1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Science proves that Fangio was the greatest F1 driver of all time - Mathematical modeling confirms m

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Seria17hri11er, Apr 18, 2016.

1. :D From ARSTechnica

Excerpts:

"Bell's paper goes beyond simply looking at race wins for individual drivers. As any motorsports fan will tell you, even the best driver will struggle to win with a bad car (or team), and so the models used attempt to control for this. Or, as the authors put it, "The finishing position of drivers is used as the response variable in a cross-classified multilevel model that partitions variance into team, team-year and driver levels. These effects are then allowed to vary by year, track type and weather conditions using complex variance functions."

Perhaps we ought not be too surprised that Fangio tops the table. After all, in most subjective lists compiled by people in the sport, his name usually ranks above all others even decades later. His performance at the treacherous Nurburgring Nordschleife in 1957 alone merits mention. After losing a minute and a half to a botched wheel change, he chased down his rivals with a scarcely believable pace, shattering the lap record for the 14-mile track nine times"

"Alain Prost and Fernando Alonso occupy the next two spots, although there are large confidence intervals around each driver in part because the study used finishing position per race (where there can be a large variance because of things like crashes or car failures).

Interestingly, Michael Schumacher only ranks sixth despite records that may never be broken—91 wins, 68 pole positions, and seven world championships. The cause? His return to the sport after three years in retirement, when he wasn't ever able to best then-teammate Nico Rosberg. When Schumacher's 2010-2012 seasons are ignored, he displaces Alonso for third best ever."

"Digging into the data a little more allows drivers to be ranked by their skill at various kinds of races (permanent circuits, street courses, or temporary circuits), as well as in the wet and dry. Fangio continues to shine, with the exception of temporary tracks (these are different from street courses) where Schumacher shined even brighter.

But those pub bores who insist that it's all down to the car are mostly right. As the paper puts it, "the team effects significantly outweigh the driver effects, accounting for 86 percent of driver variation. Furthermore, the majority (about two-thirds) of the team effect is constant for a team and does not change year-on-year (although there is substantial variation within teams, year-on-year as well). In other words, the legacy of a team outweighs any transient effects as teams change year by year."

Even the best driver will struggle in an underperforming team. After all, just ask Fernando Alonso, who hasn't won a championship since 2006..."

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04...angio-was-the-greatest-f1-driver-of-all-time/

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap #6 - Art and Science Nov 6, 2016
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars What setting improves the look of puddles? Dec 5, 2018
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards rc rating decreasing as position in race improves Apr 4, 2019
    Physics Bugs & Issues improves AI drives assetto corsa Jul 5, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Wall bouncing improves lap time.. Dec 15, 2013
    General modding discussion Better Smoke mod (improves FPS) Nov 16, 2013

3. Ahahahahaha.

But math bro! :D

4. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

With or without math Fangio is the greatest:D

BTW is this the Maserati F1 Classic Kunos is going to make? Can't remember the specs...getting old here;)

5. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

6. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

Hehe seeing Prost so high in the list will cause rash and hives for many. :D And yet even Bernie acknowledged that he was best in the modern era, when he was not saying it's Vettel, Hamilton, or whoever comes next.

Traind likes this.
  7. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

Racing is art, math doesn't apply here!

Just a thought but it might not be reasonable to compare a driver using cars from the 1950's to a driver behind the wheel of a 2000's car. I tend to think the skill-set is different. The balance between reflexes, coordination, endurance, etc, are placed in different quantities depending on the type of car -and these cars are vastly different across such a large time span. In other words, Fangio might not be competitive on a 2007 car or Alonso on one from 1957. Each driver was talented on *that* particular type of car/tracks/era combination. Otherwise you could use the same math algorithm to compare F1 drivers with say rally for example. While similarities exist, it's a different animal altogether.

8. Nahas

Nahas Rookie

9. Bails

Bails Rookie

I feel this debate could go on for ages.
    But also;
    Jim Clark.
    Enough said.

10. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Yes the Maserati 250 F.

I feel it's really hard to compare drivers from different eras. Nuvolari, Fangio, Clark, Senna, Schumacher... But really how do you compare them????

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Seria17hri11er likes this.
  11. Great points from everyone. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say I fully agree with the article. I do not know enough about the topic to have an opinion.

Just thought some folks would enjoy a good "Cuss and Fuss" over the article. Everything is very civil so far :D

12. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  13. Had to pull the image from that article:

[​IMG]

Here's the thing--did I miss something? How the hell are they comparing car performance?

Mogster likes this.
  14. Rudski

Rudski Alien

I went to the OP link and it was just an article, where's the math and all the interesting stuff like assumptions and methods used to rank driver "skill"?

15. Fangio, Prost & Michael where some of the best in my book. Senna where up there too.!

16. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Fangio
    Prost
    Senna
    Schumacher

In that order
    :D

TDS likes this.
  17. YoRap

YoRap Rookie

I guess the fun stuff is in the journal paper: