1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Struggling

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 Discussions' started by DozUK, Dec 6, 2016.

1. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

I've just bought this today and I have to admit I'm struggling to enjoy it.

Admittedly I've not given it time yet but I find the sense of speed unbelievably slow. Turning a corner at low speeds of 30-40 mph feels like a standing start, I'm sure the car is stationary.

I really want to enjoy this game, I've read the bad reviews and comments but bought it anyway as I wanted this to be a good alternative to project cars.

I fully understand the limitations with career and game modes but that doesn't concern me, I wanted to run with the physics and enjoy hotlapping but I'm finding it very unresponsive and slow.

Anyway, early days and I'll keep plugging away. I want to enjoy this game but it's not helping itself at the moment.

Does anyone recommend a good way to get into this sim? I tried the Fiat 500 career as a starter but just couldn't keep up with the cars in the first race. Their brake lights didn't seem to come on they don't seem to scrape round the corners like I do.

Thanks
    Doz

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality For all you Vr guys struggling with fps, try this out: Jan 7, 2020
    ACC Gameplay AI is still struggling at Eau Rouge/Raidillon & Blanchimont also Bruxelles Nov 1, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals FFB at Curbs Struggling Jan 20, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Struggling to keep control Sep 16, 2018
    Chit Chat Room struggling with sf15-t at bahrain Apr 21, 2017
    Chit Chat Room struggling with nvidia drivers Dec 27, 2016
    Chit Chat Room To anyone struggling with the Huracan... Jun 13, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Struggling with brakes and win 10 issues Jan 4, 2016
    Chit Chat Room For them who are struggling to make a server/opening ports Nov 2, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Struggling to break loose the rears. Apr 2, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Is AC struggling to keep people interested? Feb 13, 2014

3. Larryf1951

Larryf1951 Hardcore Simmer

Have you updated it. Two patches have been released to improve the game.

4. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

Yes I have thanks, I'm up to date. I've tried the first special event (bmw) also and just finding the sense of speed awful.
    I'll keep plugging away, love the intro video, I'm just finding the playing experience not too enjoyable. Early days but it's not pulling me in

5. Horus

Horus Alien

If you are looking for that fake 'zoom' effect you get in some games then you could try upping the g-forces to the max, along with DOF. But to be honest without a triple screen layout you will not get any sort of peripheral movement which will make you seem like you are going slow. Try it in a car, when you are not driving, blinker yourself to the sides and look straight ahead and you will not think you are going as fast as when you have peripheral vision. As for getting faster in the cars, well that comes from practice and if you are not getting along with AC you will fail to get the practice in. It is worth it, but hey if we all liked the same things wouldn't it be a boring world. Good luck getting something close to what you want.

Larryf1951 likes this.
  6. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

Try 60 FOV and race with steering wheel in view, if you haven't tried that.

7. Larryf1951

Larryf1951 Hardcore Simmer

To be honest, I was not at all impressed at first either. But part of that is because I was expecting a pseudo-sim. I have seen games claim to be realistic, but end up being arcade-y. AC has done away with the gimickry. And before you call me a fanboy, know that I am also aware of the games current warts.
    I'd say skip that BMW special event, it is a wacky car to drive on that tight track. Play around with the lotus or try some of the time attacks.
    The game has some strengths, give it some time

pippo10 and Horus like this.
  8. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll certainly stick with. I knew beforehand the limited game modes and lack of leaderboards etc but I bought it as I was more interested the physics and tire model. I was just surprised at a few things once I got started. It didn't feel real, things didn't make sense while I drove. the car felt slow but yet I would still slide while turning at low speeds with no resistance or grip. A kind guy messaged me directly with some advanced settings to try and that actually changed things quite considerably for me surprisingly. I used it with the fiat 500 in the race I mentioned above and it felt much much better although I'm not sure why.

I'm certainly not going anywhere I really want to like and enjoy this game, it just needs practice and I've come from a lot of hours spent on Project Cars (Which I love and will continue to play in the area's where that this game doesn't provide like career for instance).

Thanks again for your suggestions and help, much appreciated.

9. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

I find a with some cars I lose the sense of speed, on these ones I tend to drive with bonnet cam rather than cockpit cam which helps it feel faster....

10. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

I found it just took me time to retrain my brain, as I was so used to driving arcade racers with 60° FOV.

When I first switched to 46° it felt so pedestrian but now it simply feels right (and the Lotus 49 still scares me!)

vlado Cro and Larryf1951 like this.
  11. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

It would be interesting to know if OP compared AC to pCars with the same view and FOV. IIRW pCars has a speed sensitive FOV that can transition to another FOV as you pick up speed. You could even set the threshold speed last time I tried.

But this is unrealistic - there's nothing besides motion blur and camera shaking that will increse sense of speed - and AC has it both.
    Don't get me wrong - it's a nice option to have and I can see how people would want to use it. But it's also logical how a pure sim doesn't feature it.

Dunno if AMS or iRacing have variable FOV. I find they're all exactly the same as AC with the same FOV.

12. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

Hi, thanks for your comments. Good suggestion with trying bonnet view over cockpit when finding it slow.

Also, to answer another question I do tend to use cockpit view in both AC and PCars and I used the default FOV in both games. To be honest, I don't usually change this, should I? I don't really know too much about the benefits of this.

I did have a run out in the Lotus 98T as this is the car I've recently been spending a lot of time with in PCars so I wanted to compare. I did get a much faster sense of speed with this car (Obviously) but as mentioned the slower cars did appear like they were at a standstill when turning in corners between 30-40 mph.

I'm also noticing while doing the special events and the career (Don't really see the difference in these options, they both just look like events only with career controlling the difficulty) that my tires quickly go from hot to cold (In all cars I've tried). Should I be tinkering with pressures etc to counter this to be able to complete the challenges or do people just complete these with default setups? I think what I'm asking is should I be spending time tuning in the challenges/career or just for my own timed hotlaps and personal fun?

Thanks

13. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Mate, before the discussion can possibly go any further, go and adjust the FOV to the same value. Google projectimmersion - they have a FOV calculator. FOV is THE (!!!!) determining factor when it comes to sense of speed ;-)

14. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

I've just looked at that, thanks very much for sharing. I was unaware of this so I appreciate your reply

LeDude83 likes this.
  15. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

In the leaflet i got with AC it says 60 FOV will give greater sense of speed whilst 50FOV will give slower sense of speed but let you see the apex easier. Also worth noting that on a track like Silverstone you're not going to get the sense of speed that you would on a track like Zandvoort (spelling) for instance. I should mention it felt slow to me when i first played but it all makes sense now. 30-40 MPH really isn't that fast.

16. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

Hi, thanks for the reply, I get that 30-40 isn't that fast it just seemed like I was not moving at all but rotating a stationary car. It felt like creep mode in a automatic car for example. I'm glad you mentioned that it felt slow to yourself at the start, so I'm sure I will adapt to this.

It's interesting that you say 50fov or 60 fov, I used the calculator kindly suggested above but after entering my details it came out as a suggested fov of 36.24 for AC and 60 for project cars. It also highlighted that AC used horizontal (hence the lower figure) and PC used vertical or vice versa to explain the difference in numbers. I'm pretty sure though (Although could well be wrong) that AC only allowed me to change between 50 and 60 anyway so I couldn't enter 36.24?

pippo10 likes this.
  17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@DozUK well done, now you have your numbers. If AC only allows down to 50 on consoles that sucks of course. But you can still do the comparison by pretending in the calculator that your screen was a lot bigger, so that the AC Value is around 50. Enter this fake screen size into pCats calculator and compare the sims. Make sure to deactivate speed sensitive FOV in pCars. Let me know if it still feels much different.

And BTW: when I decreased my FOV to a sort of accurate value in AC it felt crazy slow at first....like I could take any corner at 200 kph...it needs some getting used to.

vlado Cro and Fat-Alfie like this.
  18. DozUK

DozUK Gamer

I'm not 100% sure that AC only let's me go between 50 and 60, I've only had the sim one night but I did look at options and settings and that's in my head right now but I could be wrong.

If it is though, thanks for the alternative, I'll be sure to do that and report back how it goes. Thanks very much

pippo10 and LeDude83 like this.