1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

vsync vs fps cap

Discussion in 'Screens & Videos' started by hasole, Aug 19, 2016.

1. hasole

hasole Gamer

What are the pros and cons of vsync vs fps cap and what suits AC best?

I had vsync on and max fram latency set to 1.

Just trying frame rate limit to 65 instead for now to see if there is any difference

2. Torcano

Torcano Alien

With only one of them on I get these teeny tiny stutters from time to time, but with vsync on plus cap at 61 the stutters be gone... IDK what's that all about. But capping FPS is useful on some cards if they have coil whine at high FPS.

3. _Fulgore_

_Fulgore_ Racer

with my "old" gtx670 i need vsync and fps cap to 60, otherwise to much screen tearing, and stutter all the time... all just depends on your hardware and graphic settings, in one of the older ac versions 1.xx i played with 120 fps , no vsync and no stutter and was butter smooth but thats history :D

the cons are mostly little lag input, but i never noticed it while playing....

pro : your eyes have a little rest :) i hate stutter :p

4. Tberg

Tberg Alien

For me, the latency difference makes quite an impact on the ffb. Right now, I´m using the Rift CV1 where the runtime forces vsync, and it tells in the ffb, even if AC has vsync off and max frame latency set to 1.
    Soon as I use my monitors instead, the ffb firms up and I miss this with the Rift. Of cause, I´m now used to it, but it would be interesting if vsync option would be unlocked again in oculus rift.

5. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Guys, I use adaptive vsync, and the FPS floats around 60 fps, will this effect my display ?

Thanks, LATE4APEX

6. Tberg

Tberg Alien

What do you mean if it affects your display? It does, as vsync is off when below target fps, so you won´t notice your smooth 60fps suddenly look like a movie when drops to 30fps. Even worse, when it switches between 30 and 60, back and forth.

7. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

As I indicated, I am using adaptive vsync, which is different than plain vsync, adaptive vsync does not switch between 30 and 60 fps.

What I see is the FPS fluctuating around 60 fps by one or two, maybe three fps.

LATE4APEX

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  8. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Look up how a monitor updates below refreshrate, sorry, have no time to explain.

Best

9. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Why would I do that ?

LATE4APEX

10. jarqus

jarqus Racer

If use have a Pascal card (and at a later date, Maxwell etc) you can turn on fast sync. What this does is renders all frames but only displays the last screen that is synced with the monitor. Allowing tear free and very low input lag

Schnipp and LeDude83 like this.
  11. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

That's ****ing awesome! Activate through control panel?!?

12. jarqus

jarqus Racer

I dont think you can do it through the control panel. But you can activate it through nvidia inspector by scrolling down to sync option. and selecting "0x18888888 " and disable vsync in game.

LeDude83 likes this.
  13. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I tried fast sync by activating it in inspector and deactivating AC native VSYNC. It looked fairly smooth on the straights but through the turns it became very, very jerky. Not through every turn but 1 lap around Spa it gave me ~ 7 very stuttery moments through turns.
    Maybe other settings need to be tweaked...I had maximum frame latency at 1. Maybe this needs altering for better fast sync performance. There are also further options in the inspector..."tearing prevention" or something like that.

So my experiment by simply "flicking the switch" did not work well and I return to VSYNC. if anyone finds out how to properly use fast sync let me know ;-) The general idea is very good.

14. _Fulgore_

_Fulgore_ Racer

i bought last saturday the 1070gtx, searched about that fast sync, well at least its in alpha or so cause most forums i read about different games are still laggy with this forced setting....so i think its safe to say, stay away from it :)

15. jarqus

jarqus Racer

with fps cap, at any level above 66fps (66 is because I have the monitors OC'd to 66hz) and even before I increased monitor refresh rate I would get a constant stop in the scenery, you may call that micro stutter. How does one stop that from happening every second.

It doesn't do it when vsync is open but also when vsync is on, the fps ingame app shows that red line flickering up and down like "zzzzz", no performance issue but just want to make that smooth. Also I didn't noting this with my old 280x (now 1070 x gaming) it is sort of blurry when turning, which is noticeable with tree line or power polls etc.

16. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Thank you so much for this tip.

Tearing, VSync and fps cap actually was one of todays topics in Stefanos stream.

Until now I always used VSync, because there is no tearing and it runs really smooth. So a few weaks ago I read that VSync had some cons to it and fps cap is better, so I tried it, but didn't like the tearing and it wasn't as smooth as VSync.
    So Stefano said VSync does add quite some lag (more than I previously thought) and it seems I got used to it while driving, just noticed that the virtual steering wheel lagged behind my controls.

So today I tested it again, with fps cap instead of VSync the lag was way less, but I still hate the tearing and not so smooth motion.

I just tested the Nvidia fastsync feature (that also works with my pre-Maxwell GTX 660Ti) with fps cap at 61fps and it runs pretty smooth (VSync a little bit smoother, but not much), no tearing and lag comparable to fps cap.

17. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0 Racer

I feel pretty fine with vsync on & fsccap 61; I tune graphics so that my card can provide a minimum fps of 60.
    I this way, almost no stutter, except some in the very first lap.

LeDude83 likes this.