1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What a good test track

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Hotdog, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Hotdog

Hotdog Simracer

Quick question.
    What's a good track to test car setups on?
    I know the 'ring' has everything but it's too long for running 5 laps to sort things out.
    So I guess a track that has an even amount of lefts and rights plus a reasonable long section.
    What's peoples thoughts.
    Thanks

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Empty Tracks for pre-season testing / time of day adjustments in minutes May 15, 2020
    ACC Physics Which Track Temp is the fastest`? Apr 7, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Fastest times not displayed in track selection for IGT tracks Feb 16, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Test Track with Skidpad Oct 13, 2019
    Chit Chat Room So... is Tilke using Assetto Corsa to test his tracks? Apr 23, 2019
    Screens & Videos Cayman GT4 at TG test track Aug 12, 2017
    Suggestions Show track overlay on fastest/last-lap page May 27, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Top Gear Test Track vs Eboladrome Nov 26, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Porsche Test Track in Leipzig Nov 5, 2016
    Chit Chat Room 'The World's Fastest Cars' - 1987 Road & Track Test May 29, 2016
    Tracks modding Endless floor test track Jan 5, 2016
    Tracks modding [suggestion|request]ehra-lessien, biggest testtrack ... in the world! Sep 11, 2015
    Tracks modding .fbx files for top gear test track Aug 19, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Top gear test track camera problem Jul 19, 2015
    Tracks modding Suspensions test track 1.0 Jul 16, 2015

3. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Barcelona GP and Imola.

It has it all, but I still often miss the line and make mistakes, so it might not be ideal for everybody.
    At least I would struggle with consistency there and might have a hard time to tell if the setup really is faster or I had cleaner laps.

4. Orne

Orne Alien

I'm a fan of Grobnik. Its short and has a nice variety of turns that try to do their best in unsettling the car.

Robin_NL and ElPueblo like this.
  5. Top Gear! It even says so in the name :D So much fun!

6. LilSki

LilSki Alien

Riverside was used quite extensively back in the day for testing. It has one of the longest straights and it is a fairly simple layout to become consistent at. As for a modern track I would agree VIR has it all especially since it has so many different layouts.

7. jjmaxxracing

jjmaxxracing Alien

Definitely VIR, reminds me of a miniature version of Nords.

8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Well you can do 1 lap at the ring instead of 5 laps at other tracks. ;)

9. Robert M525

Robert M525 Gamer

I've always thought the Nürburgring GP course has a nice variety of corners and a fair number of straights and makes a good test track. It was always my go-to in Gran Turismo 6.

Robin_NL and djtopa like this.
  10. detoit

detoit Racer

For me Mugello is a great test track

Long radial medium/high speed turns
    2 double apex turns
    Long straight
    2 Chicanes going up and down
    Multiple low speed tight turns
    Off camber turns
    And lots of elevation changes
    Around 2 minutes

I like others but as a test track I've not come across a better. I wish we had a accurate laguna seca as there are so many real world onboard hotlaps to compare to.

Nathan

Sleeper Service and Horus like this.
  11. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Depends on what you want to do?
    There are numerous ways to setup a car, some will suit some tracks better than others.

You won't be able to create a setup that works best on Monza and Brands Hatch.

For an overall general setup for street cars (if that is what you're asking for), I'd go for the Nordschleife, because IMO, it's closest to a public road (apart from the curbs, obviously :D).
    For race tracks, you can't make a single setup, but at least setups for 2-3 types of tracks (fast, bendy and mixed), maybe more.
    There are some tracks for which you can swap setups relatively easily (some adjustments might be needed), e.g. setups made for Spa will work quite well at the Nürburgring and on the Nordschleife as well as Imola (all mixed type of tracks).
    Depending on the car (read: amount of downforce) you can get away with that on other tracks like Barcelona as well.

Barcelona might need more downforce, Imola a softer suspension (due to the curbs).

12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

True, it is, but it's a relatively "special" track, setup wise. The temp in the tyres is normally much higher than on other tracks and that long high-speed and very bumpy bend requires a special setup (you can't really neglect it or you will lose a lot of time. Tried that before).

13. Any track where you are the most comfortable and that doesnt have "extreme" characteristics, like super long straights or extremely tight sections.

Basically, any average track will work, as long as you are consistent. That will give you the best base setup.

Anything else will be on a "per track" basis.

Nao likes this.
  14. Horus

Horus Alien

Already mentioned by @detoit , Mugello all the way. It has everything you need, I'm biased though as it is one of my all time favourites. :)

15. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Silverstone National. Its nice and short so you can spam laps to get an idea of pace in no time. It has a fast bit with a high speed corner and a slow bit and you get lots of practice at right handers, great if your not an ambi-turner.

garyjpaterson and Nao like this.
  16. Nao

Nao Alien

If i were to recommend a track ... it would be Vallelunga lol, It has one of the tightest turns in game (good for testing diffs etc), while it's relatively twisty in places it's a more of a "high speed track" (more Monza than Mugello) aerodynamics wise. Also the 180° turns are so flat/wide/long they test the actual setup quite well - on shorter turns driver can often compensate some of the deficiencies (sometimes not even thinking about it) but 180° forces you to actually "corner" for some time and each phase is clearly visible. There are also kerbs of variable height to rub front splitter on. Pretty good overall package :)

That said as William mentions, comfort is the king and for me most comparing/testing happens at Silver-Nat (thou you need to know what you want already as that track is pretty featureless :p).

AmorFati and Andy-R like this.
  17. Hotdog

Hotdog Simracer

Interesting reading peoples opinions. Thanks for the input. I know you have to 'tweak' for individual tracks but just something that will give you a bit of everything to get a basic setup going and then move on from there.
    I have had a run at VIR and did enjoy it. So I'll most likely sit with it for the time being.

18. ElPueblo

ElPueblo Hardcore Simmer

I'd vote for Grobnik or VIR :)

Orne likes this.
  19. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

As already stated but I always try Nürburgring GP first(all I need uphill downhill not too long), or Grobnik(bumps in braking zone, hilly) or after that Barcelona( some tighter corners, longer straights/ braking zones.)

Cheers
    Robin

20. AmorFati

AmorFati Hardcore Simmer

For me I feel the most comfortable to test new setups and or cars at Vallelunga.