1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic The real impact of poor quality game releases - some food for thought

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by MBK72, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

We called into a local electronics & toy store tonight on the school collection run, we were picking up a Skylander now they are going cheap, when we encountered this little scene.

A mother, with her son, was requesting a refund on Assetto Corsa from the shop assistant. Her son had been playing the game and was getting headaches because of the "slow background movement, like watching an old movie" and she would not let him play it any longer.

Her requests for a refund were rebuffed many times, she had the receipt for £42.99 but the shop assistant was having none of it. The usual you've broken the seal on the game and played it so we can only give you the trade in value was the reply. (This is actually nonsense and breaks both UK and EU law but somehow these shops continue to get away with these excuses). They were offering £12 as trade in price as they already had a high level of used stock in the store. She asked about refunding the game and taking a copy of F1 2016 instead, the store point blank refused.

About 10 minutes in it all got very emotional, the mother was explaining that she did not have enough money to buy another game with just £12 trade in. I understand this, games are a luxury item , not everyone has the money for multiple new game releases each month. (And before anyone makes crass replies, have some humanity for those with less than you) The boy wanted her to keep the game but she was having none of it. So now Assetto Corsa really has brought a tear to people's eyes. The shop are embarrassed but unwilling to budge, no sign of a manager anywhere. I know the boys in the shop and they are not bad lads, just telling the corporate message so I'm not painting them as the bad guys here either. There are some not so good as they are made out guys in this story though.

At that point our kids had played on the demo machines and were ready with their Skylander choices, what a parent trap that is, the things they never tell you about bringing up kids. The argument was continuing so I picked up a copy of F1 2016 for the Xbox One as well. Call me a soft touch but I just couldn't see this go on any longer. We walked to the till and the assistant started ringing through the items. He noticed the F1 2016 and said "you know you've already got this game don't you, I remember you picking it up". I replied yes and the penny started to drop, "Oh you are buying it to give to them aren't you". He then disappeared into a back room where I imagine a manager was watching on and returned to sell me F1 2016 at a reduced price.

Our kids gave the F1 2016 game to the surprised boy, they'd been locked in the ever more heated row and noticed none of it. There were more tears but much happier ones. Last I saw the shop were also making the full refund which proves there are still some good people in the world.

The point here is that poorly released games hurt real people who might not have the money to pay for the mistakes of game makers and publishers. I read a lot about how passionate Kunos are and that they really 'care' about the game. I really do question if that is true. They didn't care enough to test it properly on console that much is for certain. Depending on your view of people this may mean nothing or a lot to you.
    If you've got kids you'll already know that telling them it'll be fixed in a month just isn't going to wash.

I think both the publishers and the developers Assetto Corsa need to think a lot harder about the impact of such a poorly produced game and who they might be hurting most.

L2D_Gopher, czk51, Animal and 10 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Does ACC not implement real life braking mechanics?(Need some insights on this recent youtube video) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC User Interface Red Bull Ring - real world lap record from Formula 1 Jan 25, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer We REALLY need a player report feature Dec 27, 2023
    General modding discussion Assetto Corsa Realistic Data making Sep 12, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Unreal Engine Error ACC 1.9.2 May 6, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Wrong angle on the side mirrors compared to real life Mar 31, 2023
    Chit Chat Room AC "anti-rollbar stock setting" VS real life cars "anti-rollbar stock setting" Mar 16, 2023
    Chit Chat Room AC vs. Real Dec 7, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions PlayStation 5 VR2 (PSVR2) Virtual Reality - Small talk, tech, pros & cons, your opinion, wishes? Nov 17, 2022
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Hi all, suddenly the pitch adjustment in the view app dont work anymore. I heard this is due to Real Aug 13, 2022
    Physics Bugs & Issues Real speed for Spa and Porsche, also every other Track and Car Jul 30, 2022
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Steering is really slow and delayed. Xbox controller Jun 4, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC Mixed Reality Race at Mount Panorama [Real Wheel and hands with Broadcast Style Angles] Feb 11, 2022
    General modding discussion Controll AI cars manually in real-time while racing Feb 10, 2022
    ACC Gameplay TL; DR: Is a 6 hour race the shortest off-line AI race that is fair; and real strategy is in play? Jan 4, 2022

3. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Look im sorry and people likely will not like what i say but deal with it, people get motion sickness from all sorts of things, the scene of speed is slower in project cars for example im not sure if the person had problems with that as well but its not under any circumstance the developers fault so dont you dare try to twist that sort of crap on them. Ive had to grow up with a friend that had gone to hospital a few times due to epilepsy being triggered in a few of the games he has played all of which he played at his own risk and those games had flashes and they warned about the potential triggers, he faced the consequences. Do car manufactures have to put warnings on their cars saying you might encounter car sickness, same with planes or boats.

