1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The inconsistency in FFB levels really lets AC down

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by SeeNoWeevil, Feb 27, 2016.

1. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Gamer

Many cars either aren't using anywhere near the full range of FFB available and feel light and 'videogamey' or have such high gain, they clip badly and all FFB nuance is lost. The difference between the 'light' and 'heavy' cars can be as much as 40%, which in FFB terms is huge. Tuning each car's individual gain with something like the FFBClip app results in a much, *much* better experience. So much so that before doing this, I was pretty close to refunding the game. Yes, I realise such an app isn't the objective truth when it comes to FFB gain, but I'm confident the majority would find AC so much more enjoyable with more consistent levels. Currently, imo, each car needs time spent by the player tuning FFB. Setting a global gain value and not tuning each car leads to a pretty lousy experience. Time I would rather spend playing the actual game. Some cars are just not pleasant to drive with their default values. At all. The Gallardo would be example of a car with so much gain, almost all fine-grained feedback is lost. Please consider a greater focus on FFB consistency, I think many players won't feel inclined to investigate tuning levels themselves. When tuned properly, the FFB in AC is *sublime*. So much so I struggle to play other driving games.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions FFB inconsistency/lag Sep 19, 2021
    ACC Physics NSX Evo Rod Length inconsistency Jan 15, 2021
    ACC Gameplay little default setup inconsistency on Nissan GT-R (2015) Aug 23, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Spa "inconsistency" kerb May 30, 2019
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Inconsistency of drivers shaders Dec 11, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues brake glare inconsistency (muira and f40 almost 0 glare) Oct 27, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Exposure & pp inconsistency bug Dec 20, 2015
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Major inconsistency found in car setup concerning toe in / out. Apr 14, 2015
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Thrustmaster ts-xw ffb on pc Feb 26, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting FFB is lost after going to the Menus Feb 3, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Redurce FFB on Curbs Jan 25, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals What's happened to ACC FFB Jan 3, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Better FFB in ACC for low-medium range wheels? Dec 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB coming and going at random with Thurstmaster TS-XW Aug 27, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Weird ffb on G920 Aug 21, 2023

3. Eero

Eero Hardcore Simmer

It takes me only couple of seconds to set approximately correct FFB value for each car using only pedals app to see that forces aren't clipping.

AurusCE, Fear, donShere and 11 others like this.
  4. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Gamer

You can't set a good level in a couple of seconds. Even so, why should the player have to do this? Why are some of the cars clipping like crazy from the get-go?

nate likes this.
  5. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

The problem is that different cars have different feel through the steering wheel. Dunno what you may have driven in real life but from my experiences sitting in the cockpit of a slicks and wings, open wheel single seater is a totally different feeling in your hands to a modern day saloon. There's power steering to take into account as well.

A Formula Palmer Audi takes more effort to steer (for steer read wrestle ;) ) around the track than a Fiat 500. My experience is also that once slicks and wings let go there is very little feedback until grip is regained :eek:.

I find that AC gives a decent approximation of the difference in "feel" between car and tyre combinations. Might not be as strong as IRL but then again I'm using a G27 which isn't the strongest wheel. If you feel the amount of "effort" is lacking then start saving up for a dd wheel with some powerful motors :D

Wrt to clipping like crazy from the get go just think that Kunos have to set levels for multiple users. We don't all have the same kit at our disposal do we ;)

AurusCE, Horus, TDS and 6 others like this.
  6. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Gamer

The wheel is irrelevant. Clipped output is clipped output. My point being, you cannot set a particular global gain and have a good experience across all cars. Many users will just run with the stock settings and never feel inclined to investigate why some cars feel bad.

Boris Lozac and nate like this.
  7. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I kind off agree with @SeeNoWeevil .

The perfect Assetto Corsa would be as such : auto recognize the wheel (it does) and then adjust all cars' FFB to perfect non clipping setting.

That was the situation at 1.3 (if i am not mistaken). All cars were adjusted to my G27 and i had to adjust by minimal amount of force.

In 1.4 some cars are perfect (like F40) , other returned to clipping face (some GT3 cars), other need more than 100% (rare).
    Most of the time a FFB external app is a must though.

1.5 update has some big gap from 1.4. I suggest to wait until then and revisit this thread.

There is indeed an inconsistency though. Also a workaround. Last one it shouldn't to be needed.

P.S. In rF2 almost 99% of the cars are always perfect. Rarely i had to adjust the gain.

8. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

Which is why, for me, there is the option to adjust for each car. It takes little time compared to working on set up (which will affect the FFB I assume) and is then saved away for each car. As we progress through further iterations of tyre model (currently ranging through two or three different versions throughout the range of Kunos cars) things are bound to get a little flakey. Hopefully, as @liakjim says, 1.5 will give us a little more consistency. For me, it's no issue to run the FFBClip app and make some adjustments after 2 or 3 laps along with any set up adjustments I care to make during practice or quali.

At the end of the day I don't think it lets AC down. It just means that I have to spend a few extra minutes getting dialled in.

Horus and f1webberfan like this.
  9. Tberg

Tberg Alien

It takes balls for a newcomer to these forums, to ask devs to consider "greater focus" on ffb. I'll give you that.
    As discussed a million times, it's a compromise between having "optimum" ffb with clip on the limit and preserving weight feel differences between cars. With a strong enough wheel it's not an issue to not adjust every single car, you just set global gain once and forget about it. For weaker wheels, sure the ffb-clip app is a great tool, if you can't use the pedal app and adjust within a lap.

Cheers

10. rd.king

rd.king Hardcore Simmer

The steering wheel feedback I get when I drive my Ford truck is completely different
    from the feedback I get from my Ford Mustang.
    I think I'll head over to the Ford forum and let them know.
    Maybe know ones mentioned it before.

11. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Gamer

What a strange thing to say. I don't need a sizeable post history before I can offer my constructive feedback. I want the game to do well and if I feel strongly about something, I'm going to post about it. Don't agree? Don't read it.

This is just not true. If you reduced your global gain to prevent some of the cars clipping so badly, you'll end up with others with next to no resistance at all.

I don't think you even read my post.

donShere, Casper, nate and 2 others like this.
  12. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Assetto corsa is praised to have the best FFB in the industry.
    In the quest to avoid any clipping some people run the wheel so light that it becomes unrealistic.
    Drivers have to keep in shape in order to hold the wheel for the duration of the race.

13. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

It was much worse before, at 1.3 Kunos tried to adjust FFB across the board to even it out. Still not perfect and FFBClip is essential app on my hud. Gladly adjustment just takes Num +/- keypresses, or clicks on FFB gain spinner app and can be done on the fly.

Most sims have car specific ffb gain setting, must be a reason for that.

14. With a powerful wheel all I do is I set the gain from driver and options to 100% and lower gain per car to around 35%. That pretty much fits every car. Sometimes I kind of cheat and raise the gain to 40% if the conditions are slippery.

tommi karsikas likes this.
  15. ouvert

ouvert Alien

hmm that is pretty subjective thing .. I heard the same thing about rF2 and AMS/SCE ... some would put even updated R3E above AC ... personally I couldnt`t tell which one is better, impression of AC FFB strongly depends if I jump to it directly from one of those sims ...and even than after few laps it feels good
    But I do not have issues OP is mentioninig .. usually 79-89 % and I`m fine ...FFB should feel different accross all cars ..

Only sim that works perfectly across all cars without fine tuning is SCE/AMS .

16. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil Gamer

It does have the best FFB implementation out there imo, which is why it bothers me so much that people might not get to experience that because they don't take the time out to tune it properly. It's not the end of the world for me to tune each car (although I'd rather not) but many people just won't bother and may just consider the FFB as poor or avoid driving particular cars. I love the game now, but my first impressions were not good.

17. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Unless you actually have an Accuforce, OSW, Leo B, or at least a CSW, it doesn't appear to me that you know the slightest of what I'm talking about. You want me to say "don't know about it? Don't post about it."? Of cause I read about stuff on this forum.
    And it must be aggravating as a dev to read that one should focus more in an area, that along with the physics is what the whole sim is build upon.

If anything, it's good that you want the sim to succeed, like many of us ;-)

Sleeper Service likes this.
  18. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

I have tried the FFB anti-clipping app and personally I think that it makes the wheel too light, feels unrealistic, at least compared to my road car.

Mogster likes this.
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I think most titles require some level of fine-tuning the FFB levels by the user; with GSC and now AMS, Reiza refers to those that care enough to do so as being "Power Users"; one's who seek out and learn how to adjust FFB via the ini file settings. In AC, we don't have to do that but, it does also limit what we can do to alter the FFB. That's another reason I like SimCommander so much, it allows greater control of FFB in any title and it's one that's consistent in any case.

Pcars might serve as an example where dev's attempted to make it easy for anyone to adjust any FFB parameter desired but, it's far too complex for most users to understand. My point being, adjusting FFB to suit personal preference requires time, testing and persistence - no matter what system is implemented. The greater the range of the effects, the hardware/software, the greater the possibilities but, it still requires work on the part of the user and FFB is so subjective that it's impossible to satisfy everyone.

Granted, some games just work straight out of the box; to me, rF2 and GSC come to mind but, I do want there to be pretty broad range in FFB; typical Road Cars should be far more subtle, dampened and less responsive than purpose-built race cars, open-Wheeler's, etc. Still, some won't like those title's FFB straight-away. As mentioned, the hardware being used plays a huge part in that range and our perception of the effectiveness of the FFB. There are certainly things I'd like to see improved in AC's FFB but, it's very good overall IMO; it's only when comparing back-to-back to other titles that it starts to show some weakness.

In testing AMS and reading others opinions of FFB, it's quite interesting seeing the broad range of opinions of the FFB and one can see patterns develop in relation to the hardware being used. It has to be very difficult for dev's to customize per wheel - especially if they don't have actual hardware; not going to happen very often with high-end options costing thousands. I know SimX is sending AF units out to some developers now so they can develop custom profiles/presets but, OSW-type and Bodnar wheels may not be well represented and they are the most capable wheels with the greatest range of effects available. They may be the wheels most in need of well-tuned FFB, certainly the ones in the best position to maximize FFB effects.

As an interesting note to DD users: SimXperience is considering adding support for OSW wheels to SC4. Personally, I think it'd be a great option to have - especially if one already uses it for SimVibe support.

Sleeper Service likes this.
  20. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Interesting, source? Not like OSW needs one with AC but could be useful for other sims.

21. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Anti-clipping app? If you mean FFBClip, it does not do anything to FFB, just shows you recommended settings which you should set yourself. To get the fullest dynamic range out, just keep FFB graph a tiny bit under clipping line with occasional spikes on curbs, etc.