1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Grand Prix movie 50th Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by leon_90, Dec 21, 2016.

1. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

Hi lads,

Today it marks the 50th anniversary since Grand Prix came out :)

[​IMG]

The film that redefined the racing movies category, with Winning and Les 24 Heuers of Le Mans following later on. Frankenheimer wanted real racing scenes, with real cars, real drivers on real venues. Something never done before. Yes he had to come to some compromises by using sometimes cars powered by F3 engines, but still everything is shot in action. No CGI, no fake special effects, no garbage whatsoever, with the help and advice of professional racing drivers like Brabham, Hill, Stewart, etc.

[​IMG]

This movie inspired James Garner brief career in the motorsport, in the US F5000, and Chris Amon's helmet style, among many other things. More also, the tragic and fatal accident occured to Lorenzo Bandini the next year, was on the exact same spot that he himself suggested to Frankenheimer as good for a spectacular crash :(

Have a look at the scenes from the Brands Hatch GP in the movie

Little Trivia: Garner was really in the fire, and once the insurers saw the flames spitting on his face decided to retire every form of insurance; he had to shoot the last part of the movie without it :D definitely something not likely to happen nowadays :p

Info http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6537

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge 191 - 70th Anniversary Formula 1 Grand Prix Challenge and dusk, in the land Aug 8, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room [AC/ACC: Virtual Grand Prix] Jan 19, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room [AC GPL Mod] Grand Prix Legends Grand Prix League, the return! (from January) Dec 17, 2018
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap #98 - Grand Prix Legend Sep 30, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Grand Prix Legends appreciation thread Mar 6, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Grand Prix Driver Feb 11, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Donington Park Grand Prix Circuit 1938 0.9 Sep 21, 2017
    Chit Chat Room 50's and older grand prix cars licensing Jul 6, 2017
    Chit Chat Room 1906 Le Mans Grand Prix Oct 8, 2016
    Liveries nissan gtr r35 Masato Kawabata D1 grand prix Apr 9, 2016
    Online Leagues / Championships room Redline Racing League Formula 1 Grand Prix League FW-31 Mar 26, 2016
    Online Leagues / Championships room Lotus evora grand prix of indonesia Nov 8, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Us grand prix (no spoilers) Oct 25, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Grand prix of le sequestre Feb 8, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Grand prix of stuttgart, feb 1, 2015, 19:30 gmt Feb 1, 2015

3. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

I love that movie. Gonna watch it again in tribute tonight!

vegaguy 5555 and Seria17hri11er like this.
  4. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Probably my favorite movie ever, certainly my favorite motorsports movie. It's a cinematic masterpiece, the effort and risk that went into making it is just amazing. It's also very profound, the ending scene is forever stuck in my head. Watching the "making of" bonus on the DVD is just as good as the movie, what they had to do to make this film can likely never be done again.

5. AvGas

AvGas Gamer

Fantastic Movie, one of few that I bought online, in VHS because I could not find it anywhere. Now of course, have BluRay copy. Best sounding, best looking, best story of any racing movie, ever. Far better than LeMans. Just watching the intro sequence at Monaco, with the sound up to 11 in surround sends shivers down my back and then, invariably, I end up in the Lotus 25 or 49 ripping around at Monza '66. Yeesh. Frankenheimer also did amazing things with cars in Ronin. In other news, Symonds is out at Williams, and Massa is back, which means it's pretty much a done deal that Bottas goes to Merc. Should be a keen season indeed. Massa will have no choice but to just run with the car and go hell for leather. Merry Christmas.

6. Well damn, I'm definitely going to have to watch this!

Ace Pumpkin and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  7. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

Yeah!! Me too!
    I wish you guys lived closer. It would be a lot of fun having a beer and watching this with other people who appreciate historic racing as much as I do.:)

PS Can't drive now. Wheel still not working.:(

8. rge75

rge75 Simracer

Too bad it's not being broadcasted here today (and don't have it on DVD/BD, which is a shame). Last time I saw it was on VHS many years ago. The trivia about the movie is really interesting as well as the link. Thanks for sharing.

I'd say I'll have to honor the movie and its anniversary by simply doing a race in the Lotus 49 today :) Unfortunately those servers are often pretty empty though.

Seria17hri11er and leon_90 like this.
  9. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

It is also avalaible on Youtube in it's full lenght, but please show your support by legally buying a copy if you like it :)

rge75 likes this.
  10. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Best racing movie.

11. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Just watched it again, and it's aging very well. It's refreshing to have scenes that are actually quiet. No music or dialogue, just actors an screen. Some of the photography is just plain amazing too. It's just quality stuff!

12. yusupov

yusupov Alien

definitely give it props, but i also take sides; mcqueen's le mans is completely uncompromising, one of the craziest anti-movies i've ever seen. fast-forwarded thru 90% of grand prix.

13. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

I like that movies from back then require a little more attention span than a hungry toddler.

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Fat-Alfie and Seria17hri11er like this.
  14. yusupov

yusupov Alien

...missed the point entirely...

Atle Dreier likes this.
  15. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Probably. Haven't seen Le Mans. :)

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

yusupov likes this.
  16. yusupov

yusupov Alien

the simracer in me fastforwards thru 90% of grand prix because...

:D

17. André57

André57 Racer

Funny thing is that I was riding 60s hockenheim this morning with 67 classic car, after the session was thinking about this movie. I saw it when I was kid and never forget the feeling. I was also wondering if it exist in DVD or something so ... ty guys for this thread I will lok for it and watch it again soon :) And yes I am that old:D and still a gamer;)

18. Ozcanuck55

Ozcanuck55 Racer

I've had the 2 DVD set for a few years now...it was very, very hard to find. Finally snagged it in a Chapters book store of all places and paid full price, but worth it. My fave racing movie, although Lemans is close behind.

Seria17hri11er and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  19. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Fast forwarding through 90% of the movie is missing the point entirely IMO. There's an epic story in there which culminates at the end and it wouldn't be nearly as powerful without all the non-racing stuff. I think it's one of those stories that everyone may interpret a bit differently, and one only a petrolhead can fully grasp, but I was literally thinking about it for several days after I watched it, still gives me the chills just thinking about it now. Le Mans shows the intricacies and emotions of a race, Grand Prix delves into why we race. Both are fantastic and make great companion pieces, the two best motorsport movies ever made. Not trying to argue with your or say your opinion is wrong or anything, just sharing a different point of view. To me the story in Grand Prix is just as good as the epic racing scenes, but it's not until the final scene that it all comes together.

If anyone is an Amazon Prime member you can get the 2-disk BluRay for about $10 USD, if you haven't seen it before you owe yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Two-Di...TF8&qid=1482414905&sr=8-1&keywords=grand+prix

20. vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  21. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

You won't regret it. That and Le Mans are my most treasured discs. Be sure to watch the bonus content, there's a piece that goes into detail about how they made the movie and it's almost as entertaining as the movie itself.

While you're shopping, I'd also highly recommend these two. One's a documentary about the making of Le Mans and the other is about the racing life of Paul Newman. Both are absolutely fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Steve-McQuee...1482422628&sr=8-1&keywords=the+man+and+lemans

https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Raci...22728&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+newman+racing+life

vegaguy 5555 and Seria17hri11er like this.