Its a shame that the family is struggling with money but I think its pretty disgusting that you would twist it onto kunos. Kunos are not at fault for the lack of research done by you or the child or anyone, you dont gamble and then complain that you didnt win.

I know I'm being harsh and i get that you have good intentions but I think your opinion isnt right at all here, it was preventable on multiple levels so the fault is with the consumer.

Side note: It is still wonder that you bought a game for that kid, im sure he will treasure the hell out that

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. JMR1985

JMR1985 Racer

good on you fella a would of done the same im shocked that the quality that my Thrustmaster ferrari 458 spider wheel is not surrported but there say its on the list yes it is the force feed back wheel not the None Forcefeed Back as some people cant afford to go out buy bigger price wheels for games or even buy 2 games a month there save up to get the game whats class on PC but all a get told oh well you got a sim racing game dont use a wheel use a controller isnt that like saying go fishing but without a fishing rod you have a wheel there set up for other driving games but cant use it on this one as you use it and Bang you have right lock all the time so if your going right your perfect you hit a left bend your up a river without a paddle the game and all a been told there is a patch coming out for your wheel problems a dont know when so my bet is 6 months

MBK72 likes this.
  5. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

Well that is an interesting view point.

For clarity, though that was not the point of the story, the framerate and screen tearing are acknowledged faults by the developer and despite a patch did not fix the issue. Under EU and UK law this is grounds for a refund as the product is neither as described or fit for purpose.

Who else would you put at blame? Microsoft for allowing the game on the system with faults, possibly. It still comes back to the same issue, poorly produced games are not victim free.

Thanks on the buying the game, I'm a fully signed up member of the pc VR elite so like Mike Ashley (UK topical news) I only carry wads of £50 notes ;)

6. Eero

Eero Hardcore Simmer

Doesn't many console games have even lower framerates?

Tomcul likes this.
  7. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

What a great coincidence that just you were in the store at that time. ;) I wonder if prc will use this in their next article.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Ecotec16, Boris Lozac and zelimper like this.
  8. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Thats the problem with software, its a grey area because what defines a product as unfit for purpose, framerate issues are present on many games on the consoles, tearing less so but there are bugs in a lot of games as well, then you get problems like online not working in an online only game. What we have now is a compromise and its so edgy because say for example i buy AC, marathon it for the next week, get 200 hours in 7 days(dont ask how) and then return it isnt that a problem. Until law makers can hurry up and create some sort of law that defines this issue better aka copy what steam does and trace total play time it it very hard to define whats right and whats wrong and to defend against thieves(eg say the woman was fishing for sympathy and her son had no problems but she just wanted money after he was done with the game).

9. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

I gave up my seat on a train today and had to stand for 2 hours from London to Taunton...but you can have all my karma points for this very kind gesture....

It's a very valid point raised, and well made

czk51 and MBK72 like this.
  10. Zzcan

Zzcan Gamer

This GAME is a con and should be treated as such. As many warning as possible on social media to save others.
    As for this bunch caring the head dev the one who actually said he doesn't care about what console owners want. Is on holiday.
    No doubt enjoying that poor lady's money.
    Personally I don't think the whole thing should be investigated by the authorities. It's not remotely as described and is a laughing stock the world over

11. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

Yes absolutely fair points those. I remember when retailers used to allow disc based games to be returned for any reason with a certain time and this type of abuse was rife. Maybe I was a sucker, who knows, the young boys face gives me hope that I wasn't.

12. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

Who or what is prc?

13. djm99

djm99 Gamer

The day one patch was clearly not there to fix the framerates and tearing, that's patch which is due out soon.

14. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

What about the patch after the day one patch?

15. djm99

djm99 Gamer

Not a con, but a work in progress.

Seria17hri11er and Ischemica like this.
  16. djm99

djm99 Gamer

There hasn't been one !

17. MBK72

MBK72 Hardcore Simmer

Uh hu ok.

18. AC_CM505

AC_CM505 Staff Member

Hi all! So... Everyone is entitled to an opinion and we are totally open to constructive criticism. Trust us, our developers care and the last thing they want it to see their players upset and disappointed. :( The team are hard at work behind the scenes and there are some comments here that are totally unacceptable. As a result, we are locking this discussion.

Dookie and Seria17hri11er like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.