. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Please do not deviate this thread, the threads in Troubleshooting forum already are confusing enough. That's why I started this one.

On 64Bit, I had performance boost with 64 Bit 1.3. And now a drop with 64 Bit 1.3.2 below 32Bit 1.2.5. In 1.3.1, did not much racing, more practicing and hotlapping, so I did not note whether it already happened in 1.3.1.

I also have not changed my computer or installation, which all is pretty conservative. Not tuning, no riva tuner or overclocking software installed or ever used. I would not even know out of the blue how to do it, I never cared for such things. Not general settings changed, no ingame options changed.

I mean it can very well be that 1.3 was "broken" and something in it did not work as intended (obviously, else there would not have come later patches) and therefore the performance for that non-functio9ning "feature" was not needed: a net gain in performance therefore, and later this feature was fixed in 1.3.1 or 1.3.2, worked, consumed the needed calculation power, and so the drop. I just would like to know whether it is this way, or whether the broken thing was not in 1.3, but came later with 1.3.1 or 1.3.2. If things work as they should with 1.3.2 and performance suffers as a result, then this is so and I have to live with the worse performance of the later patch (but why then the change to 64 bit, you do not do that to get worse performance) . But if the worstening is due to the later patches not working properly - then this would be a very different situation.

The only changes in AC files I did was to reduce skydome reflection from 3.0 to 2.7 I think (it simply is too shiny and too bright), and turning soft wheel lock on (nice feature that, btw). Both settings already were changed in 1.3.0. No further advanced "tuning" done over here.

6. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I have the same GPU as OP and something similar has happened on my end: While running 1.3.2 there was a massive performance drop from one session to the other - not even AC launcher was quit and restarted in between.

I have a respective thread running with some advice from users I will try but no AC response. For me it's mainly the GPU that's running at constant 99 % on several old and new tracks even in single practice. But the game also crashes with that 99 % CPU warning at times so it's possibly related...
    Currently reinstalled C++ runtime and uninstalled AC...downloading now to see if my install was messed up. Like you I had a performance boost with 1.3.

7. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Does it run better for you in Multiplayer? I don't have conclusive tests, but I seem to get better PHY% (using the Render stats app) than with AI. A way to do it is to race a bit with a medium or big grid Online, and then repeat the same settings and cars offline.

8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I just finished some Nürburgring tourist laps, two servers, several car swaps. No CPU warning, but definitely more lags and stutterings than usual - and usually it was no visible problem for me at all. Its not a big showstopper now, too, but definitely more than before. I saw that yesterday night with much lesser players, too. My ping was around 35.

Don't know whether the two things relate to each other. So I am just saying.

Should mention that I did a Steam integrity check. No damage detected/corrected.

9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

How was it under 1.3.0 ? For me, it was a clear performance gain over 1.2.5

Edit. You said later you had that gain under 1.3, so forget my question.

10. michael_

michael_ Simracer

It won't be random. Most likely it coincides with graphics driver updates (updating to windows 10 would probably have done it too)

If AC doesn't find the mode you've set the launcher just quits after clicking 'start' and the resolution box says something like "640x480".

11. Skybird

Skybird Alien

"It won't be random?" IT IS RANDOM FOR SURE. Sometimes AC changes itself. Sometimes it does not. I set it to 1920x1080@60. It can set to 1280, 1024, 640 and on very rare occaisons 800, at 60 Hz, 59.xx Hz or 20 something Hz. Its completely unpredictable.It does not coincide or correlate with other software I used before switching to AC.

No update to W10 here. Not even the hidden penetrative preparatory files for later migration that Microsoft tries to enforce onto systems without users realising it, have made it on my HD. And I tend to NEVER touch graphics drivers for as long as I do not have technical problems demanding it (system-wide) - too often there remain technical residues afterwards, no matter whether you, as nowadays recommended by nVidia, install one driver over the other, or manually deinstall the first one and then manually clean the registry and folders, reboot and then install the new one. Updating gfx drivers in the past too often has gone wrong, left to problems, even system reinstallations longer time ago.

Look at the version of my driver in my sig. Its a very solid and stable version, btw. And no riva tuner here. No Afterburner, or anythign like that. No gfx update. No card update. It may happen after Windows Updates or not. It happens beteen Updates as well. It may happen every day a week, or not once in one whole week.

