1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Sound is still improving? -opinions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Michele Papis, Aug 30, 2016.

1. I've started this thread because of my frustration about Assetto Corsa sound in general, build after build.
    I've opened a lot of threads in past discussin' issue or problem, most of them solved, but also again I think it's a neverending story. Somentimes a new car sound, sometimes an old car remastered sound.
    After every update have to be adjusted the fade, the reverb, something is broken.
    I like to listen good quality sound music, changing quite often speakers, sound cards or headphones.
    In my opinion (and is good to listen yours too) I find this common problem from the first times, fmod or not:
    - low quality samples (like a bad encoded lo-qual MP3)
    - compressed sounds, with oversaturated bass
    - on the grid or pit line sounds are totally overlapped and you can't even hear your car from inside, low volume.
    - lifeless sound, I mean: sensation of sound coming from somewhere not like it should be
    - a lot of cars with old and bad sounds, like Lotus (I know maybe it's expensive and can take a lot of time)
    - tire sounds: pretty much the same for all cars; you can't hear the difference from a simple wheel spin or when you're pushing too much over the edge burning the tires.

I know how to setup a simple system sound, mixing, balance, etc. to prevent any kind of distortion or problem to the source audio. I've also changed my last Xonar card to a Sound Blaster Z, to try to solve old problems, but I've got again the same crackling sound with some cars on track, from speakers or headphones no difference.
    Of course, some cars have good sounds, but to me it's a general problem, fmod add a kind of new effects and programming features, but not a real improvement.
    I'm getting really frustrated because everytime I watch a replay, I drive with other cars, my cars lose volume not in a natural way, losing a lot of immersion.
    What's your opinion about it in general? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Alberto Llinares, v!rus and xiunfr like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Assetto corsa 2 Tuesday at 10:25 AM
    Console Lounge How to share clips to Assetto Corsa club Mar 17, 2024
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Assetto corsa competizione ps5 Mugello best track Mar 14, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Competizione UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close. Feb 25, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa 2 Silence Feb 22, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Moving Game Files from One Drive to C:\Users\Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione Feb 19, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.8 hotfix update OUT NOW! Feb 1, 2024
    Bug reports Assetto Corsa Competizione PS5 Version 1.9.7 Wipers Bug Jan 29, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.7 hotfix update OUT NOW! Jan 26, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.6 update and GT2 Pack DLC are OUT NOW! Jan 24, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Unable to Play Assetto Corsa on Steam due to Malicious code found by AV Jan 5, 2024
    General modding discussion TOP 10 car mods for Assetto Corsa Dec 30, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Assetto Corsa won't launch thru steam Dec 19, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa 2 Trailer Dec 18, 2023

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I feel some of the sounds are quite good since Kunos began using the new approach and techniques; some of the older ones still could use updating. In some cases, I prefer to use Fonsecker's sound mods so all-in-all, most of the sounds are good.

Fonsecker has been working with adding some additional samples to produce engine sounds with improved intensity and that seems like it could be beneficial - at least in certain cases.

One thing that I feel is missing in AC is proper drive-train / gearbox sounds but, to work right - the sounds need to interact with the physics and that requires coding. It is a small detail to some but, I think it's an important for good immersion and for creating a sense of physical connection to the car.

The tire sounds could do with some attention also; I really like the way they work and sound in AMS as an example.

4. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I think the engine sounds have improved massively since the early release, the 250F for instance sounds fantastic from the cockpit.

Modern road cars are what they are from inside sound wise. Even the manufacturers seem accept there's a problem, they wouldn't be including soundaktor type devices otherwise.

Seria17hri11er and Dean Ogurek like this.
  5. I still think that the engine sound of the BMW Z4 road car from the cockpit view needs to be improved. It sounds too "tinny" to me. The external sound is much better.

6. I've to update my first post in fact. I forget tire sounds ;) of course need improvements; and I find sounds from R3E the most immersive, also to no if your wheel is just slipping or you're burining it over the edge.

