1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Why there aren't damage model how old sims?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Spark 2, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Spark 2

Spark 2 Gamer

Hi, i dont know if this is the right forum section.
    I miss the damage model of old sims as Grand prix 4 geoff grammond's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actually a big impact not is necessary a retirement of race, you not lost wheels or similar, only performance.

Why we can't get this in actual sims? I hope that a developer can answer me because I want know a real reason besides of community opinion. Its a BIG curiosity about actual race sims.

Thanks a lot!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay My Disc brakes aren't glowing anymore? Jul 14, 2022
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues RSR Live Timing Issue - assists aren't correct Dec 27, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Current Special Events stats aren't displayed. May 23, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Why aren't you using Track Attack? May 3, 2020
    ACC Gameplay View settings aren't honoured when cycling camera modes Mar 8, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Race time gaps aren't working correctly Feb 11, 2019
    ACC Gameplay My laps aren't saving locally Sep 16, 2018
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues LaFerrari seat seams and logo aren't showing May 26, 2017
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Apps aren't controllable / don't react on inputs Apr 3, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues My thrustmaster pedals aren't able to map Jul 23, 2016
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Realtime app gaps to cars ahead aren't working properly Oct 10, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Why aren't the japanese making racing sims? May 15, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues My pedals aren't being seen. Feb 16, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Mods aren't working Dec 15, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds What aren't tc and abs in the car setup screens? Oct 24, 2014

3. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

It's because manufacturers don't like their cars getting smashed up in games because it affects people's perceptions of their safety.

[puts on nomex suit and runs away]

Bill Wiskins and Horus like this.
  4. No. Lord Kunos himself--or perhaps it was Aris--has stated that is not true.

5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I would like to see more 'real' damage in game. If you crash into a wall at 150km/h its just to keep driving as it is now.

clockwork1904, Spark 2 and Tim Meuris like this.
  6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Adjust your sarcasm detector.

B2T:
    Modeling the cars accurately is demanding. Modeling the cars when damaged "correctly" (whatever that means) and accurately is even more demanding.

To be honest, there are so many tasks and there seems to be so much on the todo list, I can understand that they don't rate that as being very important.

If you don't have the aspiration to accurately model the physics of the cars, then you can implement a "correct" damage model without too much effort.

As a side-note: I was involved in a crash of a 72D and a 312T (which thankfully was standing in the midlde of the road behind a corner behind a crest) and the damage to the suspension was so severe it was almost impossible to do right-handed corners and thus get back to the pits.
    So at least for that sort of car, the damage model didn't seem to be that bad, at least regarding the physics.
    Optics are a different story, of course.

Horus and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  7. KWILD

KWILD Gamer

I think that it's a big step behind to not take account of graphical crash damages in modern sim racing.
    I remember even in the first Crammond G.P. you can split cars in two after an heavy crash!
    In the next future they can try to incorporate a scaled down version of a 3rd party technology like the one from BeamNG Drive :

Really amazing!

8. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Isnt beamng a game that is made to simulate crashed cars? If so, its not weird they do a good job with it. :)

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  9. People need to use /s tag.

Very hard to detect sarcasm through text.

LeDude83 likes this.
  10. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

IIRC, the approach that BeamNG uses is very similar to what Rigs'n'Rods does and for the latter it's actually included in the name.
    The whole geometry and mesh is simulated as a net/mesh of points and springs that hold the respective properties for the materials.

So if you apply dedicated load onto them – thanks to modern computing power – you can accurately simulate how they would behave under the given load, including deformation.
    While that is a very interesting approach, it's not yet the way to go for in a racing sim, since in reality the cars are very complex, especially if taking the surface (read: tarmac) etc. into account.

But I believe that at some (distant) point this approach is going to be the future. ;)

KWILD likes this.
  11. The text in brackets was used instead of the /s tag ;)

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  12. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I don't see the point on diverting resources to this. When you crash heavily then your race is over, all Kunos need to simulate is a non working car. You can make the crash pretty but what does that add to the sim really?

Mechanical damage from wear or abuse, yeah include all that stuff. Extreme crash simulation is just a waste of time imo.

Kade, Orne, Horus and 5 others like this.
  13. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

I think, (accurate) damage modelling like in BeamNG Drive is very CPU demanding.
    AC already is very CPU demanding because the physics of each car on track are being calculated (as far as I know).
    In my opinion it's all about compromises.
    In favour of accurate driving physics (of each car on track) we have to lower our sights on more accurate damage modelling.

But: I'd like to see a visually more appealing damage model in AC. For example, I still like the damage modelling in Race Driver Grid or - as mentioned above - older F1 titles.

14. Spark 2

Spark 2 Gamer

Im not demanding a accurate model or simple model, im curious why actual sims dont have lost of wheels at least when there are a big impact.
    I remember for example the punctures in X-car a game of 1997, or dark smoke when motor burn. If old games have that, acurate or not, why actual race sims dev dont make it?

And yes, will be well that kunos make a little more realistic damage in wheels or tyres/tires, only with that its very inmersive, isn't necessary a beam NG acurate model :D.

Yes, that is the point.

funnydwarf likes this.
  15. it's a pitty modern so called simulators concentrate more on graphics and other cosmetics, while forgeting about the details of mechanical damages , car body damage and othe stuff we miss,Like engine overheating/damaging from heat, and their conrresponding options in the setup to deal with it, i remember playing all those sims from the 90's and early 00's, there was a lot of detail put into those things,, much more advanced weather systems, and specially ai worked much better, i remember playing those grand prix and indycar, nascar from papyrus games, where you could have brake , clutch, fuel pump, failures, the weather in indycar in 1995 already had wind simulated that affected your top speed and cornering. Pits had much more detail and inmersion with mechanics that really changed your tyres and operated a fuel pump, while the jacks raised your car,, or in grand prix, mechanic that pulled your car into the Box, yeah there were garages :D.
    -Also diferent rules for each car types, aswell as far more advanced penalty systems, with drive thru, stop and go, etc.. pace car and formation laps, even recognise laps,.
    Wish all those things we've lost in the last generation, were back.

Jaood, Kopiller and Spark 2 like this.
  16. alex72

alex72 Alien

To be fair though we have puncture, wings/lip damage impacting grip, suspension damage that mess up your day pretty badly, smashed window making it hard to see in tight racing and of course....engine gone, kaputt, bye bye and sayonara mister. Of course it would be cool to see parts flying (i would love that!). Kunos was cool enough to also add those physics objects on track (blocking closed roads etc like cones and those styro foam blockers). They messed me up real good at times when lying on the track after someone hit them and they landed on the track. Hit it and wheels turned and took me right into a wall. :D

17. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

I've seen wheels come off in AC. It's rare, but I've seen it.

Epistolarius and Dookie like this.
  18. Because stuff like that all just based on personal decision...there's no reality to a engine overheating function or a fuel pump failure function...it's just a number that a dev feels is reasonable (and in the case of a fuel pump failure, sometimes completely randomized); in reality it's just not that simple (nor is it that random: if you prepare correctly you aren't going to have many issues with your car - a simple random/time based function can't account for that).

19. Horus

Horus Alien

This is like having a simulated toilet break for drivers, great for immersion but pointless for racing. Personally I do not care if the car looks broken, I care more about the broken mechanical parts of the car. A few times over the last few years I have had the pleasure of meeting wreckers and ne'er-do-wells on track and have been rather upset my car is undrivable from the damage incurred, not the idea of parts flying off in all directions. Yes pretty pixel pieces flashing past my helmet would be nice the first time, but I really would prefer the focus was on the damage to the mechanics than a pretty explosion of bits.

20. Spark 2

Spark 2 Gamer

Yes, my question was more focused to functionality of lost a wheel or wing, or a puncture, not a visual deformation purely cosmetic/esthetic. In Grand prix 4 for example was very difficult return to boxes if you were losing a wheel. The crash had consequences, now you can continue runing more or less after of accident.

21. Horus

Horus Alien

This will depend on the damage level set for the sever. If it is 100% and you have a right proper crash, bang, wallop then you can expect a much more difficult/impossible drive back to pits. I know as I have been there. :)