Cannot happen any more randomly.

Aris had no satisfactory explanation last year and just said it were another program. Since then, the system was reinstalled again from scratch, I do that once a year, per routine. And the same from all beginning on happened with AC resolution.

Sometimes I noted that here and there others posted something indicating that it happens for them, too.

P.S. Normally I agree: "update drivers". And I do that. When there is an issue with something, uodate sound drivers, printer drivers, windows drivers, gadget drivers. Just with gfx cards I am very careful, due to a long history of sometimes VERY bad experiencesa. Meaning the past 15 years or longer. Uopdating gfx drivers to me is a high risk operation with unpredictable outcome. You may get a better, stzabvle result. You may run into problems and residues. You may end with system reinstallation- I had it all. I hate it.

I also do not use system restore, it has failed to work when I tried it too often in past years (ALWAYS, to be precise), and simply is too unreliable. I have external images in case of troubles during the year, and manually reinstall once a year, making new mirror images afterwards. Klingon reliability: kill it all, build new.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  12. michael_

michael_ Simracer

No, it isn't. It's changing for a reason - something is happening to make it change.

I gave one reason that definitely can cause it (upgrading a graphics driver)

Your computer will have had many updates between now and last year, both to windows and to assetto corsa.

I didn't tell you to update your drivers. I told you that the action of updating your drivers can trigger the issue to occur.

13. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I just had launched AC, and it was at 1600 resolution at 59.xx Hz. Just hours ago, with running computer, it was at 19820x1080@60. I ate, watched some tv and read a bit in thge meantime. No windows update, no other update, no virus update (it does that once a day, on launch). No nothing.

Its not about changes from last year to this year. It is about changes from hour to hour, possibly. Or day to day. Or no changes for a whole week, and then three changes in one day. I may have changes after each of 5 starts of AC. Or then none in ten launches.

It makes no sense, no pattern. It did so last year, on an old installation. And on the new one afterwards, from installation day on.

14. michael_

michael_ Simracer

Well, I don't want to insult you, but you don't sound like you have a lot of success when it comes to using computers. You know, having to reinstall things and believing that upgrading graphics drivers is "high risk" - I don't really have this experience perhaps because I've been a programmer for over 3 decades.

My advice would be to just live with it unless you can find someone savvy to look at it "in person" so to speak.

15. My resolution has not changed a single time on it's own. You have some sort of issue going on with your pc skybird.

16. Providing a couple of video.ini files with the mysterious changes happening and opening an issue about it would be a good start to troubleshoot the problem.

The performance getting worse on 1.3.2 is also very surprising since, literally, nothing changed.
    CPU warnings can be very situation (car/track and current situation) dependent.. a group of car close together will require more CPU in order to sort out potential collisions.. the worst offender being cars "stuck together" or stuck against a wall.

17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

But you did change the entire tyre model, implemented threading and some variable timer in previous updates...no offense but you can hardly be sure nothing went wrong here since all the performance issues are obviously CPU related. So is mine, I guess. Even though my GPU reports maxed out (even at all details lowest/off) it seems to be related to the red line in render stats - is that CPU usage?

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...pu-usage-low-fps-on-old-and-new-tracks.27793/

18. I meant going from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2

LeDude83 likes this.
  19. liakjim

liakjim Alien

@LeDude83 , i think that your "issue" is not really an issue. You are reporting that you have only low fps in Barcelona and in high resolution and your GPU is at 99% = GPU limited.
    All that means that Barcelona is too harsh on your GPU. And it is because it's better visual than the rest.

Either you
    • wait for some optimization from KUNOS for Barcelona (if ever going to be, maybe it's already optimized for it's visuals. )
    • lower your details only for this track
    • lower your res
    • buy new GPU

20. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

No friend, I have the red line in render stats maxed out/spiking and the only information I have on that is that it's cpu usage. Also: please re-read my thread if you want to help (no offense!!!): It's also on Spa and it happened in between two sessions out of thin air. Even Barcelona was fine before.

Edit: And as I wrote loud above: It happens on lowest details!

21. donShere

donShere Hardcore Simmer

@Skybird, are you still using V-sync as your sig says? I noticed that my CPU usage is very low using V-sync. Still I go without atm since it gives me much higher FPS and smooth but CPU usage goes to 99% and stays there. I have no visual imput lag with either options.