Dean Ogurek likes this.
  7. mister dog

mister dog Alien

There's definitely more attention to detail with the newer cars. Engine sounds always sound more or less like the real thing, whilst many other games do a 'insert generic V8 engine sound here' . I also love the wind noise, something which is generally ignored too but very apparent when you drive at high speeds in real life.

I'm satisfied with the sounds, but i would love for more environmental SFX to be added around the tracks, as the tracks themselves always seem very quiet and do not have a race day atmosphere.

WallyM and Michele Papis like this.
  8. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

The sound of other cars pollutes the audio mix too much in my view. When in car it should be 100% your own car sounds until a car is like 10-15 metres away when you should be able to hear it a little bit. At the moment it seems I can hear lots of cars on the grid etc, it sounds like a swarm of locusts, I can barely hear my own car at these times, it gets lost in the mix.

9. Like every single car sound is over the others.

10. Mogster

Mogster Alien

There was some guy on the M61 with a white tuned GTR late the other night. He floored it and I could still hear it 200m away at least, from inside my car, with the stereo on pretty loud...

The flames shooting out of the exhausts were pretty impressive also... :D

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Yes, a very good point; Fonsecker did that with his sounds by tightening the sound-cone so you only hear opponents when in close proximity. One downside to that is the the replay sounds also have to share the same attributes and sacrifice volume at greater distance; overall, still a worth-while trade-off IMO.:)

12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Indeed, good variable tire sounds are an important part of both immersion and sensing the threshold of front-tire grip, combined with the FFB of course.:)

13. rycil

rycil Simracer

Definitely! It is the major drawback of the sound system and it really breaks the immersion being in a race car!

When I watch onboard camera of gt3, the on/off on the throttle is wild while in AC it is smooth.

14. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Hardcore Simmer

Sounds in AC have, since the pre alpha Lotus Elise on Magione test, been an iffy subject.
    Where we are now? I think mostly the sounds are fantastic. However, there's definitely room for critique.

I find overall, the general sound of AC especially externally, is too muffled and quiet. Hard to explain honestly.
    I find there's not enough ambient outside noise, to make you believe you are track-side, watching cars fly by. Granted this can be picked apart. Fly by's of cars are sounding better overall, especially by themselves. But the track is silent just about (sounds other than the car). It sounds like you're inside a concrete room, up until a car flies by and you get all the dynamic noises going on. Then soon gone. It's more an environment issue I feel.
    Some cars engine sounds in the cockpit could be a little less synthetic. Olders additions, original cars.

AC needs more transmission noise as well. More reasons to make the cars sound like they are under stress.

Agree with Ben Lee, there's too much pollution of sound from other cars. I don't fully agree, because some cars can drown others even from a bit of distance, but that's always a mix. In AC it's ALL mixed in pretty equally, and mashes everything to the point of being inaudible in traffic, replays as well. Nonetheless, compared to other PC sims, I find their attempt at dynamic sound to be MUCH better than many previously. At least they try, and it's showing improvement every new pack, in some way.
    I still feel like there's an overall issue with overall sound. It applies to everything in the game, for me.

Personally, I remember AC 0.1, and 0.2. When they had locational reverb originally. IDK what bugs they had in surround (I have 5.1 and it was prefect), but that still to this day sounded better than what we have now.

Michele Papis likes this.
  15. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Hint about transmission sounds : you can adjust it with audio app. Put it on 10.
    Also same can be done for opponents.
    If you think they are too loud , reduce it.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

16. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I'm not getting you guys, have you not seen the audio-mix apps? Turn down opponents sounds ;-)

Anyway, @AC Support you said that tires skid surround works, but in stereo headphones, why do kerb sound come from the correct side left/right when tires all are centeret?

17. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

TBH im not a big fan of AC internal sounds. the classic race and road cars seem to have modern luxury car levels of sound proofing, the Shelby Cobra doesnt even have a roof but the internal sound is still pretty much all engine noise. the external cam sounds for that car are pretty cool though, atleast you can hear the exhaust and the engine and the exhaust makes some fun noises off throttle.

AC audio seems to only work with headphones, I bought a new amp trying to improve AC sound on my stereo but no joy.

iRacing has the best sounds of any sim IMO.

18. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

What exactly is the problem with speakers?
    I use AKG headphones for mixing but also enjoy driving with speakers (honestly i use a cheap logitech 2.1 system but want to use in the near future some higher quality stereo speakers and amp)

The vanilla sounds of AC are sometimes good (if they have used good recordings) but sometimes worse if they don´t have. Then they try to simulate the original sound of the car with synthetic samples (like on the 488 GT3) and then it sounds sterile and synthetic.

Also a problem is, that original sounds often use generic samples like backfire and shift sounds even if they have used good recordings and that makes them worse. Like on the Praga, these shift klonks and a very low volume of engine sound makes this car not the best driving machine for me. A bit more wortk on the volume levels would be very nice and could improve original sounds a lot. Also sounds like transmission, tire squeel and curb sound, which are on almost every car the same is not good for the overall experience. But these sounds are very difficult to record.

There is also more influence to the sounds than just the samples itself.
    Usually the physics of the car plays also a role here. When doing sound mod´s to the original cars, sometimes i feel there are "wrong" parameters in the physic like to long or to short shifting times, engine inertia values or too low or too high auto blip values. Even with perfect samples, it sounds not 100% like in the recordings.

Like in the Ferrari 458 italia, downshifts of my soundmod would sound better, if the autoblip value would be different. On the McLaren F1 GTR the throttle pedal setup is "messed up" because u cannot do a soft and gentle blip on the downshifts to sound like real because the engine revs up too much only by touching the pedal.

Then there is still since the beginning of AC a delay of the downshift event so u cannot do the sound i.e. for the click of the shifting pedal correct.

Also somes sounds like wind noise and transmission are in original sounds in mono. I have managed to make them stereo also using new created stereo samples and it makes a huge difference.

But overall i am very happy with the sounds of AC and i am very happy that the sounds are modable :)

19. D1visor

D1visor Alien

Some are good, most are not.

TheBoss likes this.
  20. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I couldnt say exactly but with my cheap headphones I get nice surround sound and the cars sound nicer, with 4.1 speaker setup AC sounds really bland. no noticable exhaust sound (in the fairly crappy road cars ive owned irl I could clearly hear the exhaust) none of the cars sound different off throttle than on with internal sound. in iRacing most of the cars really put a smile on my face just accelerating where I dont think any cars do in AC. it might be partly down to clutch/gearbox simulation in iR? look up the comparison with the rt12r in each game. the cars feel alive to me in iR, in AC not so much.

the difference between external sound and internal sound in cars with open cockpit I dont find convincing at all.

even some of the closed cockpit cars... I used to have a little mk1 mr2 which I believe shares its engine with the ae86, in my car (even with engine inbetween cockpit and exhaust) I could hear the exhaust rasping and rattling away behind me, in AC you can hear the same in the 86 with external sound but internal is just pure engine noise.

Michele Papis likes this.
  21. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

That´s what i noticed as i tried to record internal sounds 2 weeks ago from a 1986 Porsche 911 3.0 and a 2016 Carrera S. There are so much side noise u could not record because 1modern cars are damped inside that if u go off throttle or at low rpm u hear almost only side noise like wind or road noise.

Also the sound engine cannot recreate all those small things and noises in a good way.

If Kunos would change the reverb effect, that the reverb itself use external sound samples instead of internal sounds, it would sound much better imho and would simulate a bit the effect you are talking about.

Beside this, even a crappy street car engine can sound great, but with the standard technique (one track for 100% throttle samples and one for 100% coast samples) it sounds not that dynamic. And if u use samples which are created synthetically (with a synthesizer) or filtered with effects and equalizer till it loops perfectly, like most of the AC original sounds are, it sounds synthetic and lifeless.
    That´s why i use only samples from recordings with almost no filter and equalizing. Example here is the Maserati GT4 sound from Kunos: This sond is one of the best in AC but it still sounds a bit synthetic because i think there are used filters and equalizing perhaps to make them more stereo or loop perfect.

There is a lot of room to improve, but i am glad that AC is modable...