1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Better quality LODS and shadows!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Chazz Ranger, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

I can't overemphasis the difference this has made in the LOD and shadow quality of my AC. Thanks to some investigative work by forum member matt2380 and his shadow map settings outlined in this post: Anybody know how to tweak shadow quality?

AssettoCorsa/system/cfg/graphics.ini
    SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_0=0.0000000001
    SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_1=0.0000000001
    SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_2=0.0000000001

To quote matt2380 and my own post on that thread...
    - Removes the ugly transitions between shadow maps and increases detail of distant shadows... which nearly completely negates that funny "chasing shadow" effect on guardrails and walls.
    - Fully removes the gaps between objects and their shadows (very noticeable on guardrails and walls).
    - Has no FPS impact (for me at least)... in fact, replays seem to be far more smooth now, partly because...
    - *GETS RID OF THE ANNOYING COCKPIT SHADOW LOD CHANGE* In fact, I can't see LOD switches in replays at all now.
    - Improves shadow quality overall, and with a few exceptions just make shadows look "right".

I have yet to find something game-breaking with these settings. The cost for all this is so minimal, you'd be insane not to try them. As I said in my post, you still need AA (preferably SGSS) to reduce pixel crawl and shadow flicker, these settings aren't perfect and they don't FIX shadows, but they make one hell of an improvement. I still see the occasional flickering jaggie shadow on cars, signs, etc. but WOW. My AC has never looked better. The reduction of annoying cockpit shadow/LOD switches alone is worth it.

Milincho, jasjeet, matt2380 and 8 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Tracks modding Better Quality Trees Mar 17, 2014
    ACC Virtual Reality Shouldn't I get better performance with this spec? Mar 12, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Better FFB in ACC for low-medium range wheels? Dec 10, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Do we have any better Porsche Cup liveries for single player mode Jul 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is the PS5 version better? Jun 20, 2023
    ACC User Interface Suggestion for much better replay- overview Dec 14, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality ACC in VR, better Win10 or Win11? Dec 11, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions AC was better Acc Apr 9, 2022
    Steering wheels discussions G923 really that better than G920? Dec 30, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Better Driver Rating System for ACC [Seriously, stop] Nov 23, 2021
    ACC Tools For those who want better FFB! Sep 25, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Which is better? T-LCM and Simgear loadcell kit Dec 28, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions I have Series X , now is better ACC ? Nov 16, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Better frame rate since GT4 pack loaded? Sep 18, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Which is better, dedicated button box or multi-func. wheel hub? Aug 31, 2020

3. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Just how much of an FPS loss is there?

4. mtlclutch

mtlclutch Gamer

hmmm.. something i always hoped would be fixed. Def giving it a try right now.

5. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Does it increase draw distance of the shadows?

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  6. mtlclutch

mtlclutch Gamer

Just finished a nurb run with the changed settings. The LOD is definitely not swapping on the car. Im almost certain the shadows have much better draw distances now but my pc isnt the greatest so it could be sharper. FPS impact minimal to none but I was solo on my run.
    http://imgur.com/zU3R5Xl
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    F430_458_F12 likes this.
  7. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

nope

first:

this trick have a conseguence BTW the car shadow with very low FOV cameras during replays

here an exemple with stock lod 3 values this is the result (look at the bumper)

Showroom_mercedes_sls_gt3_30-0-2016-9-25-34.jpg

with pumped lod 3 values

Showroom_mercedes_sls_gt3_30-0-2016-9-24-45.jpg

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  8. mtlclutch

mtlclutch Gamer

maxed out the settings in ac and shadows still popping in at long range

9. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

it's a directx 11 issue PJC have the same issue...can't be fixed

10. mtlclutch

mtlclutch Gamer

ok thanks for crushing my dreams :p Can i just delete the graphics folder to reset back to default? I didnt backup :eek::eek::eek:

11. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

just set

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  12. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

BTW FOR DRIVING IS BETTER USE PUMPED SETTINGS

13. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I still struggle to understand why there isn't a variable for the shadow distance. Surely there must be a value for it somewhere?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  14. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

Directx limit

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

15. Filippo94

Filippo94 Alien

it's not Directx limit :rolleyes:
    Shadow distance can be set usually during programming, but it is not free. Further shadow distance will cause general pixel density decrease.

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  16. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Agreed, one drawback I have noticed is car shadows tend to be overall more striped/pixelated with these settings. But I'm willing to trade that for the rest of the benefits (we'll see how long that lasts before the car shadow striping drives me nuts lol) :D

17. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Highly recommend this shadow fix/workaround!
    Surprisingly zero fps hit on my weak *** outdated gtx570, I am using 'high setting' for shadows.
    Thx @Chazz Ranger

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  18. Filippo94

Filippo94 Alien

A drawback that you should be aware of is that on the edge tangent to the light direction you'll start seeing artefacts, because lowering the bias basically reduces the offset of the shadow from the shadow caster.

Blamer likes this.
  19. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Yes, there are some drawbacks, but much less noticeable compared to that annoying LOD's popping

20. Filippo94

Filippo94 Alien

It depends, Popping lods happen always in far distances, shadows artefacts are everywhere instead. It's one of the countless compromises you as a graphics developer have to choose between.

Patrik Marek and Blamer like this.
  21. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

No worries! But thank matt2380, he did all the work, I'm just the messenger! :D

Kristaps likes this.